Toyota Supra Forums! Join the Supra forum!

Toyota Supra Forums! Join the Supra forum! (http://www.toyota-supra.info/forums/)
-   MKIII Supra (http://www.toyota-supra.info/forums/mkiii-supra/)
-   -   SO STUMPED! starting problem, help pls.. (http://www.toyota-supra.info/forums/mkiii-supra/20365-so-stumped-starting-problem-help-pls.html)

DawgB0 03-27-2012 04:59 AM

SO STUMPED! starting problem, help pls..

1 Attachment(s)
Aite I brought me 92' turbo wit stick for only $800 already knew it not going to run..
Im tryin to start it front of the yard and say sucker to them that I got it to running condition. But all I keep gettin backfires, smokes sometime white but black mostly time in back of exhaust, and vacuum hoses behind the engine next to the EGR keepin pop apart when crankin engine.

The pix; I was removing the spark plugs and cleaning up the oil all over the place the galley, didn't work out..
I had the wire-sets in correct places, found loose wire to starter from battery n tighten it, had adjusted my timing belt back to correct tooth at TDC and the belt is in new condition. I tired starting fluid, but I keep gets nothing just cranking so I knows the fuel pump works and starter too because I felt the starter bolt was HOT then I tighten it, then starter become hot means it's getting right connection, checked all fuses; all is good.. I had a new battery full charged I used it for my van with no PROBLEM, even I jumped the supra and ALL IS SAME RESULT just rollover until i let go the clutch, yea the CPS is GREAT! wow, I'm stumped.:frown:
if wondering about voltage drops, nope it keep coming back to 12v means ALT is great too!!

interested! 03-27-2012 09:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DawgB0 (Post 101822)
Aite I brought me 92' turbo wit stick for only $800 already knew it not going to run..
Im tryin to start it front of the yard and say sucker to them that I got it to running condition. But all I keep gettin backfires, smokes sometime white but black mostly time in back of exhaust, and vacuum hoses behind the engine next to the EGR keepin pop apart when crankin engine.

The pix; I was removing the spark plugs and cleaning up the oil all over the place the galley, didn't work out..
I had the wire-sets in correct places, found loose wire to starter from battery n tighten it, had adjusted my timing belt back to correct tooth at TDC and the belt is in new condition. I tired starting fluid, but I keep gets nothing just cranking so I knows the fuel pump works and starter too because I felt the starter bolt was HOT then I tighten it, then starter become hot means it's getting right connection, checked all fuses; all is good.. I had a new battery full charged I used it for my van with no PROBLEM, even I jumped the supra and ALL IS SAME RESULT just rollover until i let go the clutch, yea the CPS is GREAT! wow, I'm stumped.:frown:
if wondering about voltage drops, nope it keep coming back to 12v means ALT is great too!!

Hi! If that is a current condition picture , then the coil pack needs to be bolted in place across the cam covers , the coil plate NEEDS TO BE EARTHED !!!! ,if the small wire is broken -make a new one , the coils are open curcuit at the moment so no sparks.The plate is mounted on rubber grommets so there is no direct earth route and that is why the earth wire is SO important .Also, ensure the AFM wiring is connected , this is important too, -left mine off once , fired and stalled , fitted--fired and ran nicely.

DawgB0 03-27-2012 05:14 PM

Stupid question do i must have air fliter to make it run or unnessecery just keep dirt out of engine am i correct? Thanks in advance.:bigthumb:

cre 03-27-2012 05:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DawgB0 (Post 101694)
im mechanic myself

Was this just a bad joke? :outahere:

Yes, the air filter keeps dirt out... It's not a sensor or anything. Put a sock or a piece of woman's stockings over it for now. Doing both will work even better. Make sure they're very securely tied/rubber banded on. Don't cut them too small so that if they happen to come loose they won't make it past the throttle body. I strongly advise against driving it with anything other than a real air filter though.

DawgB0 03-27-2012 05:57 PM

No, im exactly a student auto mechanic rite now, jus i have strong experience with mechanicals. Just learning electical system right now thats why im not smart with this part just yet. I has done muti swaps with no plm, rebuilt 2 engine with great result, replace all fliters, wires, spark plugs; basic tune ups.. everybody, sorry grammer aint my strong skill. Jus be patient wit me unless im nt makin nonsense lik others:frown:

DawgB0 03-27-2012 06:51 PM

Yeedaimean, i got it runnin now only at idle, lol.. idk wat i did bt what i did was bring back a full charged battery and replaced the vacuum i got 2 of dem wrong and got it correctly now it dont even smoke anymore just backfire few times but it idles now after o pull spark plug nbr 1 n check if have sparks it does, but plugs is terrible and planning to get me new one in any mins so what else i should lookin at?

DawgB0 03-27-2012 11:26 PM

When i come back, fml alarm went off so figured out how to turn it off driver side broken key wont fit btw, i found code 12 repeating so i guess its only 1 code i have so what am i suppose do remove it? I did serach bt nt exactly wat im lookin for. And starter is hot! Like overheated

DawgB0 03-30-2012 02:14 AM

I needs help i already reseach n everything n it keeep give me surface answers, i dont underrstand why it wl only crank all day.. pls help me out i havent make it run again only cranking thats it but it does try to start up bt something keep miss out :rant: and sometime it will battery will die but come back up means alt workin and it cranks means starter workin but wtf wit ignition system i have fuel pump n all relays working.

btwilson86 03-30-2012 03:24 AM

Have you verified the cps is installed correctly? That can cause it to crank all day, can sometimes get a sputter every now and then too

DawgB0 03-30-2012 04:19 AM

i has done that and wiggle it around and nothing. im uploading my pixs yall can c clear whats hell im goin through :roflwtf:

DawgB0 03-30-2012 06:01 AM

check it out and tell me what you see missing, think need to be repaired.. i has done timing belt to TDC due to the cam was off by 1 or 2 tooth and cam wasnt even at TDC so its done about to put the cover back on. WTF wit ignition system :frown: idk wat da hell in their mind thinkin its fixable lik dat :rant2: and that inculde starting system too, i just dont get it so thats y i uploaded pixs so you undy what im goin through, THANKS in ADV!!

DawgB0 03-30-2012 03:14 PM

:crazy: finna goin CRAZY!! haha any1 pls help me out by look at my rigged supra in my album.

btwilson86 03-30-2012 06:25 PM

Thanks for posting the pics, but there's very little that can be done to help diagnose from looking at pictures.

Let's take a step back and establish what's been done so far. I believe you said earlier that you have fuel; what steps did you take to verify that the engine is getting fuel?

Have you checked to make sure there are no obstructions anywhere in the intake that would hinder the engine from getting enough air?

Are all of the sensors plugged in?

In the fuse box, is the 15 amp EFI fuse making a good contact?

Have you messed with the ECU, and if so is it properly mounted and plugged in?

DawgB0 03-31-2012 03:03 PM

I jumped b+ n fp my friend hear the pump, i smells the gas when i cranks it few time so yea
Now i suspect i miswired the ignition coil so give me pix or which wires im suppose to connecting, due no sparks now.
I has replaced new fuses unnessecery but yea why not.
I has reconnected the vacuum correctly way.
Did check all sensor.
Got me new battery.
New 3 gallons of gas.
Starter system im leave it alone since it will crank everytime so focus at ignition coil wires here.. i mite misconnectes one of dem tjen sld able to get spark after i found a pix or sum1 tell me wat color the wires suppose be connecting thanks. Then it sld be my final question.

http://www.toyota-supra.info/forums/...icture1476.jpg

btwilson86 04-01-2012 03:28 AM

I have a friend with a 7MGTE waiting to swap into his Supra, I'll see if I can get out to his place sometime soon and check out the coil pack wiring for you. When you mounted the coil packs, did you attach the grounds coming off of them too?

DawgB0 04-02-2012 04:05 AM

Of course i made sure everything is well connected and earthed and yea they all are, i already tested all voltages n keep getting 12v means its connecting but no spark or i reLly does but wrong wire!! :rant: that y i need help by give me closer pix of the wires or just tell me off of any turbo mk3 jus lik my pix above

btwilson86 04-02-2012 04:21 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Ok, here are the pics I could get. Coil pack connector,individual coil connector, and the coil pack ground. I just realized that the first pic is probably useless since I don't have one of the wiring harness side, so hopefully someone else can post a pic of that one

DawgB0 04-02-2012 06:34 AM

Look lik not turbo to me i dont see 3 connectors to 3 coils if it was it then almost, what color goes to another? Lik
green to ...
Black to ...
White to ...
3 tans to ...

That kind answers im looking for thank in Adv!

DawgB0 04-02-2012 08:40 AM

I keep gettin flashs non stop means no codes.. just stupid wires, Any1 wit gte?

interested! 04-02-2012 09:26 AM

stumpted!

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by btwilson86 (Post 101964)
I have a friend with a 7MGTE waiting to swap into his Supra, I'll see if I can get out to his place sometime soon and check out the coil pack wiring for you. When you mounted the coil packs, did you attach the grounds coming off of them too?

Hi! this is a picture of my coil pack earthed ( grounded ) out , is yours the same? -very important - no sparks without .My car is a '89 7mgte. MA70. Also-check that all of the earth ( ground ) wires are connected UNDERNEATH the inlet manifold , you'll need a good mirror to see them -theres loads of them .

interested! 04-02-2012 11:31 AM

stumped

Quote:

Originally Posted by btwilson86 (Post 101995)
Ok, here are the pics I could get. Coil pack connector,individual coil connector, and the coil pack ground. I just realized that the first pic is probably useless since I don't have one of the wiring harness side, so hopefully someone else can post a pic of that one

Hi! -Had a close look at your ground wire , seems a bit loose, so could you be suffering bad starting? . Also, the ground from the plate should be connected to the cylinder head as the cam cover is mostly insulated ( sits on a rubber gasket and held down with rubber washered bolts ) .
May I suggest that a bulb and wire or a multi-meter be used to confirm continuity of the wire and the curcuit or plate is fully earthed .

btwilson86 04-02-2012 01:11 PM

Interested- the upper intake is currently removed on that engine as we are in the process of swapping a usdm wiring harness on it, so that's why nothing is really connected atm.

Dawg- its from a turbo, why would i take the time out of my day to send you pics of a N/A? Like I said above, I don't have a pic of the harness side of that connector so I can't tell you what wires connect to what. There are hundreds of people on here who actually own 7mgte Supra's (the one i took the pics from isnt mine), one of them will have to help you.

interested! 04-02-2012 01:53 PM

stumped

Hi! -thanks for your feedback , just trying to assist , my car wouldn't start after overhauling following a BHG , so I know how frustrating a non-starter is , got it going eventually after finding my ground wires were not re-connected underneath the intake manifold and , the grounding wire was very corroded and only connected by 3 strands at the coil plate , thats why I made a new one .

DawgB0 04-02-2012 04:51 PM

Yea your right i didnt noticed it until later last night but already so late i had to grab sleeps lol was lazy edit mine ,but you are right its turbo now i got it correctly..

Blue/redto black
Blue/yellow to white
Yellow to green
3 tan wires to black n orange
jus made me 2 ground wires jus in case lol

DawgB0 04-03-2012 07:08 AM

Yep it must be correct but wtf same result :frown: i might.have a professional do it for.me as i give up on it. Wtf with no spark? :rant: i have gas, air, no spark..

DawgB0 04-03-2012 06:57 PM

Huh wtf now it jus crank few time then die even have battery jumpstart.. i had instal new wires for cam sensor n followed it correctly 1-2-3-4 to blue, red, black, yellow. Then huh y i dont even see engine lighy on its still off but just crank ok?

DawgB0 04-10-2012 10:22 PM

i had a experienced mechanic check it out within 20 mins he told me the ecu need to be replaced i looked at it, smelt small burn, n i cleaned it then try again then engine just cranks. Starter too it needed to be replaced i has tested it its great no voltage drop. i hope its not ECU cuz its already so hard to find a +89 turbo m/t ecu in bayarea foreal. wld be nice if have any1 who have supra n a mechanic too that live near me come through and help me out would be awesome, thanks.:x:

DawgB0 05-04-2012 06:08 AM

Nothing so far only cranks, i have all 4 wires grounded to intake mod. Have set tine to 0 and cps keep bein out of tooth maybe its broke? How am i suppose to know of im exactly TDC anf i already changed oil wow 1 years parkin turned out got 2 gallons ouy smellin lik gas! I have home battery charger so i know battery alwayz full 13.4. Already took starter out and have 2 starters n ECU workin perfect.. huh wat hell? Im so pissed i dunt get to drive it so far smh i have so much faith.

DawgB0 05-04-2012 10:36 PM

lmk if im off base or right base?? tks.

btwilson86 05-05-2012 01:40 AM

This should help with the timing:

http://www.toyota-supra.info/forums/...-e-timing.html

Let us know what happens after you are 100% sure it's set properly, then we can progress forward with things to check

DawgB0 05-05-2012 08:45 PM

im 100% on track.. all my parts is working as well cuz all od them got hot as i keep crankin it.. it keep tryin to engage but something keep it back to cranking but click to start everytime it get to TDC so im stumped.. harass i can tell it will need to be replaced soon bt not nessecery

DawgB0 05-05-2012 09:14 PM

1 Attachment(s)
help me out here i think im wrong wit the wires..

3 tans to orange/blk
white to yellow
green to blue/yellow
blk to blue/red

my gut says im wrong abt it.

DawgB0 05-06-2012 04:47 PM

i switched redblue to blk n green t0 blueyellow it keep fire then crank then fire then crank WTF is that??

DawgB0 05-06-2012 07:38 PM

it idles finally but will die soon as i let go the gas even i dont have vaccum leak???

DawgB0 05-07-2012 02:28 AM

yall think my crankshaft is 180 out?? another day i tried 180 the crankshft it wont try to fire up til i 180 it back where it was, it fires.. everybody pls help me out im jus a problem away from able drive it

btwilson86 05-07-2012 03:48 AM

180 out? It is not possible to be 180 out if you set your timing per that link I posted above. As I said earlier when I posted that link, verify your timing is right, then we can move on from there.

And why are you switching wires around? That is nearly a sure-fire way to fry your electronics. Do a Google search, find wiring diagrams. Connect the wires properly, and stop guessing before you kill your Supra.

DawgB0 05-07-2012 05:31 AM

aight then i have timing perfect, have all sparks, have fuels cuz the smell is too damn strong, and it really firing up after i replaced new copper plugs from ngk. oh yeah and for cps somewhere i found wiring for cps is red to green, blue to red, yellow to yellow(only match color), n blk to white, but im leave the wiring all ALONE!!

while on the TSDM or sumthing it says red to red, green to blue, blk to yellow, n yellow to white?

btwilson86 05-07-2012 01:08 PM

Alright, I'll see if I can verify that wiring is correct.

btwilson86 05-07-2012 01:23 PM

Well, I've read that the wiring colors are different between pre89 and 89+ CPS connectors. From what I read, how you have it wired right now is for pre89. I haven't yet found the correct wiring for 89+ CPS. Your first post says this is a 92 Supra turbo, can you tell me what color plugs your wiring harness has at the ignitor? That will tell us if you have a pre89 harness or 89+ (it's possible it was changed at some point, which could make wiring hell for this car)

btwilson86 05-07-2012 07:33 PM

After much research (you're welcome) I have concluded that on a 92 Supra Turbo, you're wiring is correct:

Blue - Red
Red - Green
Yellow - Yellow
Black - White

I gathered this info from a couple of websites, but I would appreciate it if anyone with a post 89 Supra can verify that is how their wiring is connected.

So if your wiring is correct, and your mechanical timing is set, and your CPS is installed as described in the link above, have someone crank the car as you slowly turn the CPS. If you get it to fire, try to keep it running with some adjustments at the CPS. If that works and it runs at idle, let it warm up and set the ignition timing as described in the MKIII FAQ