Home / Toyota Supra Forums

Go Back   Toyota Supra Forums! Join the Supra forum! > Performance, Modification, and Maintenance Forums - for generation specific discussions > MKIII Supra

Old 03-19-2007, 08:00 PM   #1
dannydavi
12psi boost

dannydavi is on a distinguished road
Default Auto to Manual transmission?

hey im looking to swap my auto in my 86 supra out with a manual transmission, and i was looking for a tutorial on it... similar to this one that i found in the MKIV thread. If anyone know where i can find this tut or if anyone could supply me with this tut that would be awesome... thanks in advance.

thread i found it on.
http://www.toyota-supra.info/forums/...ead.php?t=7932
actual conversion
http://www.mkiv.com/techarticles/aut...wap/index.html
ToyotaPart.com
MKIIITSRM

Last edited by dannydavi; 04-04-2007 at 02:56 AM.
dannydavi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2007, 02:34 AM   #2
dannydavi
12psi boost

bump ***** bump
ToyotaPart.com
MKIIITSRM
Old 03-22-2007, 03:31 PM   #3
redmaro
walbro fp

redmaro is on a distinguished road

I dont know about a website that goes step by step, but you can check the FAQ's section and theres a sticky where it tells you what you need for the swap.
Old 03-22-2007, 09:38 PM   #4
dannydavi
12psi boost

Quote:
Originally Posted by redmaro
I dont know about a website that goes step by step, but you can check the FAQ's section and theres a sticky where it tells you what you need for the swap.
hey thanks man, but i couldnt find that in the FAQ, how far down is it?
ToyotaPart.com
MKIIITSRM
Old 03-22-2007, 10:35 PM   #5
redmaro
walbro fp

redmaro is on a distinguished road

Here you go VVVVVVVVV

http://www.toyota-supra.info/forums/...p?t=354&page=1
Old 03-22-2007, 10:59 PM   #6
dannydavi
12psi boost

oh i see thanks man.
ToyotaPart.com
MKIIITSRM
Old 04-02-2007, 08:35 PM   #7
dannydavi
12psi boost

bringing this one back from the dead, i need to know any/all transmissions that will work with my 86.5 n/a for my swap. Like what year car would i be able to take it from, or perhaps the name of the trans that would work on mine, thanks guys.
ToyotaPart.com
MKIIITSRM
Old 04-02-2007, 10:36 PM   #8
dcrusupra
500whp yet?

dcrusupra is on a distinguished road

The non turbo tranny and turbo tranny from all years will work. Except one from a 1JZ. They have a different bellhousing on it.
Old 04-02-2007, 10:43 PM   #9
dannydavi
12psi boost

thanks alot man, im going to go and try to get all the parts i need from the many pick n pulls around me, so just grabbing those things off any mkIII supra will be fine then huh? even the flywheel and pedals and everything else i need or might those vary?

clutch pedal
brake pedal
clutch master cylinder
clutch slave cylinder
manual driveshaft
manual gearbox
manual bellhousing to fit your engine
clutch kit to suit whatever gearbox you have
clutch line to go between the master and slave cylinders
driveshafts and prop shafts

anything else you guys can think of or is this all? thanks in advace
ToyotaPart.com
MKIIITSRM
Old 04-04-2007, 01:43 AM   #10
dannydavi
12psi boost

Exclamation hmmm..

Here is something i found on it... kinda what i was looking for... not exactly, but i thought id share it with the forum... and if any experts out there disagree or would choose a dif route please do share..

Automatic –Manual conversion

“Apparently” it’s an insane thing to want to do as the automatics are “apparently” worth more… but I wanted a manual... and my old gearbox had died... so this is what I did…

First things first, there are 2 types of manual mk3 Supra gearbox, the W58, and the R154.
The W58 is found on the MA-70 3.0 N/A Supras, and for some reason the GA-70 2.0 twin turbo Supras (if you can find a manual one!) it is a very smooth shifting gearbox, and was still in production in the MKIV Supra The R154 was found on the MA-70 3.0 turbo Supras, and the JZA-70 2.5 twin turbo models, it’s a stronger gearbox, with a much more heavy duty clutch. The clutch setup is different from most in that the pressure plate is bolted to the flywheel AFTER the bell housing has been mounted on the engine block, via 2 small service flaps.
Below: R154 clutch (left) W58 clutch (right)

For my 1990 N/A supra converted to turbo, I chose the R154.

(W58 pictured)

What you’ll need for R154 conversion (supra turbo manual)
• R154 gearbox. (Make sure the dealers know what they are talking about I had the wrong gearbox sent to me, and it held me back MONTHS trying to get them to take it back!)
• Supra manual turbo prop shaft
• Supra manual turbo gearboxes mount.
• BOTH service flaps (for flywheel access)
• Front flywheel cover.
• Both gearbox support brackets
• Lower section of speedo cable.
• Gear shifter
• Gear gaiter and knob
• Rubber seals and metal bracket to hold the seals in place (seals shifter/tranny tunnel gap)
• R154 flywheel (it’s a great opportunity to get it lightened too)
• Clutch pressure plate, clutch, release bearing, and release fork.
• Hydraulic clutch slave cylinder and pipe work.
• Hydraulic clutch master cylinder and pedal assembly
• Manual brake pedal
• Manual ECU

I managed to source all this for ?350

First of all remove the existing gearbox and prop shaft. To do this, first remove the cross bar that sits under the engine block, it’s held on by 2 large bolts and easily comes off! Undo all the bolts around the gearbox bell housing, and the support brackets either side…. you’ll find the top two right next to the bulkhead are impossible to get to undo… so drain the gearbox, remove the prop shaft and gear stick shaft (manual) or gear linkage (auto) then undo the rear gearbox mount, allowing the entire engine and gearbox to swing backwards on its mounts, you’ll now find that a long extension bar with a universal joint on the end will reach those bolts and off comes the gearbox!!! Make sure any earth straps are disconnected before you try and undo the last bolts!!! Don’t forget to disconnect the multiplugs that run from the engine loom to the gearbox. Remove the flywheel.

The R154 gearbox fits straight in in the same manner as the old one, the only difference being the clutch set up.

Bolt the new flywheel onto the crankshaft, without the clutch or pressure plate on it… instead slide these into the bell housing and position the release fork and slave cylinder. Place the clutch disk itself on the shaft that the pressure plate is sitting on (THE RIGHT WAY ROUND!!! But we’ll not go into that one….) and bolt the gearbox onto the engine as normal.

Once its on use the two service flaps as access to bolt the pressure plate onto the flywheel… turning the engine over at the crank and tightening up each nut bit by bit.. It’s a bit fiddly at first but its how it’s done!

Fit the shorter R154 prop, do up the multi plugs and fill her up with oil.

For those of us that don’t have an oil pump for filing up transmissions, you can pour it in thru the hole where the gear shifter goes.

The worst part of this conversion is by far the pedals. I removed the driver’s seat for easier access... but it’s not essential. First swap over the large automatic brake pedal for the smaller manual one, then bolt in the master cylinder/clutch pedal assembly. It’s very simple to do but takes a while... it’s a tight working space down there!!!

Connect the slave and master cylinder using brake line (ask a scrap yard nicely to try and get the original stuff out in one piece!) and fill the clutch reservoir with DOT 3 or higher brake/clutch fluid... the bleed point is on the slave cylinder.

Bolt the shifter on, install your trim and you’re only left with one last job, replacing the ECU. Easily done, the ECU is behind the glove box, and swaps over with 4 screws and 3 multi plugs.

You can now enjoy getting the most out of your supra turbo engine.

Good luck!!!!
ToyotaPart.com
MKIIITSRM