Home / Toyota Supra Forums

Go Back   Toyota Supra Forums! Join the Supra forum! > Performance, Modification, and Maintenance Forums - for generation specific discussions > MKIII Supra

Old 07-04-2006, 04:36 AM   #1
theWeezL
12psi boost

theWeezL is on a distinguished road
Default need ideas

I bought my 86.5 NA about 3 months ago. So far I have done the following:
  • tuned up with new plugs, wires, cap, rotor.
  • put on new 225/50-16's
  • Gutted the Cat (no not the feline, the converter)
  • new Magnaflow Performance XL 2.5 in dual 2.5 out (which I hate btw)
  • polished the wheels
  • lowered it 2inches
  • added a new front lip
  • front strut bar installed
  • reupholstered door inserts, shift boot, console cover, and E-brake cover.
  • added a new head unit, 4 new speakers and an amp and sub box
  • put in white faced reverse EL glow gauges
  • short shifter mod
  • TEMS diag mode mod
  • JDM look alike tail light mod
  • added stock rear spoiler
  • cleaned and detailed inside and out including under the hood
  • removed, sanded and repolished the body mouldings
  • swapped out lights with diamond cut lenses and H4 superwhites
  • fabbed mesh grills
  • modded AFM
The car runs great, drives smooth (except when the targa is out, where it developes an obnoxious shimmy around 65 and goes away around 85), stops ok. All the electrics work properly and hood and hatch stay up.

Thats all I can remember right now. I am planning on putting on CD'd/slotted rotors and semi-met's when funds allow. Im also right now having a targa brace fabbed (laser cut front and rear plates with 1" tube bars connecting front to back). What Im wondering is anyone has an ideas for other mods or upgrades that would be relatively cheap, say $200 or less ideas. Obviously that means no engine/trans swaps, and no TIEN coilovers...lol.

1 piece driveshaft? Header pipe? does anyone make a TB spacer for the 7M? Electric fans? all valid ideas, and Im hoping someone will post up their experience with those mods (sources, trouble spots, results) and possible help me come up with ideas I havent thought of yet. Help me brainstorm it folks!

Eagles may soar, but weezl's never get sucked into jet engines!

theWeezL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2006, 04:57 AM   #2
newbsupra
3" Exhaust

newbsupra is on a distinguished road

onyl thing i have for an idea is some sweet tint, and a front window sticker.. all i could think of right now. just curious, any idea what kind of hp gain you got with gutting the cat? and how much did your custom intake help?

btw, ill buy your magnaflow
newbsupra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2006, 06:18 AM   #3
Isphius
500whp yet?

Isphius is on a distinguished road

I have one of those magna flows, It is entirely too loud. It makes this annoying fwaping sound between 2 and 3k rpms. Magnified a lot when the window is down, and even more when next to another car/solid object to reflect it. As for mods...hmm. I would def say a header....make the most of the exhaust. Get the head shaved a little. More compression. But then you need better gas and that sucks. Get adjustable cam gears and follow some of the settings ive seen on forums...cant recall exactly where right now. The header and exhaust and cam gear timing should def open it up at high rpms thou.
Old 07-04-2006, 08:56 AM   #4
theWeezL
12psi boost

yes, you hit the nail on the head with that magnaflow, I dont mind the loud as I also put in a bullet style resonator after the cat. But that "fwapping" sound you describe is just a bit irritating to an old guy like me. So yeah if someone wants to buy it off me its got less than 500 miles on it.

Im not a big sticker fan, in fact Im a big fan of de-badgeing entirely. I have done my own tinting in the past and Im pretty good at it when I have all my resources available, but right now Im going through a divorce so Im only in a temporary living situation. There is a shop up in Portland advertising a summer special for a 2 door vehicle for 99 bucks. I have to go to Portland to look at some leather samples anyways, thinking about getting it done.

So, if I was gonna change out that muffler for a decent sounding one, that isnt real expensive, what would ya suggest?

Old 07-04-2006, 09:09 AM   #5
theWeezL
12psi boost

Quote:
Originally Posted by newbsupra
just curious, any idea what kind of hp gain you got with gutting the cat? and how much did your custom intake help?

btw, ill buy your magnaflow
I really have no way to judge HP gain other than seat of the pants. When I got the cat out and looked into it I noticed right off the cat was toast. It was severely melted on the first and second biscuit, and I would say was 30-40% restricted. It seemed to me that gutting it opened up the powerband a little, both on the low end and high end. I definately got better off the line throttle response.

The custom intake was a little more subtle because it was done in stages. I first put on the cone filter, and a couple days later removed and replaced the air chamber, and yet a couple more days later I added a cold air funnel system. Over all I would say it was good for maybe 3-5 HP gain, and alot better sound...not that I can hear it over this loud ass muffler. lol

And yes you can buy the muffler off me. I had two chrome tips put on it, and like I said it has less than 500 miles on it. its this one here: http://www.magnaflow.com/02product/s...ne=main&id=563
I'll take 60 bucks plus shipping if your serious.

Old 07-04-2006, 03:38 PM   #6
Isphius
500whp yet?

Isphius is on a distinguished road

Flowmaster 40 series sound rather nice, I just stuck one on the end(it was my dads) and drove around with it. Quieter than the magnaflow too. Its the glasspack style mufflers that make that noise, So just get any one with chambers instead of glasspack style. The muffler when i got the car was so awful.... It was just a can with 2 stainless steel tips, And it was so loud and made this terrible droning noise. So I put the magnaflow on that i had laying around for my monte carlo...and viola no more droning, but insted fwapy noise. But i will admit it is way better than that hummmmmmmm noise. Actually, inbetween taking the old off and the magna flow, I did just the flowmaster, sounded nice, and just an open exhaust was actually a little less loud than the original ricer muffler.
Old 07-05-2006, 06:02 AM   #7
newbsupra
3" Exhaust

well if its as annoying as you say, im not to sure. would u be able to snap a pic or two of it? and i take it its louder than stock? ill see how my next pay check is and tell you if i will buy it or not, if not.. maybe you'll still have it in 2 weeks?

im thinking of getting my cat cut out and doing the custom intake to get some hp increase.. along with a muffler. im almost thinking i want a quiet muffler.
Old 07-05-2006, 07:57 AM   #8
theWeezL
12psi boost

heh, if you want quiet this muffler is not for you...personally I love the deep low rumble of it. its just in a certain rpm range at a particular throttle opening its just TOO loud. Like I said, Im too old (42) for that kind of noise. Its not like Im some tuner kid trying to attract attention. I bought it for the free flow nature of it...not realizing just how loud that free flow would be. lol

yeah I'll try to snap some pics of it this week, but I got alot on my plate right now. Gotta get my targa bar done before Saturday, then cruising to Portland for a meet, and I just grabbed a parts car off Ebay for 25 bucks (yeah, you read that right) that I will need to get up here to Corvallis, and I got a guy coming over to possibly take my 88 turbo shell off me. Might be a week before I can ge back to ya on that.

So of the mods I mentioned in the OP, has anyone had any experience with those? Im particularly interested in what a 1 piece driveshaft would do for me.

Old 07-05-2006, 08:41 PM   #9
newbsupra
3" Exhaust

well if it has a low rumble to it, im in because i really hate that really high pitch noise from those "fart cans" like.. cherry bombs and such, any idea if i could find a sound clip of it? if you want to hold it, ill buy it in two weeks.
Old 07-05-2006, 11:07 PM   #10
theWeezL
12psi boost

I'll try to get a sound clip made up of it, I have a digital video cam I can use.