Home / Toyota Supra Forums

Go Back   Toyota Supra Forums! Join the Supra forum! > Performance, Modification, and Maintenance Forums - for generation specific discussions > MKIII Supra

Old 02-06-2006, 02:57 AM   #1
XtreeX
3" Exhaust

XtreeX is on a distinguished road
Default Exhaust, Headers, Intake

Well, my car has a pretty nasty groggle to it when I hit the acceleration. I think I'm just going to replace the whole entire exhaust. I'm pretty sure there's a hole somewhere and want to do it anyways, this just justifies it (the noise that is). I really like the muffler that's on there now, I'll post pictures later but it has the dual tip. I dont want a big tip on it =\ I went to stillen and 935 and some other sites and no one really specifies what all comes in the price. Should be everything I need right? Everything from catback to muffler?

Intake I'm lost on. All I can find are the filters. I drove a 97' 5 Speed Nissan Maxima which I installed intake on and that's as far as modding has really gone for me, but they sold actuall pipes and filter. On the websites i only see the filters. So I'm a nub and a little lost there.

I was just going to go with the OBX headers that I found online for under $200. Those are the only things I really found information on in the forums. So those are probally teh route I'm going to go.

Any other mods I should do? Spark plugs? I have a lot of little things i have to take care of, like the driver side window UP button broke off, and lights, and foglights dont work (either out or fuse or something). And while im on the misc. shit: My hatch key hole wont work and the guy who owned it before me tried fixing the cable and the cable is all sprawled out in the back so i have to figure that out also, the only way to open it is to crawl back there and release the latch. Boo -_-

TIA! Nub here <------ Supra owner for 6 hours lol
XtreeX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2006, 03:38 AM   #2
kewlcoconut
3" Exhaust

kewlcoconut is on a distinguished road

First thing is first, before you spend all this money upgrading and adding an exhaust system and all that, do preventive maintenance. It is critical that you take care of everything in the car before you start adding stuff. I think A LOT of us supra owners know that (at least I do).

Replace hoses, coolant and vacuum. Check for leaks everywhere. Get a good tune up, check out the brakes, calipers etc. In all honesty, you need to look at this car from top to bottom before you start adding things. I got all into adding stuff and then BOOM a coolant hose would blow, or my heater control valve blew.

Preventive maintenance is key. THEN you can start adding your mods.
First of all, is your car NA? or TURBO?
Start with the basics, intake, exhaust, headers, like you said.
Most supra owners have the K&N FIPK intake on their cars. It is the most common one.
As for mufflers and systems, it is really your choice on what you want to do, and depending on where you live. If you live in Cali, you will have to be concerned about your emissions, and have to keep the Catlytic Converter. Otherwise you can run a straight pipe down to the muffler and it would free up a lot of power.
And for Headers, OBX seems to be the choice. I think this topic has been done a lot on this forum haha. And I see you already looked up the info on these.
kewlcoconut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2006, 04:16 AM   #3
XtreeX
3" Exhaust

Yea. I have already taken into consideration the maintenance to make the car run everyday. I'm probally going to take out a $3k loan. Bought $800 on security and audio, right around a grand for the headers, intake, exhaust, then the rest for whatever needs to be done (the mandatory stuff). I'm taking it to my mechanic tommorow and have him look at it, and then have this import shop here in town look at it also. Tires are a must, cheap stuff for now til i get new rims. Thats the plan atleast. Assuming all is ok.
Old 02-06-2006, 04:19 AM   #4
XtreeX
3" Exhaust

Sorry, N/A
Old 02-06-2006, 07:25 PM   #5
XtreeX
3" Exhaust

Any reccommend a full cat back exhaust system that isnt too loud or deep? I want a little growl from it, but don't want to grab the attention of PoPo or other racers; going more for asclose to stock as possible but just better performance... if that gives you a general idea of what im looking for? hard to explain... -_-
Old 02-06-2006, 11:07 PM   #6
j3pz
500whp yet?

j3pz is on a distinguished road

the one thing i didnt see on here that you should know is the hg. supras are notorious for blown head gaskets. get it checked out, and if its not blown yet, retorque the head to prevent it from going. once this and and all the vacuum hoses are done, you might want to look into a water pump, thermostat, and oil pump. remember these are old cars so unless these parts are new, id replace them.
Old 02-07-2006, 05:34 AM   #7
XtreeX
3" Exhaust

Took it into the shop and he said the head gasket was fine. Going to need to replace the valve cover soon, he said it's fine for now though. He replaced 3 belts which were dried out. Flushed everything and refilled it. Aside thermostat, oil pump and water pump, anything else I should look into replacing?