Home / Toyota Supra Forums

Go Back   Toyota Supra Forums! Join the Supra forum! > Performance, Modification, and Maintenance Forums - for generation specific discussions > MKIII Supra

Old 12-12-2005, 11:20 PM   #1
lifesnotfair
3" Exhaust

lifesnotfair is on a distinguished road
Default Everybody goes Turbo here - Can N/A Supras be fast?

Yes, we all know MKIII's are insanely heavy and the best and fastest way to get it to run fast is to go turbo.

But what if someone is not aiming to run 11-12-13 in the 1/4 mile... What if someone would settle for a 14.5 secs 1/4 mile Supra, and his car is N/A? (kinda my case).

I've owned Turbo cars and know what it feels like, and it was originally my plan.. but today I was saying to myself: 200HP stock... I've read that the stock exhaust is quite thin and putting a big one would give you some more horsies. Then intake, header, and maybe something to the ignition? (Wider cables, coil blaster, MSD.. How fast (or slow) will the Supra be running?

Yeah, everyone says "you'll want more speed on the longrun".. yeah, and when I get to that point, I'll probably spend more money and get a 1JZ and mod it. But I'm talking about some more speed so my daily driver car isn't that slow. I don't care if I geat beaten by other cars, my excuse will be: my car weights a LOT, and it's not even turbo, so back off. =) Hehehe, just kidding. I was just asking coz maybe, for my actual needs, this could be economically my best option (I don't feel that huge need for speed right now.. Sure, later I'll get it back, but I could spend at least a year or two without a turbo car)..

My car is automatic, which pops up another question: Is there a better tranny than the stock N/A tranny? I know it's different from the Turbo model. What about the differential? I don't think mine has an LSD... is there a way to find this out?? It probably doesn't have one. Would a proper one give one more power in the first gears? (although it's not probably a good option as one would then go at 60mph and 4k rpm =p).

Just asking...
lifesnotfair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2005, 11:20 PM   #2
lifesnotfair
3" Exhaust

Default Oh!

And before anyone mentions it: Yes, I did some research.. couldn't find much, most people just go turbo. But I did some and found out stuff, like the thing about the exhaust, possibly "mild cams" (as the text described it), but not much at all.
Old 12-12-2005, 11:30 PM   #3
j3pz
500whp yet?

j3pz is on a distinguished road

bpm i/h/e possibly valves and lexus afmsounds good to me
Old 12-12-2005, 11:31 PM   #4
hangsupra
12psi boost

hangsupra is on a distinguished road

well think about my mk2 supra.... n/a before i drop turbo on... i hit 15.1 on my mk2 stock... nothing... no exhaust... n ect... nothing... basic stock.... n i hit 15.1 on 1/4mile.... n happy with it.... n now... i happy with my setup on my mk2 supra... hehe... cause got turbo now... haha...
hangsupra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2005, 11:43 AM   #5
Jebus
Stock

Jebus is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by hangsupra
well think about my mk2 supra.... n/a before i drop turbo on... i hit 15.1 on my mk2 stock... nothing... no exhaust... n ect... nothing... basic stock.... n i hit 15.1 on 1/4mile.... n happy with it.... n now... i happy with my setup on my mk2 supra... hehe... cause got turbo now... haha...
Can someone de-code this for me.

About the NA 7MGE, they do go well. As you said, 200Hp is'nt bad, the car is heavy, but not that heavy, its around 1580 which is OK. I have a manual so cant say much about the auto but i'd imagine you'd get more out of it with a manual. I have a K&N filter, 2 and half inch exhaust form cat back (really only need 2 and a quarter), my engine has been fully re-built, i use Iridium plugs and top gun leads. My engine would be putting out a bit more than stock. The stock cams are pretty good, they seem to make good use of the engines power, they are different from the turbo cams. Dont be put off the NA by the turbo owners, you cant blame them for loving there turbos, the power feels great, turbo cars are addictive. . If your engine is healthy, you will probably be happy with it. They go well and are definately not slow, maintain it and they stay strong.
Old 12-13-2005, 01:29 PM   #6
Isphius
500whp yet?

Isphius is on a distinguished road

I own an 86/88 NA, the previous owner bought a wrecked car...swapped a lot of parts...so im not sure what on the car is 88 and 86, but the tittle is 86 and the engine/trans is an 88 im sure of that, anyway sure the stock motor is great..it has a really nice powerband, and it runs good all the time. The thing that impressed me the most about it is the internals, and how well made these motors are. most of the parts in these motors would be a huge upgrade on some other motors, like american v8s for instance. But the thing that sukcs about that is, the motor is already at a pretty high hp/liter, which makes it kinda hard to modify any further. thats why the turbos are so poular. But sure, do a header, exhasut, intake, and try to work out a bigger mass air flow sensor off a lexus car like j3pz said. Should be able to get it up to about 230-240hp. the popular/good way to make a lot of power out of an NA motor is insane compression and race gas, and big cams. but that defeats your economical idea. goodluck with the car!
Isphius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2005, 02:13 PM   #7
kwnate
SP58GT

kwnate is on a distinguished road

Lexus afm won't do any good... IIRC the housing is the same size with different electronics. People buy it and put larger injectors on turbo models to trick the computer into thinking it has less air going through, so the computer won't cut off fuel at 11psi. I think I explained that correctly but its 6am...

kwnate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2005, 03:56 AM   #8
lifesnotfair
3" Exhaust

Default Hey!

I bought some rims today, they look insanely nice! Although car is too high, need to lower it a bit (stock suspension).

Anyone knows how thin is stock exhaust?
Old 12-14-2005, 04:07 AM   #9
j3pz
500whp yet?

j3pz is on a distinguished road

believe it to be 2and a half

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jebus
Can someone de-code this for me.

About the NA 7MGE, they do go well. As you said, 200Hp is'nt bad, the car is heavy, but not that heavy, its around 1580 which is OK. I have a manual so cant say much about the auto but i'd imagine you'd get more out of it with a manual. I have a K&N filter, 2 and half inch exhaust form cat back (really only need 2 and a quarter), my engine has been fully re-built, i use Iridium plugs and top gun leads. My engine would be putting out a bit more than stock. The stock cams are pretty good, they seem to make good use of the engines power, they are different from the turbo cams. Dont be put off the NA by the turbo owners, you cant blame them for loving there turbos, the power feels great, turbo cars are addictive. . If your engine is healthy, you will probably be happy with it. They go well and are definately not slow, maintain it and they stay strong.
do you mean 1580lb? its more like 3580lb. must be typo
Old 12-14-2005, 04:11 AM   #10
kwnate
SP58GT

kwnate is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifesnotfair
I bought some rims today, they look insanely nice! Although car is too high, need to lower it a bit (stock suspension).

Anyone knows how thin is stock exhaust?
POST UP SOME PICS!!

kwnate is offline   Reply With Quote