Home / Toyota Supra Forums

Go Back   Toyota Supra Forums! Join the Supra forum! > Performance, Modification, and Maintenance Forums - for generation specific discussions > MKIII Supra

Old 01-25-2006, 11:44 PM   #1
XKeyLocX
Stock

XKeyLocX is on a distinguished road
Default Is Automatic Turbo worth it ?

I have a 1988 Supra Turbo ... It is an Automatic but its mint condition ... im kinda sad its an automatic but can sumone prove me wrong lol ... is automatic still worth it?
XKeyLocX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2006, 11:54 PM   #2
TONY!
12psi boost

TONY! is on a distinguished road

So you are going to judge the car purely based on it being an automatic?
(What sense does that make?)

That would almost be like if I were to say, "Is a navy blue car that is in great condition worth it?" when it may not be my favorite choice.

I do prefer manuals over automatics, but I would not consider a car bad or not worth it, if it were an automatic.

Now targa roofs....to me a Supra without a targa roof is not worth it. heheh
(That is how much of a targa fan I am, but is off topic for this thread, but just wanted to make a point.)

You can do a 5 speed conversion if you are very determined to change over to a 'stick'...heh I am even selling most of the parts required. It is not that hard of a job to do, but you must determine that for yourself if that is the route you want to go.

Usually when people say, "Is it worth it?" is over something more substantial, like a rusted body that needs some considerable money to fix.

_____|_____
/. . . \ . . . \ . .\
( ]/ . . . . \ . . . \ . .\[ )
____________________[||]______________[||]____________________
TONY! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2006, 11:57 PM   #3
XKeyLocX
Stock

ok for one i didnt ask for ur book i asked sumone to tell me if the supra is worth it prefromace wise ... the automatic ... u jus didnt read wat i said good enough ..
Old 01-26-2006, 12:05 AM   #4
TONY!
12psi boost

TONY! is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by XKeyLocX
ok for one i didnt ask for ur book i asked sumone to tell me if the supra is worth it prefromace wise ... the automatic ... u jus didnt read wat i said good enough ..
No need for sarcasm or hurt feelings.
You should feel grateful that you received a good and honest post considering how you wrote it.
If you wanted a clearer or more specific answer, you should have typed your question clearer. Don't blame me for your unclear post. You did not specify what you were asking (about performance issues), and then got upset that it could be taken the wrong way.

The original post you made:
Quote:
Originally Posted by XKeyLocX
I have a 1988 Supra Turbo ... It is an Automatic but its mint condition ... im kinda sad its an automatic but can sumone prove me wrong lol ... is automatic still worth it?
TONY! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2006, 12:20 AM   #5
XKeyLocX
Stock

whatever ... all im trying to say is ... i am a big fan of manual shifting ... but i love the supra i just got but its an automatic ... it has the targa top n everything all power and i have just ordered a HKS blow off valve kit .. but i just want sumone with a automatic to lighten up my thoughts about it
Old 01-26-2006, 01:21 AM   #6
Drag0na5h
3" Exhaust

Drag0na5h is on a distinguished road

I drive an Auto N/A and yeah it sucks that I can't push the engine to it's fullest, but putting the pedal to the metal helps a bit.
Drag0na5h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2006, 07:04 AM   #7
Suprapowaz!
Intake

Suprapowaz! is on a distinguished road

a nice built auto generally will be faster than a manual. umm... build a little boost off the line, and maintains boost between shifts too. but if you're sad about it being auto then why not try to swap it to a manual??
Suprapowaz! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2006, 07:25 AM   #8
lethalwithasupra
3" Exhaust

lethalwithasupra is on a distinguished road
Default ok just my humble opinon ... understand i'm just sorta getting into this type of crap

my supra is auto. proud of it. pull the T down from D to 2 or 1 and its not actually that much different from a manual. i can launch at about 2K rpm by loading up the transmission ( hold down both pedals hard as can ) ... it is perfectly possible to smoke up the supra factory mags.

also heard ppl complaining about the supras takeoff. auto prolly helps there just by making it a little harder so smoke the tires than in a manual. only cos you don't have a clutch, i think this auto phobia is a load of bullshit made up by kids who like to look cool.

your auto is also gonna be better in a drag cos you can load it up ( yea this puts some stress on your auto box ... tell me what does launching at 4,000 rpm do to a street car manual box and clutch ? ) and don't have to mess around shifting gears, just try to guess your gear range right ( that manual button rules ! ) or let the auto box and ecu brain figure it out. tho mine tends to stick in first for ages. works better after i got the box flushed and filter changed etc.

manual boxes are better for circuit type racing where you need the extra gear ranges to keep in your power band at different speeds around a course. it depends what you're going to do to your car.

easy to drive. power steered, auto, comfy seats ... you say you have a targa top, is it a 2.0tt or a 3.0t ? i recently decided to let a 2.0tt slip through my fingers ... can you describe it to me ?

Delivering it home with a friend driving the Supra for the first time. I drop gears and make a scream from the twin pipes flowing down this pony's flanks and it takes off like it's tail's on fire.

I look back when the Honda gets to its tap-out and the Supra's only two lengths behind. No one I've let ride my bike has told me its slow, they've all loved the thing. That car is a good thing indeed.
lethalwithasupra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2006, 11:38 PM   #9
XKeyLocX
Stock

Mine is a 3.0turbo ... targa top .. all power ... i jus ordered a hks blow off valve and jus today i ordered a hks turbo exhaust ...
Old 01-27-2006, 06:25 AM   #10
lethalwithasupra
3" Exhaust

lethalwithasupra is on a distinguished road

yea 2.0tt is lame cheap power. for such a heavy car you really need the extra almost litre and just one turbo.

damn i want a targa.

Delivering it home with a friend driving the Supra for the first time. I drop gears and make a scream from the twin pipes flowing down this pony's flanks and it takes off like it's tail's on fire.

I look back when the Honda gets to its tap-out and the Supra's only two lengths behind. No one I've let ride my bike has told me its slow, they've all loved the thing. That car is a good thing indeed.

Last edited by lethalwithasupra; 01-27-2006 at 06:30 AM.
lethalwithasupra is offline   Reply With Quote