Home / Toyota Supra Forums

Go Back   Toyota Supra Forums! Join the Supra forum! > Performance, Modification, and Maintenance Forums - for generation specific discussions > MKIII Supra

Old 03-12-2012, 02:39 PM   #11
Sturbo
Intake

Sturbo is on a distinguished road

The question of this nature, in the engines and the 7 mge 7mgte have a problem with oily starvation in the sixth and fifth cylinders?
I apologize for my english, I use a translator.
Sturbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 02:59 PM   #12
pandrade
12psi boost

pandrade is on a distinguished road

i dont understand are you asking if there is that problem or have you run into it already?
pandrade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 05:16 PM   #13
cre

Toyota
Racing
Development

cre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond repute

No, the 7M does not have any oil issues which are very common, at least not in the Supra. The people who have had these problems are typically people who "drift" and even then it is not a common problem. It can be addressed by adding more baffling to the pan and/or adding a "crank scraper". It is also safe to run up to 1 quart more oil than specified but keep in mind that this does add a bit more resistance that the crank has to overcome as it rotates.
If something breaks or you need to contact a member of the administration please post HERE. Unless it's a private or administration matter please post it on the forum. It benefits no one else if car related questions aren't posted for future users and takes away from the time I'm able to spend helping on the rest of the forum.

If you're so inclined I'm always more than happy to accept tips via PayPal.
Tip Jar --->
cre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 08:39 PM   #14
pandrade
12psi boost

Ok. Here i was thinking the supra has never had an oil issues, then i heard that and thought thats odd. Good to hear im not crazy.

Iv never drifted my supra but i do regurarly autocross it and have never had any issues whith oil pressure, burning, ext.. now i do run about 1/4 of a quart extra oil because mine burnes about that much between changes because of it being 135k miles and me just restoring it from sitting for 7 years, which doesent seem bad for its age( no blue smoke in tail pipe thank god)
Old 03-12-2012, 08:48 PM   #15
cre

Toyota
Racing
Development

cre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond repute

Keep in mind that the stock oil pressure gauge is dampened and may not show a momentary loss of pressure... It only has to happen for a second. But no, it's not a common issue at all.
If something breaks or you need to contact a member of the administration please post HERE. Unless it's a private or administration matter please post it on the forum. It benefits no one else if car related questions aren't posted for future users and takes away from the time I'm able to spend helping on the rest of the forum.

Tip Jar --->
Old 03-13-2012, 04:44 AM   #16
pandrade
12psi boost

So it's just a matter of take it out, open it up and moding from there and close it back up properly. Any idea what would I need to modify if I have the sender unit open( when you say sender you mean the gauge face and the fat part that houses all the components that make it work I hope). For this little project I might end up buying another OE unit so if I screw up atlases I didn't do that to my cars unit. I hope my questions aren't getting annoying for some one that has probably more knowledge on it than I like yourself Cre
Old 03-13-2012, 04:56 AM   #17
cre

Toyota
Racing
Development

I'll move this discussion to a new thread.

Sender = Sensor... Not always, but close enough. It's the metal can or bell under the exhaust manifold... and it's not going to be straight forward. I can't remember what the internals are like anymore.

EDIT: Oil pressure gauge discussion has been moved here: http://www.toyota-supra.info/forums/...ification.html

Tip Jar --->

Last edited by cre; 03-13-2012 at 05:02 AM.
Old 03-13-2012, 08:46 AM   #18
Sturbo
Intake

Sturbo is on a distinguished road

Hence, the problem with oil starvation in the cylinders, there was a drifter?
To install the turbine on the engine, something must be done with the lubrication system, to improve it?
Sturbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 04:06 PM   #19
cre

Toyota
Racing
Development

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sturbo View Post
The only people I know of who've had trouble with this were people who did a lot of sideways driving while at high RPM. Most of them were drifting (or trying :P).

Quote:
To install the turbine on the engine, something must be done with the lubrication system, to improve it?
I do NOT recommend putting a turbo on a 7M-GE. Yes, the lubrication system must be upgraded and cooling must be added.

Tip Jar --->
Old 03-13-2012, 05:19 PM   #20
Ranma
12psi boost

Ranma is an unknown quantity at this point
Exclamation be safe

Quote:
It is so much more than the oil pan, the 7MGE was not designed to handle turbo. Why should Toyota spend extra money making engines that will never need the extra? The following is my quick guess

computer
need the turbo with all connections
bearings
the compression is different, so the rings are wrong, add head and valves.
oh the exhaust, there is a size difference right?
You would have to overhaul the engine to bring up to specs. Is the engine blocks different? Then the transmission, differential are wrong.

Of course you can do the job on the cheap but my guess is the engine would not have a long life expectantly. Then there is the question, what will fail first? Then there is the question of your safety and those around your racing.

Look be safe and do not do STUPID things! If you want to drift do it in a car that can take the beating! You do not want your last words to be "hey guys, look at this!!"