Home / Toyota Supra Forums

Go Back   Toyota Supra Forums! Join the Supra forum! > Performance, Modification, and Maintenance Forums - for generation specific discussions > MKIII Supra

Old 04-04-2007, 02:08 AM   #11
dannydavi
12psi boost

dannydavi is on a distinguished road
Default more tut's

and yet another neat tutorial....

http://www.geocities.com/jg_xsboost/...ransplant.html
ToyotaPart.com
MKIIITSRM
dannydavi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2007, 10:38 AM   #12
linuxgurupodboy
Intake

linuxgurupodboy is on a distinguished road
Default I would like one speedo that works with my burger please

I bought my car with the conversion already done. But when the digital dash says I'm doing 80km/h, I'm actually doing 100km/h.

Can someone please help me.

"If you don't make dust, you eat dust"

linuxgurupodboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2007, 01:52 AM   #13
tone loc
20psi boost

tone loc is on a distinguished road

danny did you do the wiring
tone loc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2007, 06:46 AM   #14
dannydavi
12psi boost

i havent done the swap yet, and may not, but my plans were to keep the existing. I think im coming across another supra 5sp so the whole swap wont be neccessary on my current one . Some one i know owes me money and doesnt have any so he said you want a supra lol so i might take him up on that. I think it's an '89 not sure about turbo. i'll get more info on that to come though... not that it belongs in manual to auto swap
ToyotaPart.com
MKIIITSRM
Old 05-14-2007, 10:12 AM   #15
808Supra
Stock

808Supra is on a distinguished road
Default wow

Hey bro, thanks for this great post.
Ive been trying to do the conversion for a while, the shops near me dont want to touch her, so this helped alot. I was gunna go onto a military base and use one of thier car shops, but i can only use it for three days. How many man hours did it take you?
808Supra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2007, 08:20 PM   #16
dannydavi
12psi boost

like my previous post said i havent done it and probably wont since im hopefully getting a 5 speed soon. But, after researching it for awhile i've spoke with a few people who have gotten it done in a couple days, three days should be sufficient enough time for a average mechanic to get it done. and if not done then you can deffinetly get the shop required stuff done then you could toe back to house and do other things. But honestly i think with full days of work you'll get it done no prob. good luck with that, let us know how it goes. And perhaps take pictures and make your own tutorial and share with us lol. what car do you have?
ToyotaPart.com
MKIIITSRM
Old 05-14-2007, 08:32 PM   #17
supradaddy0803
12psi boost

supradaddy0803 is on a distinguished road

one thing I have noticed when I was doing my 1JZGTE swap that is now on hold again is the snub for the 154 is bigger around than the one that came off my 7MGE tranny now I need to find different u-joint becasue the caps on the both of them are different sizes also. But they do make u-joints with two different size cap I hope because then I would have to buy the whole propeller shaft.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannydavi
Here is something i found on it... kinda what i was looking for... not exactly, but i thought id share it with the forum... and if any experts out there disagree or would choose a dif route please do share..

Automatic –Manual conversion

“Apparently” it’s an insane thing to want to do as the automatics are “apparently” worth more… but I wanted a manual... and my old gearbox had died... so this is what I did…

First things first, there are 2 types of manual mk3 Supra gearbox, the W58, and the R154.
The W58 is found on the MA-70 3.0 N/A Supras, and for some reason the GA-70 2.0 twin turbo Supras (if you can find a manual one!) it is a very smooth shifting gearbox, and was still in production in the MKIV Supra The R154 was found on the MA-70 3.0 turbo Supras, and the JZA-70 2.5 twin turbo models, it’s a stronger gearbox, with a much more heavy duty clutch. The clutch setup is different from most in that the pressure plate is bolted to the flywheel AFTER the bell housing has been mounted on the engine block, via 2 small service flaps.
Below: R154 clutch (left) W58 clutch (right)

For my 1990 N/A supra converted to turbo, I chose the R154.

(W58 pictured)

What you’ll need for R154 conversion (supra turbo manual)
• R154 gearbox. (Make sure the dealers know what they are talking about I had the wrong gearbox sent to me, and it held me back MONTHS trying to get them to take it back!)
• Supra manual turbo prop shaft
• Supra manual turbo gearboxes mount.
• BOTH service flaps (for flywheel access)
• Front flywheel cover.
• Both gearbox support brackets
• Lower section of speedo cable.
• Gear shifter
• Gear gaiter and knob
• Rubber seals and metal bracket to hold the seals in place (seals shifter/tranny tunnel gap)
• R154 flywheel (it’s a great opportunity to get it lightened too)
• Clutch pressure plate, clutch, release bearing, and release fork.
• Hydraulic clutch slave cylinder and pipe work.
• Hydraulic clutch master cylinder and pedal assembly
• Manual brake pedal
• Manual ECU

I managed to source all this for ?350

First of all remove the existing gearbox and prop shaft. To do this, first remove the cross bar that sits under the engine block, it’s held on by 2 large bolts and easily comes off! Undo all the bolts around the gearbox bell housing, and the support brackets either side…. you’ll find the top two right next to the bulkhead are impossible to get to undo… so drain the gearbox, remove the prop shaft and gear stick shaft (manual) or gear linkage (auto) then undo the rear gearbox mount, allowing the entire engine and gearbox to swing backwards on its mounts, you’ll now find that a long extension bar with a universal joint on the end will reach those bolts and off comes the gearbox!!! Make sure any earth straps are disconnected before you try and undo the last bolts!!! Don’t forget to disconnect the multiplugs that run from the engine loom to the gearbox. Remove the flywheel.

The R154 gearbox fits straight in in the same manner as the old one, the only difference being the clutch set up.

Bolt the new flywheel onto the crankshaft, without the clutch or pressure plate on it… instead slide these into the bell housing and position the release fork and slave cylinder. Place the clutch disk itself on the shaft that the pressure plate is sitting on (THE RIGHT WAY ROUND!!! But we’ll not go into that one….) and bolt the gearbox onto the engine as normal.

Once its on use the two service flaps as access to bolt the pressure plate onto the flywheel… turning the engine over at the crank and tightening up each nut bit by bit.. It’s a bit fiddly at first but its how it’s done!

Fit the shorter R154 prop, do up the multi plugs and fill her up with oil.

For those of us that don’t have an oil pump for filing up transmissions, you can pour it in thru the hole where the gear shifter goes.

The worst part of this conversion is by far the pedals. I removed the driver’s seat for easier access... but it’s not essential. First swap over the large automatic brake pedal for the smaller manual one, then bolt in the master cylinder/clutch pedal assembly. It’s very simple to do but takes a while... it’s a tight working space down there!!!

Connect the slave and master cylinder using brake line (ask a scrap yard nicely to try and get the original stuff out in one piece!) and fill the clutch reservoir with DOT 3 or higher brake/clutch fluid... the bleed point is on the slave cylinder.

Bolt the shifter on, install your trim and you’re only left with one last job, replacing the ECU. Easily done, the ECU is behind the glove box, and swaps over with 4 screws and 3 multi plugs.

You can now enjoy getting the most out of your supra turbo engine.

Good luck!!!!
Tokico pillow blocks
Suspension Techniques front and rear sway bar
HKS super dragger cat-back exhaust plus test pipe
Greddy Profec B spec 2 boost controller
HKS type 1 turbo timer
Supra sport solid steel drive shaft
Walboro 255 fuel pump
JZA70 Front end mod
18" Volk Racing AV3 18x8.5 front 18x9.5 rear
supradaddy0803 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2007, 08:34 PM   #18
dannydavi
12psi boost

thanks for the added info to the topic, update on what your outcome is.
ToyotaPart.com
MKIIITSRM
Old 05-18-2007, 05:16 AM   #19
808Supra
Stock

808Supra is on a distinguished road
Default re car

Ive got an 89 Turbo, its been match ported, steel HG, 3" exhaust, running 12 psi, turbotimer, a straight threw pipe, thats all i can think of atm, ive done alot of renovations like new radiator n such, I was clearning the gnine bya with electrical parts cleaner from napa and it runs like shit now. Ofcoarse it runs better now that i fixed all the vacume hosing my mechanic botched. Anyway im getting power in 1,2,andr so im slap the 1993+ 5spd manual in it and say goodby to endless automatic tranny bs.
808Supra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2007, 05:33 AM   #20
twerb089
3" Exhaust

twerb089 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by 808Supra
Anyway im getting power in 1,2,andr so im slap the 1993+ 5spd manual in it and say goodby to endless automatic tranny bs.
i believe those have different bellhousing patterns dont they?

i have an automatic that i will be converting pretty soon. and i dont think that you would have to switch out the ECU. and if your doing this on a budget you only need the top part of the driveshaft.
no A/C or P/S, therefore no ac condensor, compressor and no ps pump or resivior.
gutted interior, 4 tweeters, 2 kicker 12"s powered by an MTX 400W 350rms and an audiobahn 400W 300rms
twerb089 is offline   Reply With Quote