Home / Toyota Supra Forums

Go Back   Toyota Supra Forums! Join the Supra forum! > Performance, Modification, and Maintenance Forums - for generation specific discussions > MKIII Supra

Old 02-14-2012, 04:33 PM   #1
AznSensation
Stock

AznSensation is on a distinguished road
Default Spark plug upgrade

I was online looking up cheap ways to improve fuel economy and proformance. I came across a new kind of spark plugs by pulsar called pulse plugs. Wud it be a good idea to throw those on a 1988 supra with a 7m turbo engine?
AznSensation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 11:17 PM   #2
87hilux7mge
walbro fp

87hilux7mge is on a distinguished road

ive seen these around. theres always a new type of "hype" plug coming out. E3, Platinum Fusion 4+, iridium, etc. etc....

as far as ive seen, if you dont mind changing them every oil change (PITA on a 7m.) NGK coppers will give you the best spark. the stock plugs work well and last about 15-20k miles if you drive nice. if youre spirited, knock it down to every other oil change. alot of ppl ive read posts from like the NGK platinums, cuz they last longer.

personally, i wouldnt waste money on them, but ive also tried E3's and 4+'s on a couple different applications, and i was pretty upset with a few turns. my camaro wouldnt even run with the 4+'s and my dads 98 taco ran like hell for the couple hours i had some in it. i tried the E3's in my altima, TPI firebird my pickup and my freinds 98 eclipse. all got waaay worse mileage and didnt run significantly different.

if you try them, post up your findings with some controlled tests (one tank, long trip, steady driving. then change plugs and do the same. also do a couple zero to 60 before and afters.) that will tell you and us the most about them and give a more accurate analysis.

beyond that, my opinion is neh. not worth the 8-10 bux a pop.
Old 02-15-2012, 01:11 AM   #3
cre

Toyota
Racing
Development

cre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond repute

I'm in agreement. I generally run platinums as I do prefer the flexibility to change them just every few oil changes... they're what the car's came with and they're cheap enough.

I'm not a fan of double platinum and so forth.... it's just a waste. I've never seen any that double platinums last any longer than regular and while iridiums may last longer it's still a good idea to remove them every couple oil changes to read for signs of engine problems.

The newest boutique spark plugs, wires and oil additives, etc. aren't going to net any significant power increase in a HEALTHY, even moderately built engine; There is also a lot of conjecture that certain designs may actually cause problems as it alters the dynamics of the flame front and heat profile within the fuel charge. Generally, I feel that if you swap in spark plugs (which look more like the contents of the new post-modern, mixed media exhibit at the art museum) and you believe you're getting significant improvement then it's more likely that you've just covered up another problem/deficit (such as a weak igniter, coils or corroded grounds).
If something breaks or you need to contact a member of the administration please post HERE. Unless it's a private or administration matter please post it on the forum. It benefits no one else if car related questions aren't posted for future users and takes away from the time I'm able to spend helping on the rest of the forum.

If you're so inclined I'm always more than happy to accept tips via PayPal.
Tip Jar --->
cre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 03:54 AM   #4
AznSensation
Stock

AznSensation is on a distinguished road

Thanks for ur in put guys. The car needs new plugs no doubt. I have no problem a couple extra dollars for sopposively "better plugs". I want to try them but at the same time i dont want to mess up any thing else in the car. If i do buy them ill get a set of ngk plats just to see if there is a difference. Ill get back to u guys with results hopefully soon.
AznSensation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 04:49 AM   #5
cre

Toyota
Racing
Development

cre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond repute

Save the extra money for other maintenance items or known upgrades.... replace some suspension bushings, valve cover seals, new plug wires... put it toward new shocks or a good boost controller.
If something breaks or you need to contact a member of the administration please post HERE. Unless it's a private or administration matter please post it on the forum. It benefits no one else if car related questions aren't posted for future users and takes away from the time I'm able to spend helping on the rest of the forum.

If you're so inclined I'm always more than happy to accept tips via PayPal.
Tip Jar --->
cre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 08:32 PM   #6
87hilux7mge
walbro fp

87hilux7mge is on a distinguished road

[quote]Save the extra money for other maintenance items or known upgrades.... replace some suspension bushings, valve cover seals, new plug wires... put it toward new shocks or a good boost controller.[quote]

good idea here.