Home / Toyota Supra Forums

Go Back   Toyota Supra Forums! Join the Supra forum! > Performance, Modification, and Maintenance Forums - for generation specific discussions > MKIII Supra

Old 02-24-2007, 04:06 AM   #11
west_side_supra
12psi boost

west_side_supra is on a distinguished road

ok well ive put more gas in, and it was running fine for about 3 days then i pushed it hard and long and the check engine light came back on, did that slow down thing almost as if the clutch was slipping. but thats definatly not the case. so i went around asking my local shops and car peoples what they think it may be this is what i have gotten so far

1.Injectors
2.Fuel filter
3.Accordian hose (inlet pipe for turbo that ugly rubber thingy)
4.timing
5.CAT
6.oxegen sensor <that didnt make sense to me because if it was that the case then the light would be on all the time

7MGTE - 500hp never dyno'd
exhaust: 3inch pipes no cat/powerhouse manifold/garret gt47 18psi/HKS SS racing wastegate
fidenza cam gears
intake: PHR 4inch intake/K&N filter/3 inch intercooler/ pipeFMIC/greddy type R bov/
fuel: 550cc PTE/ walbro 255lp / Aeromotive adj pressure regulator
transmission: Fidenza flywheel/ACT extreme kit
electronics: map ecu 1 / HKS EVC 9
gauges:boost,EGT,oil temp & pressure/aem AFR
west_side_supra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2007, 04:33 AM   #12
IHateHacks
20psi boost

IHateHacks is on a distinguished road

I'm telling you, you are running too much boost.

You can rule out 80% of what this "shop" told you.

You can check the resistance of the fuel injectors, 1.8-3.4 ohms for turbo models, but I already have the feeling you need bigger ones, and a bigger fuel pump running that much boost.

You should have replaced the fuel filter before you even started driving this vehicle so if you haven't yet, do it.

Accordian hose? Take it off and check for cracks. Better yet, check ALL vacuum hoses for cracks, i.e. ISC hose, PCV hoses, etc.

Like the fuel filter you should have set base ignition timing before you registered this vehicle.

You can test the O2 sensor voltage feedback. Connect a voltmeter to terminals Vf and E1 of the check connector. Voltage should fluctuate 8 times every 10 seconds.

And the cat, well you will have to take it off and look at it to see if its melted.

Or you can turn down the boost and see if thats the problem.

"did that slow down thing"- yeah thats the ecu retarding the timing, like I told you before.

Last edited by IHateHacks; 02-24-2007 at 05:41 AM.
IHateHacks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2007, 11:17 PM   #13
west_side_supra
12psi boost

ok well i dont wanna sound stupid but where is the fuel filter on this car, im use to working on old chevy motors getting use to the import thing

exhaust: 3inch pipes no cat/powerhouse manifold/garret gt47 18psi/HKS SS racing wastegate
fidenza cam gears
intake: PHR 4inch intake/K&N filter/3 inch intercooler/ pipeFMIC/greddy type R bov/
Old 02-25-2007, 02:38 AM   #14
IHateHacks
20psi boost

IHateHacks is on a distinguished road

Bolted to the body, above the fuel tank.

Hope you have small hands and a 14mm flare nut wrench.
IHateHacks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2007, 01:10 AM   #15
west_side_supra
12psi boost

ok well i have taken the 2nd cat off going for the 1st one

does it look clogged?

fidenza cam gears
Old 03-01-2007, 12:33 AM   #16
west_side_supra
12psi boost

anyone???????????

fidenza cam gears
Old 03-03-2007, 10:04 AM   #17
jfunez
12psi boost

jfunez is on a distinguished road

cant really tell...
jfunez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2008, 06:13 AM   #18
ddouglas77
Stock

ddouglas77 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by SideWinderGX View Post
knock is the preignition of gasses in a cylinder. it happens if you ahve too high of an octane in your car, or if you mix them.

although, i dont think mixing gas matters as long as its the same octane. maybe it was a bad batch from one station that messed up yoru entire system.

um, if the blow off valve is leaking, thats obvoiusly not a good thing, although im not sure how that would relate to knock or anything messing up.
No, preignition happens if your octane level is too low, not high. The higher the octane, the cooler the burn, which is why it is only supposed to be used for boosted, nitro or high compression engines.
The BOV leaking under vacuum will more than likely leak under boost, which will cause a lean condition.

1987 Toyota Supra Turbo, 1990 Alfa Romeo Spider, 1974 Chevy Camaro.
ddouglas77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 10:49 PM   #19
new288sup
Stock

new288sup is on a distinguished road
Default Here are some rules :D

Quote:
Originally Posted by IHateHacks View Post
I'm telling you, you are running too much boost.

You can rule out 80% of what this "shop" told you.

You can check the resistance of the fuel injectors, 1.8-3.4 ohms for turbo models, but I already have the feeling you need bigger ones, and a bigger fuel pump running that much boost.

You should have replaced the fuel filter before you even started driving this vehicle so if you haven't yet, do it.

Accordian hose? Take it off and check for cracks. Better yet, check ALL vacuum hoses for cracks, i.e. ISC hose, PCV hoses, etc.

Like the fuel filter you should have set base ignition timing before you registered this vehicle.

You can test the O2 sensor voltage feedback. Connect a voltmeter to terminals Vf and E1 of the check connector. Voltage should fluctuate 8 times every 10 seconds.

And the cat, well you will have to take it off and look at it to see if its melted.

Or you can turn down the boost and see if thats the problem.

"did that slow down thing"- yeah thats the ecu retarding the timing, like I told you before.

Alright, Knock sensors Detect ANY knock, Rod, crank, or cylinder (pre ignition/detonation) running to lean (not enough fuel) causes Detonation which is basicly the fuel igniting before it is supposed to Because the piston/cylinder walls are TOO hot. Pre ignition is similar but it is normally caused by carbon/deposits on the intake valves getting hot and falling into the combustion chambers and could also cause (if hot enough) the intake valves to ignight the fuel on the way in.....RICHER IS better on boosted engines. anything more then 12ish pounds on stock fuel system is asking for trouble. In my humble opion replace your fuel pump, and regulator first.
the more pressure/flow you can give your injectors, the less the injectors have to work for the same amount of fuel....
Also Look up "top tier" fuels in your area, and try to stick with them.

If you are still having issues, then its not your fuel. ITs an engine knock.
Could mean 2 things, Wear on your bearings from too much boost and not enough oil pressure, or just not enough oil pressure for the boost you are running (pumps create FLOW NOT PRESSURE) (resistance to flow creates Pressure).....there is a thread im still looking for on here that mentions replacing the pump spring in the factory oil pump with one from a SB chevy, im still looking for the exact details.

Now keep in mind i am build a 600HP 7m, Using MsEfi, and a few other tricks... no, its not done yet, but if the math works out, i can make it 600 and a daily driver
Nick
new288sup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 07:28 AM   #20
jrok
Intake

jrok is on a distinguished road
Default knock sensor wires

check for short to ground in the knock sensor wire

1984 celica supra with 7mgte swap, custom intercooler, 2.5 exhaust no muffler or cat, shimmed wastegate to 12 lbs boost, with r154 turbo 5-speed tranny 16x8 xxr s13's with 245/50R16 toyo proxes 4's
.http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=rgOxP0PxCwo
.http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=uf989mb3EDw
also own:
2000 4runner 3 inch lift, 33inch tires
.http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=J15k1rCh7-A
1988 4runner stock
.http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=2u7e1_pMqfs
.http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=9lu4j5P6M7M
]
jrok is offline   Reply With Quote