Home / Toyota Supra Forums

Go Back   Toyota Supra Forums! Join the Supra forum! > Performance, Modification, and Maintenance Forums - for generation specific discussions > MKIII Supra

Old 01-23-2013, 09:20 PM   #1
pandrade
12psi boost

pandrade is on a distinguished road
Default AFM replacment options

hey guys i finaly got the supra better maintained but now the AFM has gone bad, i did all the tests on it according to the TSRM and the haynes manuals and confirmed its bad.what i would like to know is what are my options to replace

here are my current options
1.replace it whith a new one from dealer which is 956$ before taxes(not wanting to do this option)
2.try junk yards and hope one is good(iv been doing that and no good)
3.buy a mass air flow translator http://www.horsepowerfreaks.com/part...slators//10242
and get rid of the factory toyota system, i belive this would be my best option, and since its not the MAFT pro i dont need to tune anything

I am open to any ones .02cents
Old 01-24-2013, 02:54 AM   #2
cre

Toyota
Racing
Development

cre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond repute

I'm all for converting. You should still run the car with a wideband to ensure that the fuel scaling is correct. The original MAFT unit which you are referring does actually have trim adjustments, they're just tucked away inside the unit. If you don't have a wideband in your car and don't have access to one then plan on a couple quick dyno runs and budget for that too.
If something breaks or you need to contact a member of the administration please post HERE. Unless it's a private or administration matter please post it on the forum. It benefits no one else if car related questions aren't posted for future users and takes away from the time I'm able to spend helping on the rest of the forum.

If you're so inclined I'm always more than happy to accept tips via PayPal.
Tip Jar --->
cre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 11:23 PM   #3
Sonyps307
Lexus & 550's

Sonyps307 is on a distinguished road

I was think about going with the hks vpc but this converter looks like it will be easier to set up.
Sonyps307 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 08:29 PM   #4
pandrade
12psi boost

recently iv come into a lower supra budget, would it be better to just have it tuned at a dyno shop like you said or should i save a little more and buy a wideband(i have no experiance tuneing so i think i should go to my local reputable tuner)
Old 01-30-2013, 06:46 PM   #5
cre

Toyota
Racing
Development

cre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond repute

It may not need any tweaking at all. What you want to do is to get a wideband reading at cold idle and while at WOT. As you'll be leaving the rest of the stock system in tack the ECU will be able to adjust for any other offset. The adjustments are just minor trims to the fueling. I don't think any one dial is capable of 10% (possibly not even that much). The high load trim is probably the only one which will need adjustment. Paying for a full tuning session would be a waste. If you know anyone at the shop all you really need is to do two or three WOT pulls on the dyno. After each one tweak the high load trim dial a little and you should have it spot on by/after the third run. If you're still uncomfortable then by all means pay a shop to do it... It shouldn't cost much given how little this needs to be adjusted and you'll already have it installed.
If something breaks or you need to contact a member of the administration please post HERE. Unless it's a private or administration matter please post it on the forum. It benefits no one else if car related questions aren't posted for future users and takes away from the time I'm able to spend helping on the rest of the forum.

Tip Jar --->
Old 01-31-2013, 03:31 PM   #6
pandrade
12psi boost

well thanks for your insght cre, out of curiosity is a bad afm something common in the 7m gte or (im assumeing) age and mileage like any other part
Old 01-31-2013, 11:53 PM   #7
cre

Toyota
Racing
Development

The 7M-GTE's KVAFM isn't a "wear component" per se but they use a very sensitive optical sensor and are VERY delicate. There are a number of factors which contribute to their demise including improper handling and/or servicing and fogging of the optics.

The 7M-GE's VAFM IS a "wear component" and should be replaced about as often as the TPS which uses the same type of internal mechanisms to generate it's signal. How often these components may need to be replaced will depend on how the vehicle is driven and how varied the operating conditions are. From what I've seen personally they're almost always out of spec by the time the timing belt is changed. The TPS on the GTE isn't an exception to this.

Tip Jar --->