Home / Toyota Supra Forums

Go Back   Toyota Supra Forums! Join the Supra forum! > Performance, Modification, and Maintenance Forums - for generation specific discussions > MKIII Supra

Old 07-04-2006, 02:28 PM   #11
scruffboy
walbro fp

scruffboy is on a distinguished road
Default Thanks

Thanks for all the input fellas. It sounds like a real pain in the a**. I'll get to work on it this weekend and see how it goes. There is still a very tiny bit of the broken bolt sticking out. I tried to hacksaw a line across to see if I could get it out with a flat head screwdriver. Didn't work. I may now try to cut a line the other way and use a phillips head. I bought one of those ratcheting screw drivers with a small handle, so maybe I can get more bite. Wish me luck!

Scruffboy
scruffboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2006, 05:36 PM   #12
IHateHacks
20psi boost

IHateHacks is on a distinguished road

Ok I have 1 more last ditch effort thing you can try. This only applies if you didnt take the housing off yet. Take the thermo housing off completely (I hope you dont break the other one) now you will have about 3/8"+ to grab on to with a pair of decent visegrips or locking plyers. The shaft of the thermo bolts are only 6mm in diameter, not much torque applied to them maybe 8ft lbs at the most. Lock on to the broken bolt as hard as you possibly can the FIRST time. Get someone very big and strong if needed. It should come right out. Ive done this on 4 broken exhaust manifold bolts on an 84 VW rabbit and those things were bigger, and exposed to 500 degree temperatures its whole life.

But if all else fails you can order a new water outlet housing (the aluminum thing with all those sensors that the bolt broke off into) from a dealer (if you cant find a single supra at the junkyard like me) but from a dealer it wont be cheap but hey, when shit like this happens I pay whatever they want for a part that will let me drive my car again.

As far as that screwdriver forget it, you need as much leverage/torque you can get. If you are going to try that route first (the ghetto flathead/phillps rig) Get a removable flathead or phillps head bit. Now get a 1/4" size, quarter inch drive socket and rachet and try that instead. (I hope you can understand that)

Hope it works out for ya.

Last edited by IHateHacks; 07-05-2006 at 05:46 PM.
IHateHacks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2006, 07:41 PM   #13
scruffboy
walbro fp

Default Gotch ya

I know what you are trying to say, but there is not that much sticking out even after I take off thermo housing. Not enough to get vice grips on. I've done that before and it worked, but not on this one. I think I really screwed up on this baby. I like your idea on the ratcheting screw driver. I'll have to give it a try.

Scruff
Old 07-05-2006, 07:58 PM   #14
IHateHacks
20psi boost

Well I guess all I have left is encouragement-

Remember the key to any automotive struggle is to try something else, gain an edge with what you are using whether it be better quality tools or anything you can think of, I did knock your idea about the flathead but thats exactly what I mean, whatever works and just think it through and for the love of your supra dont rush. It will get you nowhere fast.
Old 07-05-2006, 10:01 PM   #15
dcrusupra
500whp yet?

dcrusupra is on a distinguished road

I did the same thing. But you know what? I cant help. It's still in there. I tried the flat head screw driver thing and it didnt work. It's upsetting. Lol. It's still in there. It's been like that for 4 months already. I'll work on taking it out when I get a new motor.
Old 07-08-2006, 12:05 AM   #16
scruffboy
walbro fp

Default Same boat pal

I'm leaving mine in as is. I feel I'll probably do more damage trying to get it out. I put a bead of silicone around the housing and tightened the remaining bolt and I don't have a leak. I'm trying to get this engine in decent shape, replacing what I can, like water pump, alternator, thermostat, O2 sensor, new belts and hoses and what happens? The friggin bolts start to break on me. Oh well, such is life with a Supra.

Scruff
Old 07-09-2006, 01:52 PM   #17
IHateHacks
20psi boost

"The friggin bolts start to break on me. Oh well, such is life with a Supra"

Nope, Such is life with ______" Fill in the blank with any 15+ year old car. Every year, you can add more cars to the blank.
Old 10-08-2010, 01:03 AM   #18
rjSupra
3" Exhaust

rjSupra is on a distinguished road
Default I did the same thing to lower thermostat bolt

I just did the same thing while my car was stranded on a city road for 2 days. I did the water pump, a few belts and the T Stat and snapped the lower bolt off into the water outlet housing that holds the T Stat. Damn weak ass-ed 20 y.o. Japanese steel. (wtf). I also snapped the bolt lock in the tension adjustment the alt belt with very little force on it on the same repair. Damn weak ass-ed 20 y.o. Japanese steel.
I am planning to remove the whole water outlet housing and then get it on a workbench and drill it out.
I will, just in case, remove the T Stat once again, to see if there is any amount of bolt over the surface I can latch onto with vise grips.
I also remember doing something like this on another car or moto, snapping an older cheap ass steel bolt (no I am not He-man).
I took a thin drill bit with a good drill and drilled in a hole, then a larger hole, then a larger one... and on the third bit the bolt more or less started falling apart and just spun out backwards fine. I used a replacement identical bolt and all was well. Hoping for same results.
I also have this stupid coolant mystery leak to deal with so getting off that housing will give me more clearance to try to find where my car is dumping 1 gallon of coolant in 15 minutes after it revs over 2000 rpm on the highway in top gear or goes up a super steep hill... It ain't the water pump, it ain't the T Stat, not the radiator or upper or lower pipe... Hoping and hoping it's the 90 angle short hose under the water outlet... got that Gates part and two screw clamps for $6.39 today.