Home / Toyota Supra Forums

Go Back   Toyota Supra Forums! Join the Supra forum! > Performance, Modification, and Maintenance Forums - for generation specific discussions > MKIII Supra

Old 11-24-2010, 09:03 PM   #1
bassboy3313
Stock

bassboy3313 is on a distinguished road
Default spark plug valley colver bolts

hey. i was looking at the big 14mm bolts that hold on the spark plug valley cover and the bolt furthest to the back of the engine has a little threaded hole in the middle of it with oil trickling out every once in awhile. is it supposed to have this threaded hole? oil is coming out of it and leaking down the rear of the engine. i figure i could just get a bolt with the same thread and plug it. what do you think?
bassboy3313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2010, 09:44 PM   #2
cre

Toyota
Racing
Development

cre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond repute

It's used to mount a throttle cable support is certain engine configurations... LHS vs RHD, IIRC.
If something breaks or you need to contact a member of the administration please post HERE. Unless it's a private or administration matter please post it on the forum. It benefits no one else if car related questions aren't posted for future users and takes away from the time I'm able to spend helping on the rest of the forum.

If you're so inclined I'm always more than happy to accept tips via PayPal.
Tip Jar --->
cre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2010, 10:38 AM   #3
bioskyline
3" Exhaust

bioskyline is on a distinguished road

on the non turbo motor a hose clamp bracket is attaced to that, so yes you can plug it
Old 11-26-2010, 06:52 PM   #4
cre

Toyota
Racing
Development

cre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by bioskyline View Post
on the non turbo motor a hose clamp bracket is attaced to that, so yes you can plug it
Not on all models.... At least not in US market N/A MKIIIs nor have I seen it used on any turbo models here. If any US models make use of it then it would be automatic transmission specific. There should be no need to plug it as it's nowhere near drilled all the way through... it may be plugged if needed though.
If something breaks or you need to contact a member of the administration please post HERE. Unless it's a private or administration matter please post it on the forum. It benefits no one else if car related questions aren't posted for future users and takes away from the time I'm able to spend helping on the rest of the forum.

Tip Jar --->
Old 11-26-2010, 09:24 PM   #5
bioskyline
3" Exhaust

bioskyline is on a distinguished road

maybe its a canadian thing then?, this head is off my 87 na 5spd.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
Old 11-26-2010, 09:55 PM   #6
bassboy3313
Stock

bassboy3313 is on a distinguished road

i matched up a bolt and plugged it for now. we'll see what happens.
bassboy3313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2010, 09:59 PM   #7
cre

Toyota
Racing
Development

Ahh, a support for the heater hose! Never seen one of those.

FOUND IT! 87263-14170 it's an 89+ in the USDM parts catalog. Same location is also reportedly used for one configuration of throttle cable bracket but I don't recall ever seeing a photo. Regardless, the hold shouldn't go all the way though but you're free to plug it if need be.

Tip Jar --->
Old 11-26-2010, 10:52 PM   #8
Bill UK
AEM EMS

Bill UK is on a distinguished road

All UK right-hand drive supras have them, item 87263. Left-hand drive shown in Link
Bill UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 12:55 AM   #9
cre

Toyota
Racing
Development

Thanks Bill! It makes sense that they'd want the extra assurance that hose isn't going to rub the seams right about it. I really shouldn't be surprised that they've been discarded to liberally (at least in this area). I wonder if in many cases the screw hasn't just backed out and the bracket fallen away over time.

Tip Jar --->
Old 11-27-2010, 04:26 PM   #10
Green7mgte
Supra Forum Moderator

Green7mgte is on a distinguished road

i have that on mine as well..
nearest the firewall a support screws into the center.. i never thought anything of it except for when your messing with the hoses back there or taking your valve covers off.. it then becomes painstakingly noticeable and a pain in the arse. you can remove the support w/o any ill effects. if you don't wish to put your hose ontop of it to prevent rubbing. Ive had it off and had it on.

whilst were in the thread with the pictures.. did you see how his valve cover screws arent in all the way.
I have on on the passenger back right corner that looks like that but is tight.. could there be something in the hole that is preventing it form threading the full way in. any way to remedy it?

oh and how the hell did you get a camera back there? =)

92 Ma71 7mGTE Auto. SafcII
Supra FAQ
Supra MKIII FAQ
Classified Section guidelines :

Last edited by Green7mgte; 11-27-2010 at 04:29 PM.
Green7mgte is offline   Reply With Quote