Home / Toyota Supra Forums

Go Back   Toyota Supra Forums! Join the Supra forum! > Performance, Modification, and Maintenance Forums - for generation specific discussions > MKIII Supra

Old 11-18-2012, 02:27 AM   #1
lazer371
Stock

lazer371 is on a distinguished road
Default Tires Rubbing

Hey everyone,
I just finished installing my H&R lowering springs and bilstein shocks and the car sits where it should imo. But I'm having trouble with the wheels rubbing on the fenders/wheel wells from just a spin around the block. I've got a set of mitsubishi starion wheels (16x7 up front and 16x8's in the back) with 205/55r16 tires in the front and 225/50r16 tires in the back.

My question is if I just buy tires with less of a sidewall, say 45's or 40's will this solve the rubbing issue?

Thanks.
Old 11-18-2012, 03:00 AM   #2
cre

Toyota
Racing
Development

cre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond repute

If you think it's bad now just wait until the springs settle.

I've known a few people who've complained of rubbing while turning hard with H&Rs but from the sound of it your situation is more severe. I expect the offset of those rims may be a large part of the problem. A lower profile tire may help but it's hard to say until you find out where it's rubbing and how much clearance you have... It may fix it or it may not make any difference at all.
If something breaks or you need to contact a member of the administration please post HERE. Unless it's a private or administration matter please post it on the forum. It benefits no one else if car related questions aren't posted for future users and takes away from the time I'm able to spend helping on the rest of the forum.

If you're so inclined I'm always more than happy to accept tips via PayPal.
Tip Jar --->
cre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 04:06 AM   #3
907mge
20psi boost

907mge is on a distinguished road

I agree with cre on this one. Your off set is most likely way off with the rim and tire pushed to far out. My friend runs 235s in the front and 275s in the rear with H&R Springs. His tires sit close to the fenders but don't rub. Proper wheel fitment has everything to do with offset.
907mge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 06:14 AM   #4
cre

Toyota
Racing
Development

cre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond repute

If the offset is too far off one way the wheels may hit the fender or the wheel well covers, too far the other way and they hit suspension members. If they're hitting on the inside, and you just love the wheels, you could probably just add spacers to move the wheels out.
If something breaks or you need to contact a member of the administration please post HERE. Unless it's a private or administration matter please post it on the forum. It benefits no one else if car related questions aren't posted for future users and takes away from the time I'm able to spend helping on the rest of the forum.

Tip Jar --->
Old 11-18-2012, 08:16 PM   #5
lazer371
Stock

From what I understand from doing some research is that the offset is +18 in the front and-10 in the back for the starion rims and the my mk3's rims have a stock offset of +37. I'm not too familiar with wheel offset, is the difference in offsets enough to cause an issue by itself?

On a side note,I'll definitely be getting new tires in the near future with smaller sidewalls.
Old 11-18-2012, 10:46 PM   #6
cre

Toyota
Racing
Development

Sure the offset could be the entire problem. Offset it the distance in mm from the mounting face (the area where the rim meets the brake rotor)to the center of the rim. So it's not just a magic number, the width of the rim plays a significant role too. For a rim that's 1cm wider than stock you'd have to have an offset 5mm lower than the stock offset of 37mm in order for the interior lip to remain the same distance from the suspension. Are those rims wider than the sawblades? Have you identified where it's rubbing?

Quick Google search and viola! http://kgm.tiwing.com/calcs/offsetcalc.htm

EDIT: Nevermind, I see you posted the wheel dimensions above already. Given those dimensions the offset isn't to blame, it's a number of factors including the drop, sidewall and offset. Are the tires rubbing the outer part of the fender? Rolling the fenders may be in order.

Tip Jar --->

Last edited by cre; 11-18-2012 at 10:59 PM.
Old 11-18-2012, 11:47 PM   #7
lazer371
Stock

http://i1157.photobucket.com/albums/...ps98e999dc.jpg
(sorry I'm having trouble with the photo, click the link please)
Here's a picture of the tire and the edge of the fender(where the two are making contact). the backs only rub when I hit bump or something like that. But either way you can see the rut in the tire that has developed from just going a mile or so. The fronts are just the same. But the rest of the tire is clean in all four cases, the tires are only rubbing on the edge of the fenders, so yeah rolling the fenders might be my solution.

But, like I said, I'm going to buy new tires with less of a sidewall soon anyways, so I think I'll go from there and decide whether or not I'll roll the fenders.

Thanks a bunch guys.

Last edited by lazer371; 11-19-2012 at 12:11 AM.
lazer371 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 12:56 AM   #8
cre

Toyota
Racing
Development

Ok, yeah, a lower profile ire would help but I'd try rolling the lip of the fender under first... Sadly, you'll have to ditch or somehow modify the wheel well liner. Personally, I'd roll the fenders even if I did switch to lower profile tires... A guy on SM trashed two fenders when going down a driveway with the wheels turned... Do all you can to get the most clearance possible there because if something happens to make you regret not doing it, the odds are you'll REALLY regret it.

Tip Jar --->
Old 11-19-2012, 01:41 AM   #9
lazer371
Stock

Alright, I'll definitely roll the fenders down the road then.

Thanks again.
Old 11-19-2012, 01:12 PM   #10
ianstaley
Stock

ianstaley is on a distinguished road
Default My tyres

Mine is dropped 3" from the Toyota dealer using a toyota aftermarket deal. They are 17" and have Goodyear NCT's 225 x 45 x 17 with the correct offset. Shouldn't use another cars wheels unless the pitch is okay and the offset is okay. I have no rub at either maximum wheel turn.