Home / Toyota Supra Forums

Go Back   Toyota Supra Forums! Join the Supra forum! > Performance, Modification, and Maintenance Forums - for generation specific discussions > MKIII Supra

Old 02-17-2012, 09:01 PM   #1
88A3507
Stock

88A3507 is on a distinguished road
Default BHG rebuild plan

Hello, I have an 88 Supra Turbo with around 139k miles on it. I have performed compression and leak tests with a new mechanic who claims to have experience rebuilding the 7M-GTE.

I recieved a quote to perform the following tasks and I would like to make sure nothing major is being overlooked. I am doing the rebuild next weekend and I want to have a really good game plan.

Cyl. Head Gasket
Intake Manifold Gasket
Coolant Flush/Fill (toyota coolant)
Timing belt tension (Im not sure if this means they will replace it or just tone it)
Water pump replacement
cramshaft seal(really?)
crankshaft seal
valve cover gasket
any neccessary machine work

1500$

Doesn't seem way out of the ballpark on pricing, but I don't know the labor time associated with these parts.

Also, I would like to know if there is anything else troublesome that should be noted on this top end rebuild so I can do it now while the motor is cracked open.

Thanks
88A3507 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 09:13 PM   #2
Ranma
12psi boost

Ranma is an unknown quantity at this point
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by 88A3507 View Post
Hello, I have an 88 Supra Turbo with around 139k miles on it. I have performed compression and leak tests with a new mechanic who claims to have experience rebuilding the 7M-GTE.

I recieved a quote to perform the following tasks and I would like to make sure nothing major is being overlooked. I am doing the rebuild next weekend and I want to have a really good game plan.

Cyl. Head Gasket
Intake Manifold Gasket
Coolant Flush/Fill (toyota coolant)
Timing belt tension (Im not sure if this means they will replace it or just tone it)
Water pump replacement
cramshaft seal(really?)
crankshaft seal
valve cover gasket
any neccessary machine work

1500$

Doesn't seem way out of the ballpark on pricing, but I don't know the labor time associated with these parts.

Also, I would like to know if there is anything else troublesome that should be noted on this top end rebuild so I can do it now while the motor is cracked open.

Thanks
It seems to be the right price, be sure that the head is sent off to the shop for the whole nine yards. Lets see, cleaning, checking the surface, pressure check, servicing of the valves. dollar for dollar it is the best investment you can make.

I had to have a rebuilt head put on mine. The kid who had it before me cracked it during his "sport". Even though my guy is only about 200 HP, he drives well and is fast enough.
Old 02-17-2012, 10:42 PM   #3
cre

Toyota
Racing
Development

cre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond repute

Get the timing belt and timing belt tensioner replaced while it's apart. No point in spending a few hundred dollars to have it opened up again in a year or two. They should also carefully inspect the timing belt crankshaft pulley; If the retainers have ANY play it should be replaced. The original pulley's retainers were just staked in place and they have a tenancy to come free over time; The revised version has them spot welded on. If the retainer has play but doesn't move much it should be safe to spot weld it in place, just don't add any material.

Valve stem oil seals!

Labor costs vary wildly from one market to the next. What was charged at places I've worked varied a good deal with shops just on the other side of town. It sounds 'fair' to me if he's replacing the timing belt and tensioner, Valve stem seals shouldn't cost more than $100 with the head already out, but as I said, it depends on the market. If I were to pay someone else to do it, I expect it would run $75 to $100 +the seals. The seals aren't very expensive if you don't buy Toyota's and you may find them cheaper if you look for valve stem seals for the 3S, 5S, 2VZ or 4A series engines; They all share the same part number but a lot of dealers charge more or less depending on the model . An acquaintance just paid about $70 for installation when getting his 7M's head shaved a couple months ago, I gave him a set of seals I had lying around... Sorry, I don't have any more.

I could think of a dozen things to add to the list, a hundred if they're going to pull the engine; It's easy to turn these projects into a full rebuild.
If something breaks or you need to contact a member of the administration please post HERE. Unless it's a private or administration matter please post it on the forum. It benefits no one else if car related questions aren't posted for future users and takes away from the time I'm able to spend helping on the rest of the forum.

If you're so inclined I'm always more than happy to accept tips via PayPal.
Tip Jar --->
cre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 11:17 PM   #4
907mge
20psi boost

907mge is on a distinguished road

If you buy the felpro kit it will come with valve seals and the majority of the gaskets needed. That's what did, but got lucky and got the whole kit unopened from someone who didn't use it for 75. There were only a few I had to get from toyota. I would also recommend replacing all the coolant hoses that are easier to get to with the manifolds off. Like cre said there are many other things to do like having the injectors sent out for cleaning and checking your valve shims for proper clearances but if you are not doing it yourself I guess it comes down to how much you want to spend.
907mge is offline   Reply With Quote