Home / Toyota Supra Forums

Go Back   Toyota Supra Forums! Join the Supra forum! > Performance, Modification, and Maintenance Forums - for generation specific discussions > MKIII Supra

Old 12-14-2005, 05:00 AM   #1
stikasupra1ggte
Stock

stikasupra1ggte is on a distinguished road
Default Has any one ever done up a 1ggte or

How come any where i see a 87 - 91 supra picture article
they all 7m engines or 1jz.....

How come no one does the 1ggte engine up??????

I got mine back in 2002 with 70,000 kms on odomoter,
since then i havnt been able to see even one !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Is there a problem with the engine.
do people thnk that .5 of a litre makes that much difference.
Grand prix cars where 2 litre v10 and v 12....

Or is to much older and no one wants to touch.....
Just ive been doing my car up
new paint job, rims, exhaust, turbo timer, which is all easy
but cant ever find any info on what to do to my engine

A company gave me a price of $9000 in australia to redo everything on the engine
crank,pistons and a turbo conversion for a single turbo???? on my 1ggte....

Last edited by stikasupra1ggte; 12-14-2005 at 05:54 AM.
stikasupra1ggte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2005, 07:16 PM   #2
j3pz
500whp yet?

j3pz is on a distinguished road
Default location maybe

i think it is because most of us live in places where the 7m or 1jz were sent, if that engine was sent over to the U.S. instead of the 7m, we would be doing them.
Old 12-14-2005, 09:08 PM   #3
lifesnotfair
3" Exhaust

lifesnotfair is on a distinguished road
Default Me...

I actually do think that 2 liters is not enough for such a heavy car. Sure, with several mods. it could be "fast"... but it'd be better to work on the bigger engines.

You wonder why people use the other engines... easy question:

212HP stock vs.:

232 for 7M-GTE, and MUCH more torque for being a 3 liter instead of a 2 liter.
280 for the 1JZ, and obviously more torque and more everything, even if it's only .5 liters larger as you mention (huge power difference).

I think the 1G is not the best option :-(

And btw, I run an N/A 7M-GE so your car, even in stock form, was probably faster =P
lifesnotfair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2005, 04:43 AM   #4
stikasupra1ggte
Stock

Im sure its the same here in Australia, with the importing,

all the 7m and non turbo models where delivered and the

1jz and the iggte had to be a separate import...

Did you get the 1jz delivered by toyota or by import companies....

I couldnt find a supra 87 in australia that had low kms on it..... and they were all the 7m engine but all like over 180 000 kms..... and over

Everytime i think i should not do up the engine something good happens...
for example...
i had a drag against a r32 skyline gts t, he just beat me, so i didnt worry about it too much, until
he followed me for about 10kms to when we pulled over and asked questions...
he was running 12 pound boost, electronic, triple plate clutch, front mount intercooler and 3 inch exhaust running through......

unless he was a shit assed driver , but he seemed to know his stuff

all i had at this stage was a skyline clutch......
Old 12-16-2005, 01:12 AM   #5
Littlestan
Intake

Littlestan is on a distinguished road

Hey Stickasupra1GGTE,

I own a 1G-GTE as well, and I think I've got answers for you.

The 1G was a Japan only engine, designed to comply with their strict smog laws while sacrificing some HP for longevity of the engine.

The reason you don't see too many of them around is because most of them are still over there! I had my 1990 TT shipped from there with 50,000K.

It took a lot of research to figure out what I can/cannot do with the engine, and basically I wouldn't plan on going over 400HP with the stock engine internals.

I'll post more info with specifics to what you can do to mod the engine cheaply and reliably.

Peace,

-=Littlestan=-
Littlestan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2005, 02:48 AM   #6
Littlestan
Intake

OK, here's what I am going to do/have done with my engine;

1. Upped exhaust to 3inch. It's excessive, but I plan on getting a 1JZ soon. 2.5" is plenty enough. By the way, when people say they've added a bigger exhaust it usually means they've also matched their downpipe and turbo elbow with the same size. Just doing the exhaust piping is not enough.

2. Get a CAI (Cold Air Intake) and a "more-flow" type AFM. There are several types of upgradeable AFM's to choose from, including the famous Lexus AFM. I'm going to be using this one;

http://www.horsepowerfreaks.com/sale...rchkeyword/AFM

3. 550cc injectors to go with the newly upgraded air intake system. More air flow = more fuel needed else lean out condition will occur.

4. Also need a fuel computer to tune it all in now that you've completely circumvated all your stock ECU running specs. Some choices are Apexi S-AFC, HKS VPC (which are discontinued now, but still work great), or a Blitz unit though they're harder to find.

5. A wideband type O2 sensor. MUST HAVE for accurate tuning.

6. Exhaust headers. You NEED this before getting a boost controller. I'm buying this one from OBX since they are the only manufacturer I can find that does one for the 1G-GTE twin turbo design. If you're going to switch to a single turbo, then good luck in finding a header.

7. Boost controller. Lots of good one's out there, just be sure to get a electronic unit if you can afford it. The mechanical one's, though getting better, are still prone to inaccuracies.

8. Either replace the 2 stock CT-12's with larger twins (still can't find any direct bolt on's) or get them rebuilt to larger trim sizes. Nice thing about the twins is they spool up faster than a single does, though sometimes that's not to be desired...

9. Aftermarket intercooler. Any one that you prefer that will fit will be better than the stock one. Not to say it's horrible, but after all these other upgrades, it will NOT give you sufficient cooling. I believe the stock piping is of an acceptable size, though you may wish to upgrade to metal/carbon fiber piping for safety reasons.

This is pretty much all the major stuff that needs to happen in order to make any sort of decent power gains. I'm assuming you're already thought of upgrading the brakes, bigger clutch pack, and removing dead weight from this tank of a vehicle? I thought so...

Anyways, there it is. Good luck and post pics of your 1G; I haven't seen any others either!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	TH10267_3[1].jpg
Views:	1135
Size:	87.0 KB
ID:	87   Click image for larger version

Name:	TH10267_6[1].jpg
Views:	1858
Size:	87.2 KB
ID:	88   Click image for larger version

Name:	Supra.jpg
Views:	916
Size:	106.6 KB
ID:	89   Click image for larger version

Name:	Supraengine.jpg
Views:	2775
Size:	101.2 KB
ID:	90  

Last edited by Littlestan; 12-16-2005 at 02:50 AM. Reason: Added another important item.
Old 12-16-2005, 04:36 AM   #7
stikasupra1ggte
Stock

Your car looks nice bro... engine looks so clean....

those OBX are they american brand, am i available to get these in australia.

ive got a 2.5 piping but no extractors or piping from turbo but i can feel that its not pushing enough out allready.... when go above 4500 rpm.

How much for those extractors roughly...

My mate actually yesterday found out that his 91 supra he is trying to import to australia is going to seized by customs....

so that has a 1jz in it, 3 inch flow through and body kit....

So Should i do up the 1ggte motor or i might be able to get this motor off him cheapish now..... and start with that....

But everyone has a 1jz......

nice to blow them all off with a 1ggte....

If you could send some more pics of your car, as well....
cheers
Old 12-16-2005, 08:10 AM   #8
Littlestan
Intake

Thanks for the kudos, Stickasupra1ggte!

Not sure what brand the OBX are, but I found a couple of them on eBay. They were going for $370 Canadian at the time, which is pretty damn cheap if you ask me. You should be able to grab 'em off there.

Yeah, that's the downfall of the twin turbo setup. Once you get up to about 5K RPM, it just stops pushing air. Which is why most people opt for the single turbo setup; takes a bit longer to spool up, but your top end is bottomless.

As much as I'd like to think we could blow away even a mildly modded 1JZ with our rare 1G engine, it's not gonna happen brotha'. Like I was saying, our stock internals are good for up to a MAX of about 400HP. The 1JZ internal are good for 700-800HP. STOCK. And it doesn't take much to overboost those single turbo driven bad boys beyond 400HP. As a matter of fact, that's pretty much Stage 1 HP rating for the 1JZ; mild mods done to it.

Of course, that's not to say we couldn't invest about a trillion dollars in getting our sweet little 1G's over even 500HP. I just don't have that kind of cash though... Take the 1JZ if you can get it mon. You'll thank me later.

Take care,

-=Littlestan=-

P.S. Go here for more pics of my baby; http://abbotsfordjapanauto.com/im1016.html
Old 12-17-2005, 03:03 AM   #9
j3pz
500whp yet?

j3pz is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Littlestan
Hey Stickasupra1GGTE,

The 1G was a Japan only engine, designed to comply with their strict smog laws while sacrificing some HP for longevity of the engine.

-=Littlestan=-
oh ya two points for jesse! im the best guesser
Old 03-25-2006, 06:52 PM   #10
Jazzsaxsupra
Stock

Jazzsaxsupra is on a distinguished road

I must agree with stikasupra1ggte, that is one pretty engine. I wish my 7MGE was that pretty...
Jazzsaxsupra is offline   Reply With Quote