Home / Toyota Supra Forums

Go Back   Toyota Supra Forums! Join the Supra forum! > Performance, Modification, and Maintenance Forums - for generation specific discussions > MKIII Supra

Old 05-02-2006, 02:31 PM   #1
barton
Stock

barton is on a distinguished road
Default HELP!: 7MGTE engine block info needed

------------------------------------------------------------------------
Currently rebuilding a 7MGTE 3.0 Turbo engine. Got it all stripped for inspection and found that almost every component was knackered. So, bought another complete donor car and started again. All these parts are OK, but while the engine I started with was from a 1992 car (and so has oil spray jets mounted in the oil gallery inside the block, to cool/lubricate the little end bearings and piston undercrowns) the one I'm rebuilding now is from a 1989 car, and doesn't have the oil spray jets. I salvaged the jets before scrapping the knackered '92 block, but my machine shop aren't exactly sure where to drill and mount them in the '89 block. Can anybody supply me with an image/schematic or scan from a workshop manual (showing the jets in situ or removed from a later type block) in order to help clarify this point. It'd be much appreciated.

barton
View Public Profile
Send a private message to barton
Send email to barton
Find More Posts by barton
Add barton to Your Buddy List
barton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2006, 06:27 AM   #2
TONY!
12psi boost

TONY! is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by barton
... but while the engine I started with was from a 1992 car (and so has oil spray jets mounted in the oil gallery inside the block, to cool/lubricate the little end bearings and piston undercrowns) the one I'm rebuilding now is from a 1989 car...
From that sentence, you are implying that '89 cars don't have oil squirters, and I am pretty sure they do-if from turbo cars that came to the USA.
N/A blocks don't have oil squirters, are you sure it is a turbo block?
I have had two turbo blocks. One from an '88 that had the 6M crank and one from the newer '89 type that had the 7M crank, and they both had squirters.

Quote:
...Can anybody supply me with an image/schematic or scan from a workshop manual ...
I don't have a workshop manual but I do have an extra block as well as pictures from the block that I already sold.

Got the pics up. Now these pics are off of two different blocks. Pics with the squirtes on and off too.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PICT0889.JPG
Views:	1308
Size:	98.7 KB
ID:	230   Click image for larger version

Name:	PICT0200.JPG
Views:	1360
Size:	141.4 KB
ID:	231   Click image for larger version

Name:	PICT0201.JPG
Views:	1916
Size:	152.6 KB
ID:	232   Click image for larger version

Name:	PICT0216.JPG
Views:	1742
Size:	123.6 KB
ID:	233  

_____|_____
/. . . \ . . . \ . .\
( ]/ . . . . \ . . . \ . .\[ )
____________________[||]______________[||]____________________
TONY! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2006, 03:19 PM   #3
barton
Stock

barton is on a distinguished road
Default Thanks for that Tony...

...really appreciate the pics, have now printed them off and posted them to my machine shop. It's a good point you made too about the block probably being from an N/A model. According to the V5 logbook (do you still call them 'pinks' over there?) it was originally a Turbo car and though while I bought it as an abonded mid-head gasket change casualty (with turbo and all ancillaries dumped in the boot), the sump is plumbed for an oil return and the intercooler was in situ, and obviously had been for a very long time. Assuming I am dealing with an N/A block, are there any other inadequacies (apart from the missing oil squirters) which will make it unsuited to turbo charging? I'm after about 290 bhp with after market management, but the motor's going in a much lighter MkII Celica Supra MA61.

thanks again for your help

Barton
barton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2006, 12:41 AM   #4
TONY!
12psi boost

No problem.

You know, I just noticed now that you are in the UK.
As you may know, not all the Supras are the same internationally.
It could be possible that for certain years in the UK, the blocks did not come with oil squirters.
I think for certain years, the JDM blocks skipped the squirters...

Some people turbo N/A blocks and don't worry about the squirters (or lack of them).
One guy I met dyno'ed at over 700 HP and that was on an N/A block that was turbo'ed and he did not have oil squirters.
Some will say that they can be helpful, but most would say that they are not absolutely needed...(speaking of the veterans who have kicked around the idea, of course).

You can decide on your own how necessary they are.

If you need more pictures, I still have the red block with me.

Quote:
...According to the V5 logbook (do you still call them 'pinks' over there?) ...
Pinks does not ring a bell to me....and I noticed that you do call many things differently than what I woudl call them. heheh
Quote:
...Assuming I am dealing with an N/A block, are there any other inadequacies (apart from the missing oil squirters) which will make it unsuited to turbo charging? ...
Well, if you have the oil feed line already there, I would assume that it is a turbo block. Now if it is indeed an N/A block, then you will have higher compression pistons, (but the same rods and crank).
Some do make use out of the higher compression pistons from an N/A in turbo set-ups.
Higher compression means quicker spooling as well as more power, but will detonate more under certain situations.
Take some pictures of you pistons, and I will tell you what you have.

_____|_____
/. . . \ . . . \ . .\
( ]/ . . . . \ . . . \ . .\[ )
____________________[||]______________[||]____________________

Last edited by TONY!; 05-04-2006 at 12:51 AM.
Old 04-14-2010, 04:04 PM   #5
BDRT103
Stock

BDRT103 is on a distinguished road

is the 7mge and the 7mgte the same internally other than the oil squirters? and could i run the stock turbo set up on my stock 7mge?
BDRT103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 05:20 PM   #6
TONY!
12psi boost

Quote:
Originally Posted by BDRT103 View Post
is the 7mge and the 7mgte the same internally other than the oil squirters? and could i run the stock turbo set up on my stock 7mge?
Been while since I have thought about 7M's and Supras, but I do remember that the 7MGE block doesn't have the oil return from the turbo that the 7MGTE has.
Some drill the 7MGE block and make that modification.
I personally don't know how easy or hard that would be as I have never done it myself.
Old 04-14-2010, 09:28 PM   #7
Green7mgte
Supra Forum Moderator

Green7mgte is on a distinguished road

there are tons of posts about doing a turbo swap on a non turbo engine. just do a little search and your hits will answer your questions.
The short answer is. Yes you can. but I wouldn't. =) search and find out why.

92 Ma71 7mGTE Auto. SafcII
Supra FAQ
Supra MKIII FAQ
Classified Section guidelines :

Green7mgte is offline   Reply With Quote