Home / Toyota Supra Forums

Go Back   Toyota Supra Forums! Join the Supra forum! > Performance, Modification, and Maintenance Forums - for generation specific discussions > MKIII Supra

Old 02-14-2006, 03:54 AM   #1
TrDSpEeD717
Stock

TrDSpEeD717 is on a distinguished road
Smile What is a GOOD color

Hey im looking for a good color to paint my supra im looking at grey dark blue or repaint it a better red then i have now.My seats are grey.let me kno what you think.

Thanks
TrDSpEeD717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2006, 03:10 PM   #2
Bullz_EyE
3" Exhaust

Bullz_EyE is on a distinguished road

One YOU like.
Old 02-14-2006, 03:13 PM   #3
WildBill
Stock

WildBill is on a distinguished road

Huh? That is like asking what type of music you should listen to.

It is subjective. I.E., paint it the color YOU like, not what somebody else tells you will look good. BTW, paint it Kawasaki green, everybody will envy you!
Old 02-14-2006, 07:30 PM   #4
j3pz
500whp yet?

j3pz is on a distinguished road

id just go with a cheap glossy color. red white black blue are always good on cars.
Old 02-14-2006, 10:29 PM   #5
mrnickleye
1000whp postwhore

mrnickleye is on a distinguished road
Cool Color & Music Go Together

If you are NOT gonna paint the door jams, ans inside the hatch, and possibly under the hood.....I'd stay very close to the color you have.

Nothing looks crappier than a car that's got mixed colors.

As for music.....AC/DC...Led Zeppelin......Stevie Ray....Clapton
Old 02-14-2006, 10:34 PM   #6
TONY!
12psi boost

TONY! is on a distinguished road

Eh, if you are asking me what my favorite colors are, I can answer that.
Asking what is a good color, is too vague to answer...good for what is what I think when I read it.

Anyways, here are my thoughts on colors for the a car like the Supra (I also posted this before in a 'parellel universe'. heheh

I love vibrant royal blue. It is one of the colors I painted my bike with in my three color paint job. Check this blue out:

I also like the other two colors in that I chose for that job: GM's Torch Red and pure unmixed white.

My first choice for a sports car would be that vibrant royal blue because I already had the Torch Red.
If not that vibrant blue, I would go with GM's Torch Red again. If put on a white base/primer/sealer it would be as vibrant and bright as it should be.
Red is definitely one of my favorite colors on a car. It is not as dark as a real blue, but not as light as yellow. I am so glad my car was red.

Another nice color is white.
This is a very classy color in my opinion, but is also sporty as well.
Out of the 7 helmets I have had, all of them are either white or have white as a background. Two out of two bikes I have ever owned also had white for the main color. Unmixed white is my favorite of all whites and the easiest to fix.

I also like HOK's Orion Silver. Silver is to me is supposed to look as much like silver (the metal) as possible. The more metallic it looks, the better.

Yellow is cool if done on a car with exterior modifications. On a car that is not all that modded with tasteful exterior mods, it does not have the same effect. On a car that looks badass, it makes the car look sporty. If on a car that is not so great or sporty, it makes the car look weak. You can see this when yellow is not on sports cars sometimes such as little econo cars. Yellow has two meaning for me: sporty & weak. Matching it to the right car is vital. Canary yellow is the only yellow that I would ever consider! Mello's car--the one in his avatar--is that color. On his car, it looks great. On a wingless stock looking Supra, I don't think I would like it at all.

For the easiest color to fix, I would go with straight black (unmixed black).
That color will show off the shine if you have a nice clearcoat finish as well.
The bodywork has to be done right as poor bodywork will show more with black than with very light colors--but then perfect body work should always be performed anyways!
As far as painting, that is the easiest color to blend/fix/spray.
Black is something I can see anytime I close my eyes, so in that sense, it is not so special. Black can hide body lines too. It has an attitude but somehow does not tantalize me too much. For warmer and sunny climates, it would make your car lots of fun to get into also (being sarcastic of course since black would absorb heat).

Pearls are not even worth considering. For their effect, it is not worth having to fix them or even paint them.

Real candy colors are for more advanced painters. Fixing them is for even more advanced painters. They would look awesome but you will most likely kick your self in the ass if you even need to fix something painted with a candy.

Some of the above is opinions, but some are facts.

_____|_____
/. . . \ . . . \ . .\
( ]/ . . . . \ . . . \ . .\[ )
____________________[||]______________[||]____________________
TONY! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2006, 10:47 PM   #7
dcrusupra
500whp yet?

dcrusupra is on a distinguished road

I'm going the all black route. Black everything. Darkest tint i can get, black rims, black taillights, black turn signals etc. And on the interior i have black with a few red accessories. Like stitching, inserts, shift boot, etc... Almost done with the interior. I need a black carpet, new door panels, and front seats. But I agree with tony. If the exterior is black, it WILL show a lot of body work errors. Which i have to worry about. I have a few dings and dents that i need to perfect before i paint it. I like the black look. But thats just me. And the music you should listen to, to add to the list that nickleye started, the beatles, pink floyd, the who, yes, etc... But thats also just me, i like late 90's punk (old green day, blink 182), classic rock, and rock. I'm still 18 so i can like punk. lol.
Old 02-15-2006, 06:14 AM   #8
Troyota
3" Exhaust

Troyota is on a distinguished road

^Old Green Day? Have they changed even a little in the past 15 years? My car is Factory Dark Blue Mica Metalic it's dark blue w/ green pearl. I believe Toyota's Paint code was 8E3 for this color. BEAUTIFUL!!! However like it was stated, unless you want to go in and do the doorjams, hatch and underhood, or pay the extra money to have it done right. I'd stick w/ the original color or very close to it.
Troyota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2006, 06:53 AM   #9
dcrusupra
500whp yet?

dcrusupra is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troyota
^Old Green Day? Have they changed even a little in the past 15 years?
Lol, then u must not have heard the new CD. They are gay as hell now. All emo and whatnot.
Old 02-15-2006, 06:57 AM   #10
Bullz_EyE
3" Exhaust

Bullz_EyE is on a distinguished road

Black is one of my favorite colors, but I would only use it if I had a garage, my car was not a daily driver, and the paint shop could guarantee 110% immaculate body work before shooting it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcrusupra
if the exterior is black, it WILL show a lot of body work errors. Which i have to worry about. I have a few dings and dents that i need to perfect before i paint it.
Also it is also the hardest color to keep clean and shows scratches very easily.