Home / Toyota Supra Forums

Go Back   Toyota Supra Forums! Join the Supra forum! > Performance, Modification, and Maintenance Forums - for generation specific discussions > MKIII Supra

Old 10-06-2010, 09:49 PM   #1
Reverb
Stock

Reverb is on a distinguished road
Default So I bought a 1986.5 Supra, and I have a few problems.

Well, the biggest is is that I'm about stupid when it comes to cars.

But other than that, let me start this off by saying I bought an '86.5 MKIII for $500. I figured it was a good enough deal, so I got it.

So on to the problem. It didn't have a battery, so it was replaced. Then came the fuses. And now it will not start, not even turn over. But the horn will (barely) honk and the lights will come on and go up and down.

I'm expecting it to be something so simple it's crazy, but could anyone possibly help?
Reverb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 12:24 AM   #2
kingison
Intake

kingison is on a distinguished road

Expect plenty more problems when you fix this one. Sorry but it is what it is. I figure now i was better off with car payments than this thing.
kingison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 12:59 AM   #3
Travis89Turbo
12psi boost

Travis89Turbo is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverb View Post
Well, the biggest is is that I'm about stupid when it comes to cars.

But other than that, let me start this off by saying I bought an '86.5 MKIII for $500. I figured it was a good enough deal, so I got it.

So on to the problem. It didn't have a battery, so it was replaced. Then came the fuses. And now it will not start, not even turn over. But the horn will (barely) honk and the lights will come on and go up and down.

I'm expecting it to be something so simple it's crazy, but could anyone possibly help?
Okay. Where to start. First check the voltage at the battery with a volt meter. That would be the first thing I would suspect.. then check the fuses on the deivers side kick panel.. and of course the ones under the hood... I kno u said u did this but do it again. Its real easy to miss one.. get back with me

1995 Toyota Supra SE 71k miles. Master power T70
stock 2jzge

1989 Toyota Supra. 1jzgte swap 5 speed of course..
Driftmotion 60-1 single turbo kit. Cxracing FMIC. 2jz 550cc injectors... soon to come..... EMS Stinger. BC 264 cams 680cc injectors Spec stage 4 clutch and A LOT of boost!------SOLD

1999 Ford F350 diesel

2004 Jaguar XJR Supercharged

If it hasnt broke you haven pushed it hard enough!!
Travis89Turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 01:07 AM   #4
Reverb
Stock

Reverb is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingison View Post
Expect plenty more problems when you fix this one. Sorry but it is what it is. I figure now i was better off with car payments than this thing.
Fixing it is partly why I bought it. I mean, I have to start somewhere, and why not on a car I've wanted for ages?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis89Turbo View Post
Okay. Where to start. First check the voltage at the battery with a volt meter. That would be the first thing I would suspect.. then check the fuses on the deivers side kick panel.. and of course the ones under the hood... I kno u said u did this but do it again. Its real easy to miss one.. get back with me
It's a new battery, so does it still need it's voltage checked? Or does a volt meter do something completely different from what I think?

There's more on the driver's side? How many fuse boxes does the car have? Also, does it have any indication of the fuses it needs, in case some are missing? If not, could anyone provide a diagram or something?

And the one's under the hood are good. I've checked that two or three times since I replaced it. Only one's I'm kinda iffy about are the two big ones, which I was told I'd probably have to get from a dealer.
Reverb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 01:20 AM   #5
Travis89Turbo
12psi boost

Travis89Turbo is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverb View Post
Fixing it is partly why I bought it. I mean, I have to start somewhere, and why not on a car I've wanted for ages?

It's a new battery, so does it still need it's voltage checked? Or does a volt meter do something completely different from what I think?

There's more on the driver's side? How many fuse boxes does the car have? Also, does it have any indication of the fuses it needs, in case some are missing? If not, could anyone provide a diagram or something?

And the one's under the hood are good. I've checked that two or three times since I replaced it. Only one's I'm kinda iffy about are the two big ones, which I was told I'd probably have to get from a dealer.
The ones on the drivers side kick panel has some main fuses which power the ignition and efi computer. check the link below and go forward to see all the fuses. And click page back to see location. Also bookmark this page it is the mkiii supra service repair manual. Or known as tsrm

http://www.cygnusx1.net/Supra/Librar...aspx?S=BE&P=13

Don't ever assume something new can't be bad. Especially a batt. But id check fuses first. And a volt meter just checks voltage. But they are very handy and necessary when troubleshooting

1995 Toyota Supra SE 71k miles. Master power T70
stock 2jzge

1989 Toyota Supra. 1jzgte swap 5 speed of course..
Driftmotion 60-1 single turbo kit. Cxracing FMIC. 2jz 550cc injectors... soon to come..... EMS Stinger. BC 264 cams 680cc injectors Spec stage 4 clutch and A LOT of boost!------SOLD

1999 Ford F350 diesel

2004 Jaguar XJR Supercharged

If it hasnt broke you haven pushed it hard enough!!
Travis89Turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 05:43 PM   #6
fantasma87
3" Exhaust

fantasma87 is on a distinguished road

hey reverb try to find the post that talks about the alarm system, it happend to me before and that was it. GOOD JOB on having the supra , you will enjoy it. if i`m not mistaken on the bottom of the steering wheel colum theres a small black box with a lot of cables , i`m not sure but i believe that the blue and orage cable it`s the one you have to cut and ground the one out from the car not the box, but verify and hope that solves your problem. don`t let simple stuff ruin your project. Good luck . Q

ARMY STRONG !!

La fiebre Boricua Puerto Rico!!!
fantasma87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 06:18 PM   #7
Grandavi
walbro fp

Grandavi is on a distinguished road

500.00 is chumpchange.. you can part it out and make lots more.. hehe.

I am in same boat though.. wanted the car since new (actually wanted the MKII .. burgandy.. but ended up with the MKIII because of the targa and turbo). Definitely worth the coin in my opinion.

I believe if the alternator or starter wires are not connected properly (tightly and cleanly) this can cause the same issue as well. Also, the ground wire to the body should be attached firmly and cleanly. My 90 wouldnt turn over because the ground wire had actually popped out of the cable going to the battery.

Sometimes, pictures of the car/engine bay help us guess along with you.
Grandavi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 07:14 PM   #8
fantasma87
3" Exhaust

fantasma87 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by grandavi View Post
500.00 is chumpchange.. You can part it out and make lots more.. Hehe.

Sometimes, pictures of the car/engine bay help us guess along with you.
words with light and hope !!!!!!!

ARMY STRONG !!

La fiebre Boricua Puerto Rico!!!
fantasma87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 03:23 PM   #9
Metaphysico
Stock

Metaphysico is on a distinguished road

first note the two large fuses you are talking about in the fuse block in the engine bay may the the headlight ones depending on which you are talking about. They only get power when the headlights are on.

A few common problems, starter relay not getting enough power to the starter. And alarm system tripped. First for the alarm system, shut the hood hatch and doors, lock both the driver and passenger door with the key, you should see red security light on the dash come on, after 15 seconds it will start to blink this means the alarm is armed. Then unlock the door with the key to turn the alarm off. This will reset the system if it has been tripped.

Second for the starter problem, take a wire and attach it to the starter signal wire, it is the small wire that is a pain to get to. I just stick a wire into the back of the plastic connector. Then tough the other end to the battery positive terminal. This will engage the starter, so if its a stick shift MAKE SURE ITS IN NEUTRAL. Or a auto make sure its in park.

Lastly give us some more info, do the lights work, does the dash light up and gauges work. Ect. The more info the more we can help.
Metaphysico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 04:03 PM   #10
Ranma
12psi boost

Ranma is an unknown quantity at this point
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingison View Post
Got my Supra as a fun ride, not for transportation. Have my 2009 Honda Civic EXL for basic transport. (no payments)
If you want a cheap ride, why don't you go out and buy a used Chev Cobalt? Get that great GM feeling!