View Single Post
Old 07-06-2012, 01:06 AM   #1
Aero
Stock

Aero is on a distinguished road
Default 7M-GTE Radiator Fan

Hi all,

Long time forum creeper, first time poster.

After months of research and shopping around for the right car, I recently purchased my first Supra. (Finally got my dream car! ) It's a '89 with the 7M-GTE and the R-154. The guy I bought it from didn't seem to know too much about it, or really turbo'd cars in general. But anyway, on to my dilemma:

The car had an electric radiator fan to replace to the primary fan when I got it. The two smaller fans were included, but not hooked up. After I drive the car, it gets really hot in the engine bay, and I have yet to have the fan actually come on while driving that I've noticed. (My temperature gauge in the dash comes up about halfway.) I think the previous owner wired the fan to the aux thermostat, which, from what I've read, doesn't turn on until about +225* F? This seems way too hot for me. There is some crazy wiring going on under the hood anyway, and I think the fan may be pulling my battery down because it dies after a couple days if I don't crank the car and let it idle for a bit (why is there no battery gauge in the dash!? ).

But anyway, I'd really like to go back to a mechanical fan. It just seems so much simpler and reliable, but I don't want to turn this into another "which is better" thread. I've read about the clutch flex fans, but all I can find are the flex-a-lite fans, which are electric. If anybody can help me find somewhere I can purchase a mechanical flex fan, I'd greatly appreciate it. I'm also going to need the clutch for it, and a shroud. If I can't find one, I may just have to go back to a stock fan.

Thanks in advance for all help and advice!
Aero is offline   Reply With Quote