Home / Toyota Supra Forums

Go Back   Toyota Supra Forums! Join the Supra forum! > Performance, Modification, and Maintenance Forums - for generation specific discussions > MKIII Supra

Old 03-23-2012, 12:57 AM   #1
icey756
3" Exhaust

icey756 is on a distinguished road
Default Non-ABS Proportioning Valve

If anyone can tell me what kind of proportioning valve to use to get rid of my abs in my turbo 88 supra that would be great. I cant seem to find what i need. Im not even sure if i can just use whatever valve i want as long as its not abs
Old 03-23-2012, 12:30 PM   #2
pandrade
12psi boost

pandrade is on a distinguished road

Iv been told by older racers that on the track that you can get better breaking by using threshold breaking instead of a factory abs but why would you like to get rid of it for. I like being able to slam the breaks in an emergency and not worry about them locking up. Is this gona be a track car because other than that I can't see why you'd want to get rid of abs
pandrade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 04:05 PM   #3
icey756
3" Exhaust

im making room in the engine bay and would also like to get rid of the clutter. my engine is out right now so i can remove all the lines that are connected to the firewall with ease. Yeah abs is nice but all of our parents and grandparents got along fine when they had their first cars and didnt have abs.
Old 03-24-2012, 07:33 PM   #4
icey756
3" Exhaust

still looking for an answer
Old 03-25-2012, 08:45 PM   #5
cre

Toyota
Racing
Development

cre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond repute

Just pull/order the components from a non-ABS MKIII... it'll be easier, should you need it, to repair in the future. Otherwise get an adjustable proportioning valve and tune it for the proper bias.

I agree that it's a crap idea. I've known only one person who tried this in the past because: dedicated DRIFTO! mobile. Tossing out the quicker stopping times and greatly improved breaking ability on low traction surfaces is a waste. Yes, my grandfather got by without it as well, but the minute it came out he couldn't bad mouth non-ABS vehicles enough... I'd never hear the end of it when he got in one of my old cars with me. The argument that just because prehistoric man hunted with sharpened sticks so should we is pretty ass backward. Smoke signals < telephone < pager < email < cell phone I can see no way in which going backward in this timeline is BETTER either. Hell the thing people like to bitch about the most, emissions controls, has advanced to the point that they all offer significant benefits now: better mileage, gas actually stays in your fuel tank versus evaporating out through the gas cap, PCV helps prevent oil contamination and caustic elements from attacking the bottom end, EGR give us greatly reduced cylinder temps raising the ceiling on just how much we can wring out of the engine.... and so on.

So, to anyone who's "one of those" on here... fine, your car, your dollar and your life.. I don't want anyone preaching it like gospel (I know you're not Icey... Just trying to stay ahead of the flood of this stuff which tends to come this time of year, every year).
If something breaks or you need to contact a member of the administration please post HERE. Unless it's a private or administration matter please post it on the forum. It benefits no one else if car related questions aren't posted for future users and takes away from the time I'm able to spend helping on the rest of the forum.

If you're so inclined I'm always more than happy to accept tips via PayPal.
Tip Jar --->
cre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 09:13 PM   #6
icey756
3" Exhaust

ok well thanks for honesty. Its better than someone just saying its a bad idea and thats it. ill have to call around to some junk yards or something i guess.
Old 03-26-2012, 01:08 AM   #7
pandrade
12psi boost

speaking of abs did the mk4 come whith a 4 chanel abs or 3 just like the mk3 and if so has anyone ever tried puting a 4 chanel into a mk3 sucesfuly. sorry for not responding iv been in ecuador and the internet not so good in my good ol 3rd world country
Old 03-26-2012, 03:52 AM   #8
cre

Toyota
Racing
Development

cre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond repute

Anytime Icey! I LOVE giving my opinion.

I wouldn't be surprised if the MKIV either started with 3 channel and later models came with 4 channel or has 4 channel from the start. IF I recall correctly, the MR-2 had 3 channel until '95 or so and then graduated to 4 channel. You might ask Phil in the MKIV section, check out the FAQ there first.
If something breaks or you need to contact a member of the administration please post HERE. Unless it's a private or administration matter please post it on the forum. It benefits no one else if car related questions aren't posted for future users and takes away from the time I'm able to spend helping on the rest of the forum.

If you're so inclined I'm always more than happy to accept tips via PayPal.
Tip Jar --->
cre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 11:46 AM   #9
pandrade
12psi boost

ok ill check the mk4 faq's if not there ill try to ask phil
Old 04-12-2012, 06:08 PM   #10
pwpanas
Supra Owner

pwpanas is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandrade View Post
speaking of abs did the mk4 come whith a 4 chanel abs or 3 just like the mk3 and if so has anyone ever tried puting a 4 chanel into a mk3 sucesfuly. sorry for not responding iv been in ecuador and the internet not so good in my good ol 3rd world country
The MK4 TT definitely started with 4-channel ABS since '93.5 (i.e. its first model year).

You may these references interesting/useful:
http://www.mkiv.com/specifications/ncf/ncf93/
http://www.mkiv.com/specifications/ncf/ncf93/ncf171.jpg
http://www.mkiv.com/specifications/ncf/ncf97/
http://www.mkiv.com/specifications/ncf/ncf97/ncf030.jpg

NB: Please consider posting any help requests in a new thread instead of asking me for help privately. About 99.9+% of the time, private help requests end up covering great information that could be very valuable to other forum members. If you have a good reason for needing the help request to be private, I'll consider it. If not, then why not give everyone else the opportunity to pitch in too, and/or learn from the information? Remember, there's no such thing as a dumb question. We're all here to help within this family of Supra owners.

Last edited by pwpanas; 04-12-2012 at 06:14 PM.
pwpanas is offline   Reply With Quote