Home / Toyota Supra Forums

Go Back   Toyota Supra Forums! Join the Supra forum! > Performance, Modification, and Maintenance Forums - for generation specific discussions > MKIII Supra

Old 12-09-2005, 05:44 PM   #1
frankwhite
Stock

frankwhite is on a distinguished road
Default whats wrong with my supra????

the other day me and my girlfriend drove my 89 turbo to dinner. driving there it was fine...when we were leaving...i started driving and my engine started missing. i would push on the gas and the car would jolt and not accelerate properly, the rpms werent going up smoothly.the check engine light did not come on...i dont know anything about cars so i took it to my mechanic. he told me a couple spark plugs and spark plug wires were shot and that could be the problem...he changed those and its still missing. he tells me that its just because of bad fuel and i should wait the problem out but i cant accept that. i always fill with premium shell everytime. is it my o2 sensor? fuel pump? please help me!
frankwhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2005, 07:33 PM   #2
scorpmatt
Stock

scorpmatt is on a distinguished road

Reccomend you take it to a 2nd mechanic to get another opinion. Is the engine making a different noise than normal? Or does it feel like that the engine has power but it isn't going to the wheels? If it's the later, its either the transmission or the drivetrain.
scorpmatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2005, 08:06 PM   #3
frankwhite
Stock

no it doesnt have any of those problems...my mechanic told me to drive it until the tank is empty, put some fuel injector fluid in it, and some new gas..he said if that doesnt work its probably the fuel filter...does this sound right??

the car feels like its not getting the right amount of gas to the engine when in gear...in neutral, if i push on the gas the rpms rise normally, in gear, they arent smooth and the car jolts while driving.

pleeeaaasssee heeellllppp
Old 12-09-2005, 09:42 PM   #4
joel w
Lexus & 550's

joel w is on a distinguished road

check your codes?
joel w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2005, 09:42 PM   #5
InvisibleRogue
Stock

InvisibleRogue is on a distinguished road

I dont know a ton about these cars yet, but it sounds like you have symptoms similar to water inside the distributor cap. Although I dont think the supra has a regular distributor.

If the car has a boost controller on it, i.e. EVC, this also can cause this type of effect when the controller malfunctions, or so i have heard.
InvisibleRogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2005, 12:42 AM   #6
Gigler
Stock

Gigler is on a distinguished road
Talking Gass Tank ?

happens when your turning with low gass level ?, if so then its moisture in the gass tank, Just a thought try cleaning dizy cap luggs ( inside cap ) emrypaper the rotor and all leads from / to sparkplugs and Coil, try a contact moisture cleaner around dizy and tipps of spark plugs, remover spark plugs and cleen, regap, and emrypaper the electrode, See how that works
Old 12-11-2005, 06:25 PM   #7
Burn N' Up
3" Exhaust

Burn N' Up is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up

First of all you shouldn't have let your girl drive your Supra, as it happens to be the only thing more jealous than a girlfriend and probably broke to teach you a lesson.

If your accelerating hard and its worse than when you accelerate soft then it could be a fuel supply or ignition issue. The engine demands more but the pump, filter, regulator, or injectors just arn't making it happen, or you somehow dented a fuel line which is very very difficult to do just driving. It sounds like, besides the possibility of a huge ECU or CDI error, that your ignition was more or less made about as good as it is going to get. If you would describe the motion of the car when it is expierencing this problem has "Herky Jerky" there is a good chance its fuel related.

A filter is cheap and so is a bottle or injector cleaner that you can just poor in the gas tank. Also, use some Seafoam on that bad boy. FOLLOW THE DIRECTIONS AND READ THEM ALL BEFORE YOU USE IT, heheh. My Supra loved it some Seafoam. Try the above real quick, especially if you havn't replaced the filter before. Good luck, come back and let us know how it went or if you need more help.
Burn N' Up is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2005, 06:30 PM   #8
Burn N' Up
3" Exhaust

Burn N' Up is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gigler
happens when your turning with low gass level ?, if so then its moisture in the gass tank, Just a thought try cleaning dizy cap luggs ( inside cap ) emrypaper the rotor and all leads from / to sparkplugs and Coil, try a contact moisture cleaner around dizy and tipps of spark plugs, remover spark plugs and cleen, regap, and emrypaper the electrode, See how that works
Just for the record, there is no distibuter in the Turbo MKIIIs. No Coil either. CDI. You already replaced your plugs which is better than cleaning and regapping. They are cheap to replace, take good care of your baby.
Burn N' Up is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2005, 06:24 AM   #9
frankwhite
Stock

Default bad fuel?

the problem ceased...maybe it was bad fuel? Thats what i was told. i dont knwo shit about cars.
Old 12-13-2005, 07:59 PM   #10
toyota_guru
Intake

toyota_guru is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burn N' Up
Just for the record, there is no distibuter in the Turbo MKIIIs. No Coil either. CDI. You already replaced your plugs which is better than cleaning and regapping. They are cheap to replace, take good care of your baby.
No coils? then what are those black things on the top of the V/C with all the spark plug wires going to it? Oh thats right, its a coil pack.