Home / Toyota Supra Forums

Go Back   Toyota Supra Forums! Join the Supra forum! > Performance, Modification, and Maintenance Forums - for generation specific discussions > MKIII Supra

Old 01-19-2012, 09:02 PM   #1
Ranma
12psi boost

Ranma is an unknown quantity at this point
Talking Touring Supra

We all have different reasons to own our mk III's. I am NOT a racer or drifter and the thought of doing such bores me. Saying that I want my guy to be a pleasure to drive, top on or off. So what can I do to make my guy a touring car? I want to drive route 66 and do it well even in the old areas. So what can I do?
Old 01-20-2012, 01:09 AM   #2
cre

Toyota
Racing
Development

cre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond repute

Well, if you're not driving on rough roads then I'd lower the car a bit. I found that on the stock suspension they tend to feel a bit like the tail is floating. Nice quiet tires, new weather stripping around the windows and targa for less wind noise and replacing the old noise dampening material with newer, lighter and more effective sound insulation makes a huge difference on those long, casual cruises. A well dialed in alignment and new wheel bearing often makes a huge difference in comfort as well.

CUP HOLDERS!!! Add cup holders! I never understood why the Supra's (and MR-2's for that matter) never came with cup holders... GT my hind end!

Oh, and a good sound system NEVER hurts.

A piggyback setup which allows you run a bit leaner at cruise is very nice... I can't think of anything else at the moment... Okay, yes I can, new foam in the seats.
If something breaks or you need to contact a member of the administration please post HERE. Unless it's a private or administration matter please post it on the forum. It benefits no one else if car related questions aren't posted for future users and takes away from the time I'm able to spend helping on the rest of the forum.

If you're so inclined I'm always more than happy to accept tips via PayPal.
Tip Jar --->
cre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 03:23 PM   #3
pandrade
12psi boost

pandrade is on a distinguished road

i thought they did. my mk3 comes whith the 2 cup holder in the center concel but the lift piece will crush it if the drink is not big enough
pandrade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 07:03 PM   #4
cre

Toyota
Racing
Development

cre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandrade View Post
i thought they did. my mk3 comes whith the 2 cup holder in the center concel but the lift piece will crush it if the drink is not big enough
I forgot about those... later models only and still no good. I kept crushing cups with my elbow so I stopped using it. Wow, how did I forget about those?

I think they should've molded them into the door panel or beside the e-brake.
If something breaks or you need to contact a member of the administration please post HERE. Unless it's a private or administration matter please post it on the forum. It benefits no one else if car related questions aren't posted for future users and takes away from the time I'm able to spend helping on the rest of the forum.

Tip Jar --->
Old 01-24-2012, 10:26 PM   #5
pandrade
12psi boost

pandrade is on a distinguished road

that would have been great if they would have put it by the ebrake or even like the toyota pickup which had the slide out one under the ac concel
pandrade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 03:56 AM   #6
cre

Toyota
Racing
Development

Toyota and a couple other manufacturers used cup holders which fit in a single DIN location under or above a single DIN head unit... It's not the best of locations in the MKIII though and interferes with accessing other items to a significant degree if driving alone (no one to hold your cup for you while you change CDs or search for an MP3 to listen to. They're easy enough to find in salvage yards though.

Tip Jar --->
Old 01-25-2012, 08:56 PM   #7
Ranma
12psi boost

Talking

Not sure if I want to lower my guy. Is there something I can put on his rear end to stiffen him up? *looks innocent*
Old 01-25-2012, 10:33 PM   #8
cre

Toyota
Racing
Development

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranma View Post
Not sure if I want to lower my guy. Is there something I can put on his rear end to stiffen him up? *looks innocent*
To what are you responding? The float issue? A stiffer suspension will do very little... The goal is to reduce the volume of air moving under the vehicle, remove turbulence and limit the amount of air pushing against and trying to get under the tires. Air dams and a low lip will help more than stiffer suspension, but clearance remains just as much of an issue.

Tip Jar --->
Old 01-25-2012, 10:56 PM   #9
Ranma
12psi boost

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by cre View Post
To what are you responding? The float issue? A stiffer suspension will do very little... The goal is to reduce the volume of air moving under the vehicle, remove turbulence and limit the amount of air pushing against and trying to get under the tires. Air dams and a low lip will help more than stiffer suspension, but clearance remains just as much of an issue.
He just seems a bit soft in hard turns. Of course a continuing problem is the car seems to be "flexing" in hard turns and with the top off it becomes a downright problem.

Anyhow, where can I get air dams for under my car? The previous owner destroyed the ones that came with the car.
Old 01-26-2012, 12:39 AM   #10
cre

Toyota
Racing
Development

The MKIII never came with air dams. If you're asking about the front undercovers your only options are the dealership or used. Air dams you'd have to fabricate, there's not a lot to them and you can look at many modern vehicles to see how they're employed and to get an idea of placement. They're just rigid plastic sheets which extend down below the car to divert air from going under the car and away from the tires. Even Prius have them.

EDIT: Air dams for tires look like small (usually hidden) reversed mud flaps for the front wheels.

For turning performance a much stronger anti-sway bar will make a very big difference without sacrificing ride quality in a straight line. It does nothing for stabilization at high speeds though... different problem, different solution. Naturally, stiffer suspension will help too but the ride will get a bit rougher.

Tip Jar --->

Last edited by cre; 01-26-2012 at 12:42 AM.