Home / Toyota Supra Forums

Go Back   Toyota Supra Forums! Join the Supra forum! > Performance, Modification, and Maintenance Forums - for generation specific discussions > MKIII Supra

Old 11-30-2005, 04:01 AM   #1
lifesnotfair
3" Exhaust

lifesnotfair is on a distinguished road
Default Which one would you get?

Hello everyone. I'm from the Dominican Republic and I'm considering buying one of the two following Supras. I'll mention the prices in our value, "peso", which is about 1/33 of a US dollar. But you'll get the picture.

Both are '88, both have the pre-89 front bumper (which I don't like), and both have the pre-89 tail lights (which I don't like either). So that I'd do to any of these.

#1. Red (recently painted, so in great paint conditions) with grey interior. Stock 7M N/A engine with automatic tranny. Stock rims, stock everything. Everything works on this one, it's nearly flawless. Even a radio with equalizer and nice speakers. Nice A/C, power everything... very minor interior wear (like the e-brake boot, a tiny little thing in left door), but overall excellent interior I'd say. Stock exhaust, stock air intake... NOT Targa. 90,000.

#2. White, seems to be on stock paint, which is in good conditions for it's age, and the Targa (yeah, this one is Targa) is painted black. Doesn't look bad. Paint is good as I said, but paint in the red one is obviously better. Dark-red interior in nearly flawless conditions as well, although speedometer doesn't work, the glass (or plastic) in the cluster is broken, and the glovebox doesn't open (well, you have to stick your finger to the hole and work it out... and no, this didn't have a second meaning :P ) .. The windshield on this one is cracked (long crack) and would need to be changed. This has an aftermarket muffler, but stock exhaust pipes (2-1/4 right?). It has 17" BBS rims that look quite nice on it. A/C also very fine, everything seems to work... This one was originally a 7M-GTE Supra, but it has now a 1G Turbo engine (twin turbo I believe), which manual tranny. It pulls obviously much stronger than the auto, but still not as hard as I'd wish. It has a radio too, although I didn't even look at it, heh. 150,000.

I want a daily driver. I want it to be fast... not a 12-sec car of course, but a fast car for a daily driver. I like going sideways sometimes so I'd have to buy a posy differential, which none of these have. I hate auto trannies so I'd have to change the one in the cheap one, and I'd obviously change that engine as well. I just cannot seem to decide myself.

Just so you guys have a clue... there's a 1JZ turbo, with manual tranny, ecu, wires and everything.. for sale for about 70,000.. that's just over the difference in prices of these two cars. Although a 1JZ might mean doing some more work, maybe not too much of a daily driver? Would it be safer to go with a 7M-GTE engine with some basic mods on it? That one would cost about half of the 1JZ, so with the money for the 1JZ alone, I could buy the 7M-GTE, a good set of rims, and probably an intercooler as well. Economically the 7M option seems the best... but in here (I don't know if it's because poeple are dumb in here or what), the 7M's have an AWFUL history... everybody keeps breaking them.. maybe due to the stock faults it comes up with? (I know little about that, could someone plz enlighten me??).

Anyways, what does anyone think?
A good set of rims would probably cost around 25,000, the 3" exhaust about 7,000... Would the automatic one look good with the manual tranny swap? Is it easy to make everything work again? Stock gauges and stuff?...
lifesnotfair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2005, 04:02 AM   #2
lifesnotfair
3" Exhaust

Default Hrm...

Forgot to say, these are the best 2 Supras, as far as conditions go, that I've seen in here. I couldn't find any signs of any "hits", as in being involved in a crash or accident. Both flawless in that aspect.

I've owned 300ZX TT and Rx-7, btw... I'd own a 300ZX again if I could :P .. but I wanna try these MK3's, I've always liked them :P
Old 11-30-2005, 06:36 AM   #3
rnoswal
Lexus & 550's

rnoswal is on a distinguished road

Dreaming........buy them both, get the best out of red one and put it in the white one then sell the red one.

Personally I would take the white manual with turbo but I would like the rims off the other. Manual I think is better, but just a preference thing.

The price seems pretty good though. I bet you get other opinions.

Let us know what you decide.

Russ
rnoswal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2005, 12:43 PM   #4
lifesnotfair
3" Exhaust

Default Hey!

That is a good opinion, but there's a problem: the red has NOTHING superior to the white one, except paint conditions, the windshield is fine, and the interior is a tiny bit better (cluster not cracked, speedometer works).

The white one has all the fun... Targa, manual, turbo 1G, 17" rims... but it's so much pricey! It's over 50% over the price of the red one. I'm thinking of going for the red one... I think I could put some rims on the red one, 7M-GTE with manual tranny, and then, only then, I'd be reaching the price of the white one... and I'd have a car with a better engine (I personally think 1G is not good for such a heavy car, engine displacement is too small for it), better paint, wouldnt have to change windshield.. and I could even recover some of the cash by selling the N/A 7M and the stock rims, so hell, it seems so much better to go with the red one right now. I would buy the white one if the mothe****** would lower that price. I saw them both yesterday again, the white one is not that slow with the 1G.. it has stock exhaust, I bet with a 3" it could gain some horses, and maybe a few other mods would make it move rather decently. Still, I just don't know.

And I too prefer manual tranny, all my cars so far have been manual .. If I buy the red one I'd change the engine/tranny soon. Argh, such a tough choice.
Old 11-30-2005, 02:28 PM   #5
SupraMan1784
SP58GT

SupraMan1784 is on a distinguished road

i personally would get the white one even though it requires a little more care to fix all the odds and ends, id rather have a manual tranny straight off the bat than to deal with a transmission swap, also id rather have a turbo motor than deal with a motor swap, only because i wouldnt want to wait a while to get the car up and running the way i want it to, in my case when i got the 1jz everything dropped in...took a couple weeks to get hte parts and install it, but it was worth it, though its really more on how much u want to spend, power wise the white one would be ideal because you could build on waht the guy has now, the red one you might spend a little more since you are starting from stock, but like u said wait for the guy to lower hte price and try to negotiate for something more reasonable
421whp 400(399) ft*lbs of torque on tap @ 15 psi

"Always outnumbered, never outgunned."
SupraMan1784 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2005, 07:14 PM   #6
joel w
Lexus & 550's

joel w is on a distinguished road

id agree with SupraMan1784. get the turbo for fun factor.. but i am bias...
joel w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2005, 09:50 PM   #7
ddmcse
500whp yet?

ddmcse is on a distinguished road
Cool

a no brainer

targa top & turbo !
My Supra KiXGaS
ddmcse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2005, 11:04 PM   #8
lifesnotfair
3" Exhaust

Default But..

Fellas, the Turbo one has a 1G engine! That's a small 6 cly 2.0 liters... is that any good? I've heard awful reviews on the 7M-GTE.

The 1G seems like an engine that needs to be heaivly modded to get anything out of it.. or am I wrong? I mean, the car felt nice when we tested it, at least at higher RPMs (quite slow at start). It has thin exhaust, but a good air filter and has a nice blow off valve. The factory 212HP seem very little for a heavy car, and so does the torque that comes from a 2 liter engine. I'm actually thinking that a 7M-GTE, in stock form, would be more powerful than this... or am I wrong?

I was gonna buy the auto one today, but the guy took too much time and it started raining, it became night, I told him "lets do it tomorrow", but I'm very close to backing up, this is two days in a row that I was gonna buy it and did not.

The m*r*n with the white one is a cocky guy who doesn't seem like he'd drop that price, and I still think that costing 166.5% the price of the auto one, is just too much... I mean, it does have a broken glass, non working glovebox, and it's missing the two things that one slides to cover the sun, on top of our heads? ... I dunno, I find it too expensive. It's also missing spare tire

Damn I'm sick of this, I was hoping to have the f*****n' car today, so I'm pissed as hell. Maybe I shouldn't buy any of these Supras. Blah. :-(
Old 12-01-2005, 02:07 PM   #9
rnoswal
Lexus & 550's

rnoswal is on a distinguished road

The turbo 7M-GTE is an excellent motor. You can really get a lot of HP out of it. It sounds great and if built right is very reliable. The auto with the turbo is not a bad combination really. You can keep your foot in it and not have to worry about missed shifts and that really hurts! When the turbo kicks in there aren't many cars that can keep up, especially for the price you are looking at.

The white car has its problems, but you have to be concerned with problems when ever you buy a used car. You have to be flexible and willing to put up with things until you get used to the car.

I think you are right though about a 2 litre engine being too small for a heavy sports car. The 3.0 7M is much better and better torque.

If the guy won't take a reasonable offer, then you may just have to let it go. There will be other opportunities.

Russ
rnoswal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2005, 03:51 AM   #10
lifesnotfair
3" Exhaust

Default Ok...

Bought it, gonna start a new tread about it, so anyone who feels like talking about this can go to the new one, which I will title "Finally bought a MKIII!".