Home / Toyota Supra Forums

Go Back   Toyota Supra Forums! Join the Supra forum! > Performance, Modification, and Maintenance Forums - for generation specific discussions > MKIII Supra

Old 07-06-2012, 01:06 AM   #1
Aero
Stock

Aero is on a distinguished road
Default 7M-GTE Radiator Fan

Hi all,

Long time forum creeper, first time poster.

After months of research and shopping around for the right car, I recently purchased my first Supra. (Finally got my dream car! ) It's a '89 with the 7M-GTE and the R-154. The guy I bought it from didn't seem to know too much about it, or really turbo'd cars in general. But anyway, on to my dilemma:

The car had an electric radiator fan to replace to the primary fan when I got it. The two smaller fans were included, but not hooked up. After I drive the car, it gets really hot in the engine bay, and I have yet to have the fan actually come on while driving that I've noticed. (My temperature gauge in the dash comes up about halfway.) I think the previous owner wired the fan to the aux thermostat, which, from what I've read, doesn't turn on until about +225* F? This seems way too hot for me. There is some crazy wiring going on under the hood anyway, and I think the fan may be pulling my battery down because it dies after a couple days if I don't crank the car and let it idle for a bit (why is there no battery gauge in the dash!? ).

But anyway, I'd really like to go back to a mechanical fan. It just seems so much simpler and reliable, but I don't want to turn this into another "which is better" thread. I've read about the clutch flex fans, but all I can find are the flex-a-lite fans, which are electric. If anybody can help me find somewhere I can purchase a mechanical flex fan, I'd greatly appreciate it. I'm also going to need the clutch for it, and a shroud. If I can't find one, I may just have to go back to a stock fan.

Thanks in advance for all help and advice!
Aero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 04:42 AM   #2
cre

Toyota
Racing
Development

cre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond repute

http://www.summitracing.com/search/B.../?autoview=SKU

http://www.jegs.com/p/Flex-a-lite/Fl...44311/10002/-1

They're pretty easy to find actually. I've posted links to other manufacturers and shops in the past, you might find them if you search the forum but it's nothing special.

As for the fan shroud, Perma Cool, Flex-a-lite and other manufacturers make extensions which will move the fan forward into the proper location for the stock radiator shroud.
If something breaks or you need to contact a member of the administration please post HERE. Unless it's a private or administration matter please post it on the forum. It benefits no one else if car related questions aren't posted for future users and takes away from the time I'm able to spend helping on the rest of the forum.

If you're so inclined I'm always more than happy to accept tips via PayPal.
Tip Jar --->
cre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 03:47 PM   #3
Aero
Stock

I stumbled across some of those yesterday, but I was unsure about them because I'm not sure what fitment I need. I guess I expecting one to be specified for a mk3 Supra. I just measured the fan I currently have on my car and it's 14" diameter and 1.5" wide, but it mounts directly on the radiator since it's electric. Also, I'm pretty sure the radiator that's on there isn't the original, although it may still be OEM, not sure. Will this affect anything?

Also, I'm not sure what clutch to look for either. From what I've heard, a factory fan clutch won't work with these flex fans right? Are the clutches specific to each fan model?

And thanks for your advice about the extensions. I guess the size of the extension I need will vary depending on which fan I decide to go with, but how will I know how close the fan needs to be? I don't have the factory shroud to use as a guide.
Old 07-07-2012, 01:14 AM   #4
cre

Toyota
Racing
Development

cre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond repute

IT's an easy enough equation. You want to measure from the innermost side of the radiator to the mount on the water pump. Now deduct one inch. That's the maximum you can go including both fan, clutch and spacer. Manufacturers and shops should list the dimensions for most of the products online.

As for the fan diameter, you'll need someone to measure and provide you with the diameter of the fan shroud's primary opening at its NARROWEST POINT. The fan shroud is a two piece unit and you should get the measurement with the second lower piece installed. Again deduct one inch and that would be the maximum fan diameter I would use... I might be inclined to go just a little smaller yet.

All in all not too difficult of a project, just need the one measurement from the shroud which you don't yet have and you should be good to go.
If something breaks or you need to contact a member of the administration please post HERE. Unless it's a private or administration matter please post it on the forum. It benefits no one else if car related questions aren't posted for future users and takes away from the time I'm able to spend helping on the rest of the forum.

Tip Jar --->
Old 07-07-2012, 04:54 AM   #5
Sonyps307
Lexus & 550's

Sonyps307 is on a distinguished road

I had one of those flex fans with out a clutch and it was super loud and made a winning sound also felt like it was stealing a lot of power from the motor and cause the belt to slip. so I would use a clutch. I switched to dual electric fans with its own thermo switch set at 200 Plus a 2 row radiator. Also i upgraded my alt to a 140amp to help run the fans. Here is every thing needed to go back to stock not cheap.

Fan
http://store.driftmotion.com/static/...tefanblade.php

Fan clutch
http://store.driftmotion.com/static/i-7mfanclutch.php

Shroud
http://store.driftmotion.com/static/...supra86-92.php
Sonyps307 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 06:30 AM   #6
cre

Toyota
Racing
Development

Yeah, you should never run a mechanical fan without a clutch, factory or otherwise. You're lucky it didn't come through your hood.

Tip Jar --->
Old 07-08-2012, 12:19 AM   #7
Aero
Stock

Yeah, after doing some more research I realized going back to stock is going to be more expensive than I anticipated. If I'm going to spend that much, I guess I might as well get a good quality after market one. Plus I wasn't really too excited about the large fan shroud taking up space...

How do those fan controllers work exactly? Do they measure air temp or coolant temp? Because the sensor that's on my car now for the fan is pressed right up against the radiator so it just measures air temp.

I like the flex-a-lites, again because of the flexing blades, but I also found this one and haven't quite made of my mind yet:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/86-96-TOYOTA...ht_3498wt_1270

Doesn't seem like to bad of a deal since it includes a new aluminum radiator as well. Quality is my only worry there...

I've also seen some Godspeed radiators that seem to be a pretty good deal. Any input on those?
Old 07-08-2012, 12:49 AM   #8
Sonyps307
Lexus & 550's

Sonyps307 is on a distinguished road

This is what I got

http://item.mobileweb.ebay.com/viewi...id=58715271968

This is what I use to control them uses coolant temp. To turn on/off it been 100+ degrees by me and my car is running fine same temp and everything.

http://www.jegs.com/i/JEGS-Performan...rentProductId=
Sonyps307 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 01:45 AM   #9
cre

Toyota
Racing
Development

Fan shroud.... taking up space....?? What else you going to do there anyway? Keep a cooler full of beer?

Going back to stock should be VERY inexpensive if you source a used fan, shroud and clutch (rebuild the clutch yourself for about $30). From the sound of it it'll be cheaper than fixing what you have and will be cheaper than a lightweight, low drag mechanical setup.

The fan needs to be driven based on coolant temp. It should turn on at around 190?F. It needs to be controlled with a relay off of the alternator output too. Do NOT rely on any stock wiring to control the fan or power it! Don't forget to add a proper size fuse to the power supply line as close to the source as possible.

Tip Jar --->
Old 07-08-2012, 03:28 PM   #10
Aero
Stock

I guess "taking up space" was a poor choice of words. I just meant that the factory fan shroud makes it look more cluttered I guess. The electric fans just make it look more cleaned up since they're slimmer and less noticeable. But I'll take reliability over appearance, and it's not like there are going to be that many people looking under my hood anyway.

And a cooler under the hood? How absurd... The ice would never last in those temperatures...

I expected going back to factory to be inexpensive, but after I shopped around for parts for a bit I was wrong. I've been having a hard time locating everything, particularly in decent used condition, but I'm going to keep searching and maybe I'll have more luck.

Also, can anybody tell me what the factory fan size is?