Home / Toyota Supra Forums

Go Back   Toyota Supra Forums! Join the Supra forum! > Performance, Modification, and Maintenance Forums - for generation specific discussions > MKIII Supra

Old 03-19-2012, 10:45 PM   #1
ebang
3" Exhaust

ebang is on a distinguished road
Exclamation Blown Motor????? Please help!

Ok I was driving my car home last summer, the temp gage went to max...then back to normal but I lost all oil pressure and when I pressed on the gas just smoke was coming out of the back and no power...the car then shut off I pulled over and it smelled like burning oil plus the oil was leaking under the car...I had it towed home.

I opened up the hood and the #1 plug was off...(popped off??)

I removed the other plugs and they were fried except #6.

The car was turning over but making a wierd whining sound. I am now looking into trying to fix it ..

Is it worh it just trying to replace the wires and plugs of is the engine fried?

Help please!.....
Old 03-20-2012, 12:40 AM   #2
cre

Toyota
Racing
Development

cre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond repute

Do a compression test. Check oil and coolant for cross contamination. If either is leaking a significant volume externally locate the leak. I wouldn't spend a cent on parts until some basic diagnostics are performed.

Please elaborate what you mean in stating the the spark plugs were "fried". Damaged from detonation? Ceramic insulation shattered? How did the #1 spark plug just "pop off"? Is this a 7M, 1G, 1JZ? GE or GTE?
If something breaks or you need to contact a member of the administration please post HERE. Unless it's a private or administration matter please post it on the forum. It benefits no one else if car related questions aren't posted for future users and takes away from the time I'm able to spend helping on the rest of the forum.

If you're so inclined I'm always more than happy to accept tips via PayPal.
Tip Jar --->
cre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 02:35 PM   #3
ebang
3" Exhaust

I will have to try to locate a compression test kit. I never done one how easy is it to do?
When I popped tthe hood the spark plug wire was off and the plug itself was loose, I removed by just picking it up.
I have a 87 N/A 5 Speed.

I do not see any oil in the coolant...none in the resoviour and the oil seems ok...whats left of it.
Old 03-20-2012, 03:12 PM   #4
Ranma
12psi boost

Ranma is an unknown quantity at this point

There has to be more to the story, what were you doing? Did you introduce anything "special" to the combustion chambers?
Old 03-20-2012, 04:17 PM   #5
ebang
3" Exhaust

Did nothing different, was just driving home from work like normal.
The olny thing out of the ordinary was a pin hole leak of the coolant from a hose, but I was keeping a close eye and made sure it was topped up every trip to and from work...the drive is 20 minutes and after wards the resoviour was still filled of coolant.
Old 03-20-2012, 07:03 PM   #6
hbski
Stock

hbski is on a distinguished road

just a thought.....i also had a sparkplug boot "pop" off.the reason for my issue was oil in the plug gallery,quite a bit. I was surprised those bolts could leak that much.
hbski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 07:31 PM   #7
Ranma
12psi boost

Ranma is an unknown quantity at this point
Talking nani

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebang View Post
Did nothing different, was just driving home from work like normal.
The olny thing out of the ordinary was a pin hole leak of the coolant from a hose, but I was keeping a close eye and made sure it was topped up every trip to and from work...the drive is 20 minutes and after wards the resoviour was still filled of coolant.
Did the hose pop losing all cooling fluid? Where did all of the oil come from? Have you checked the engine for physical damage? Do you see any signs of an explosion? Really did you add any thing to the petrol?
Old 03-20-2012, 08:05 PM   #8
cre

Toyota
Racing
Development

cre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond repute

More basic info about the nature if the failure is needed before any further diagnosis can be performed. Please read me post again. Additionally, even saturated with oil tension lines don't pop off. The interfacing clip has a strong spring on it and unless it isn't locked into place it isn't going to come off from anything short of a hole opening in the spark plug letting the combustion gases literally blow it off...

EDIT: More often than not the oil in the galley is from leaking valve cover seals. See the MKIII FAQ section for information. When installing new seals DO NOT OVER TORQUE THEM! (That goes for just about every screw on the car... spark plugs too.)
If something breaks or you need to contact a member of the administration please post HERE. Unless it's a private or administration matter please post it on the forum. It benefits no one else if car related questions aren't posted for future users and takes away from the time I'm able to spend helping on the rest of the forum.

If you're so inclined I'm always more than happy to accept tips via PayPal.
Tip Jar --->

Last edited by cre; 03-20-2012 at 08:08 PM.
cre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 01:33 PM   #9
ebang
3" Exhaust

None of the coolant hoses popped off or exploded all were good and coolant was still in the car.
There was oil in the spark plug galley but I had already know about the valve gasket leak. Could this have cause alll of this??

The plastic on the spark plug wires were melted on to the plugs.

I will try to do some more investigation this weekend and try to locate the oil leak...as for any physical ddmage I can't see any.

The car was driving just fine before...no warning lights no strange noises, pressure and temp gages alll good...nothing..
Old 03-21-2012, 05:19 PM   #10
hbski
Stock

hbski is on a distinguished road

In my case,I believe the oil starts to boil and burn giving off gases and smoke, building pressure under the #3 gasket.enough to force the high tension wire to pop out.the oil is boiling enough to coat the open hood. I have not started working on mechanical issues,so this is just what i have observed.not sayin' it's your issue.But cre is absolutely right,as usual check to see if it's going to be worth your effort.
hbski is offline   Reply With Quote