Home / Toyota Supra Forums

Go Back   Toyota Supra Forums! Join the Supra forum! > Performance, Modification, and Maintenance Forums - for generation specific discussions > MKIII Supra

Old 06-25-2012, 05:42 AM   #1
Joefishizzle
3" Exhaust

Joefishizzle is on a distinguished road
Default Crazy brake issue

Okay guys, so I've had this nasty vibration for a while. Changed my carrier bearing, u-joints, brake calipers, pads, ball joints, inner+outer tie rods, tires, alignment. And still.

So let me say this. The vibration comes and goes. I haven't been able to quiet figure out when and how so it happens.

However i have noticed that sometimes the brake pedal has alot more resistance at times. I've flushed the brakes thourouly, all fresh fluid. No leak, at brakes or master.
When the vibration does happen it gets alot more extreme when i brake. And continues until i brake enough or slow down to about 40 or so.

Some one please help me out here. The vibration is felt strongly through the wheel, pedals and front end and the wheel shakes ridiculously. My rotors aren't new, but they aren't warped or getting worn or hot spots by any means.
Joefishizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 08:59 AM   #2
interested!
3" Exhaust

interested! is on a distinguished road
Question crazy brake issue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joefishizzle View Post
Okay guys, so I've had this nasty vibration for a while. Changed my carrier bearing, u-joints, brake calipers, pads, ball joints, inner+outer tie rods, tires, alignment. And still.

So let me say this. The vibration comes and goes. I haven't been able to quiet figure out when and how so it happens.

However i have noticed that sometimes the brake pedal has alot more resistance at times. I've flushed the brakes thourouly, all fresh fluid. No leak, at brakes or master.
When the vibration does happen it gets alot more extreme when i brake. And continues until i brake enough or slow down to about 40 or so.

Some one please help me out here. The vibration is felt strongly through the wheel, pedals and front end and the wheel shakes ridiculously. My rotors aren't new, but they aren't warped or getting worn or hot spots by any means.
Hi! Sounds as though you may have lost a wheel balance weight -this causes wobble at speed , may be a good idea to get them all checked , also check that the INSIDE of the wheel has not distorted .

Last edited by interested!; 06-25-2012 at 09:06 AM. Reason: extra info.
interested! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 12:41 PM   #3
pandrade
12psi boost

pandrade is on a distinguished road

take your wheels to a shop and have them checked for heavy spots, add waights accordingly( could end up being a bent rim) i would also replace the rotors i had alot of vibration at first but i rebuilt the calpiers, new pads and rotors, and tightened the rack and pinion bolts to specs and it went away
Old 06-25-2012, 02:04 PM   #4
Joefishizzle
3" Exhaust

Thanks for the input, I was at the tire shop getting new rims put on yesterday, I had him thoroughly go thru the balancing. I think this has something to do with the booster possibly
Old 06-25-2012, 04:28 PM   #5
cre

Toyota
Racing
Development

cre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond repute

I can't quite tell, does this issue happen only when you've started applying the brakes or does it start lightly while at speed and then just gets worse when the brakes are applied?

I wouldn't replace the rotors but I would start with getting a lathe on them (I feel that doing it on car would be best in this case). You may have unevenly bedded in the friction compound into the surface of the rotor. The only thing that's going to clear that up is shaving them down and PROPERLY bedding them in again.

Is the shudder dead even or does the car pull to one side or the other?
If something breaks or you need to contact a member of the administration please post HERE. Unless it's a private or administration matter please post it on the forum. It benefits no one else if car related questions aren't posted for future users and takes away from the time I'm able to spend helping on the rest of the forum.

If you're so inclined I'm always more than happy to accept tips via PayPal.
Tip Jar --->
cre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 05:06 PM   #6
Joefishizzle
3" Exhaust

No the problem starts during regular driving and will continue without the brakes. However it worsens when the brakes are applied. And it does pull but id say from left to right. Not more so one than the other. I Think the booster is going out so maybe its tightening up the brakes during driving
Old 06-25-2012, 09:56 PM   #7
cre

Toyota
Racing
Development

cre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond repute

No, I'm not inclined to believe that your brake booster is actually pumping the brakes... If it were screwing up to that degree (which would be quite interesting in itself) it wouldn't be pulsing... it'd be constant drag. If it's brake related it's most likely a seized caliper glide and probably in concert with an unevenly bedded friction medium on that rotor. Did the calipers all slide off and on easily? You shouldn't have to wiggle them or pry them off, they should slide easily. Did you lubricate them with an appropriate caliper lube when you reinstalled them? Did you remember to clean out all of the old lubricant?
If something breaks or you need to contact a member of the administration please post HERE. Unless it's a private or administration matter please post it on the forum. It benefits no one else if car related questions aren't posted for future users and takes away from the time I'm able to spend helping on the rest of the forum.

Tip Jar --->
Old 06-25-2012, 10:29 PM   #8
Joefishizzle
3" Exhaust

Yup, synthetic brake grease and brand new rebuilt calipers both sides.
Old 06-26-2012, 06:09 AM   #9
Joefishizzle
3" Exhaust

Here's a few videos of it

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2o7dQbRSZi0&feature=plcp

This one is just of the driving and noise

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p30ofr8NKOQ&feature=plcp

This one is of it slowly starting and braking. Don't mind the talking lol I was sending it to a friend for his input
Old 06-26-2012, 04:07 PM   #10
cre

Toyota
Racing
Development

Seems to me like a shot front wheel bearing... could be a bent spindle.

Tip Jar --->