Home / Toyota Supra Forums

Go Back   Toyota Supra Forums! Join the Supra forum! > Performance, Modification, and Maintenance Forums - for generation specific discussions > MKIII Supra

Old 03-16-2012, 11:27 PM   #1
2fast4u
3" Exhaust

2fast4u is on a distinguished road
Default Mk3 supra leaking oil

Hello iam new here guys but I just did a head gasket change and I start the car an it leaks/drips oil from passenger side of motor I thought It was from the dipstick but it wasn't it. Just wondering what has oil that will make it leak from the passenger side of the motor
Old 03-17-2012, 12:33 AM   #2
2fast4u
3" Exhaust

Default mk3

its leaking from the oil pan gasket and the screws were lose but any ways if i wanted to change the oil pan gasket how would i becuase theres the subframe and this calls for removing of suspension and the subframe is there a way to not remove the subframe please help im only 16
Old 03-17-2012, 02:41 AM   #3
Sonyps307
Lexus & 550's

Sonyps307 is on a distinguished road

Drop subframe or lifted motor 4-8". U should replace the oil pump while it's off.
Sonyps307 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 02:56 AM   #4
2fast4u
3" Exhaust

The oil onley leaks when the car is running and I checked the oil pan the bolts were loose so I tightens them but it still leaks only when cars running it onley drips small little drips and drips when the car shuts off right after I turn the car off but drips for like 5 minutes than stops can this still be oil pan gasket
Old 03-17-2012, 03:11 AM   #5
Sonyps307
Lexus & 550's

Sonyps307 is on a distinguished road

Is it turbo or non turbo
Sonyps307 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 06:19 AM   #6
cre

Toyota
Racing
Development

cre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond repute

He/she's got a 7M-GTE.

2slow, do yourself a favor and put all of your specs in your sig. It'll make it easier for others to help you if they don't have to ask for the basic info.

And I really hope you didn't use a gasket on the pan. Toyota specifies that only FIPG is to be used and for good reason. I have no idea why gasket makers insist on including a pan gasket, they're not spec and they ALWAYS leak.
If something breaks or you need to contact a member of the administration please post HERE. Unless it's a private or administration matter please post it on the forum. It benefits no one else if car related questions aren't posted for future users and takes away from the time I'm able to spend helping on the rest of the forum.

If you're so inclined I'm always more than happy to accept tips via PayPal.
Tip Jar --->
cre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 01:57 PM   #7
2fast4u
3" Exhaust

Default Mk3

It's leaking I beloved from the oil pan gasket but only when the car is running if it's from the oil pan gasket shouldn't it leak oil without the car running my car is a 7mgte turbo manual transmission please help me out and what is figp thanks to everyone for helping me I hope iam not annoying
Old 03-17-2012, 07:51 PM   #8
cre

Toyota
Racing
Development

cre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond repute

Grammar man, grammar. It doesn't do you much good to act ignorant and thus make it more difficult for us to understand and help you. I assume you're still in school, take advantage of it and learn how to present a significantly stronger image than most of your generation seem capable of.... Don't worry though, you're far from the worst we've had here.

The oil pan shouldn't leaking just from the engine running. Even at high idle the oil level doesn't really exceed the height of the pan unless it's over filled. You really shouldn't see a drip unless the car has been moving. The loose screws would definitely contribute, but do NOT over torque them! That is a terrible place to have to extract a broken bolt from while the engine is in the vehicle. Torque should be 9ft/lbs. Torque from the inside outward in a star patter like you do with the head bolts. FIPG needs to be applied to the flange surface on the edge inside of the bolt holes.

FIPG = Form In Place Gasket. Typically it is a tin cure RTV silicone sealant. RTV = Room Temperature Vulcanizing; As opposed to elastic materials requiring heating during mixing and application or tin cure (two part) sealants. I suggest you use Toyota, Honda or Permatex "Right Stuff"where a strong seal is required.

Annoying? Heh, maybe a little but we've all been there. A LONG time ago for some of us.

I'm writing this on a tablet and touch screens suck. I'll post anything else I think of later when I'm at a computer.

EDIT: If you haven't had the oil pan off yourself and don't know how it was sealed I would use a feeler, a flashlight and a mirror to determine if a cork gasket was installed. If there was I would pull the pan, clean everything VERY thoroughly and seal it properly. If there is a cork gasket you want to take the easy (unreliable) route you may try torquing to about 12ft/lbs and use a medium strength thread locker (the blue stuff).

Also, check the turbo's oil lines and flanges for leaks.
If something breaks or you need to contact a member of the administration please post HERE. Unless it's a private or administration matter please post it on the forum. It benefits no one else if car related questions aren't posted for future users and takes away from the time I'm able to spend helping on the rest of the forum.

If you're so inclined I'm always more than happy to accept tips via PayPal.
Tip Jar --->

Last edited by cre; 03-17-2012 at 08:14 PM.
cre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 11:01 PM   #9
2fast4u
3" Exhaust

Default Mk3

Thanks for the reply, I looked all over this morning and it looks like its leaking from above and dripping on the oil pan. What other parts to the engine have oil on the passenger side of the motor. Iam extremely confused because I touch turbo oil pipes and it's no wet with oil. Could the turbocharger stay do something with this leak because I didn't have it on? Iam talking about the turbocharger stay that bolts below the turbo so underneath the turbo than on the turbo. I took off the turbo almost but can't see leaks. Please help. If anybody lives close I'll pay them to help me out. Thanks
Old 03-18-2012, 12:36 AM   #10
Ranma
12psi boost

Ranma is an unknown quantity at this point

Leaking from above could means lots of things. My question is did you change the Head gasket yourself and was it brought down to the head shop for a checkout? My guy had a leak that the dealer mechanic could not find, it came from a crack in the head.