Home / Toyota Supra Forums

Go Back   Toyota Supra Forums! Join the Supra forum! > Performance, Modification, and Maintenance Forums - for generation specific discussions > MKIII Supra

Old 02-06-2007, 04:51 PM   #1
ebang
3" Exhaust

ebang is on a distinguished road
Default help please

I am currently changing the plugs on my 87, I took off the first plug and it was covered in oil...anyone know why this would be, could thid be a BHG leaking oil?...
ebang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2007, 05:15 PM   #2
dcrusupra
500whp yet?

dcrusupra is on a distinguished road

Could be the valve cover gaskets leaking oil. Look into that. Sometimes the screws on the valve cover come loose. They are aluminum so dont try to tighten too much. You'd be better off replacing the gaskets from toyota and getting these.
Old 02-06-2007, 08:31 PM   #3
ebang
3" Exhaust

thanks I will look into that.I put new plugs and wires got it all in ok and pet back together, I satrted up the card and let idle for about 15 mins now I noticed that there anti freeze seeping out of the top of the rad not a whole lot though...does this mean I have to replace the rad..could it be that it is rotted?
Old 02-06-2007, 10:22 PM   #4
Xanatos
Stock

Xanatos is on a distinguished road
Cool Eww seepage...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebang
thanks I will look into that.I put new plugs and wires got it all in ok and pet back together, I satrted up the card and let idle for about 15 mins now I noticed that there anti freeze seeping out of the top of the rad not a whole lot though...does this mean I have to replace the rad..could it be that it is rotted?
Hmm, could be initial signs of a BHG, but don't quote me on that. When I first picked up my Sup, I had the exact same problems. The radiator could possibly have micro fissures that are starting to weep which the will eventually flat out leak. I tried just about every trick in the book including fiberglassing to put off the inevitable cracking that did occur. Best bet, start saving up for a radiator. Have you check your oil for coolant and vice versa? Is your coolant overflow bottle emptying itself? The reason for the seepage could possibly be because of excessive pressure from exhaust gasses in your coolant system which is indicative of a BHG.

Previous poster is probably right about the reason for the presence of oil in your spark plug galley. Mine were covered in inches of oil and water. Makes me wonder how the thing even ran. You'll definately want to clean all of that crap out of there. Most likely your valve cover seals are shot or your valve cover screws are loose, or both. You can get valve cover seals pretty cheap at a NAPA or online. I'd suggest going to socket head screws over the existing phillips head ones. Reason being is you can torque them down a heck of a lot better, and they look a damn sight better than the existing ones. Just don't forget to use the neoprene/metal washers that come with the valve cover gaskets. They keep your screws from vibrating loose and also from gouging into the soft aluminum when you torque them down.

Good luck.
Xanatos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007, 01:31 AM   #5
the driver
Stock

the driver is on a distinguished road
Default oil leak

was the oil on top or on the electrode if it was on top the other guy are right that its the tube seal if the plug is oil fouled it probably valve seal or rings I hope for you its just the vc seal
the driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007, 03:32 AM   #6
mrnickleye
1000whp postwhore

mrnickleye is on a distinguished road

Check out this new sticky thread in this section.
Got oil on top of your spark plugs??

Also, if you need a new radiator, check out
http://www.radiatorexpress.com/produ...aia_id=1278491

or other internet sites. I've used a plastic tank one here in the desert for 2.5 years, no problems. (the older 'all metal' one split open at the soldered seam on top).
Old 02-07-2007, 01:48 PM   #7
ebang
3" Exhaust

think I will look around for a rad, how difficult is it to replace?.
Old 02-07-2007, 06:10 PM   #8
Xanatos
Stock

Xanatos is on a distinguished road
Default radiator replacement

Radiator replacement is extremely easy. Really it comes down to what you are eventually planning on doing with the car. Be sure you are fixing the problem, not just addressing the symptoms. I thought for sure I was just having radiator issues causing my cooling problems, but it turned out to be a failing head gasket that allowed the exhaust gasses into my radiator which then inturn raised the pressure thus cracking and spilling my fluids.

There are many camps as to what to get for an aftermarket radiator. Some prefer stock, or full metal stock replacement, while others like the aftermarket jobs. I went with a Koyo for its performance, looks and price. I've heard the Fluidyne is better on flow with having one less row than the Koyo, but to date I've had no issues with my Koyo. Especially after I went with an electric fan setup. If you do go with an aftermarket performance radiator, be aware that you may lose your fan shroud as not all of them will support bolting up your stock shroud. You could always make your own mounts for it, but as far as radiator fittment, they should all just drop right in if they are made for our cars. Check out Ebay or one of the MKIII Supra parts dealers. Summit Racing also has pretty good prices on them as well. I highly recommend Suprasport too as they have been great with customer support for the products they sell. (They only sell MKIII parts)

Good Luck!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebang
think I will look around for a rad, how difficult is it to replace?.
Xanatos is offline   Reply With Quote