Home / Toyota Supra Forums

Go Back   Toyota Supra Forums! Join the Supra forum! > Performance, Modification, and Maintenance Forums - for generation specific discussions > MKIII Supra

Old 12-25-2011, 03:28 AM   #1
Killa B
3" Exhaust

Killa B is on a distinguished road
Default HID conversion?

what all do i need to do an HID conversion on my headlights and fog lights in order for them to both work properly?
Old 12-25-2011, 06:26 AM   #2
Sonyps307
Lexus & 550's

Sonyps307 is on a distinguished road

U need after market h4 headlight housing one where the bulbs can be tooken out Then a h4 hid kit. For the fog lights u need a h3 Hid kit. For me to get my fogs to work I had to do the fog light mod search for the mod online it's easy
Sonyps307 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 07:03 AM   #3
Killa B
3" Exhaust

what exactly do you mean fog light mod like running them straight off the switch? so they can stay on with the high beams on?
Old 12-28-2011, 09:00 AM   #4
cre

Toyota
Racing
Development

cre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond repute

You can't power the HID Ballasts off of the stock wiring for the headlights in which case you break up a circuit which counts on power flowing across the headlamp in order for other items to function accordingly. It is illegal in the US to operate fog lights while your high beams are in operation OR while the headlamps (low beams) are turned off. As such the system is built to only run them while the fogs are off. Also, because of the way the circuit is made other mods will affect the high beam functionality (including replacing the dash indicator lamp with a diode of any sort (LED)). So, you need to do some rewiring...

Power ballasts from the battery with fused relays triggered by the stock low beam wiring; I believe that you can trigger high beam ballasts via the stock wiring with relays without issue as well; Fog lights need to be rewired for independent operation (they can easily be rewired to remain legal versus fully independent if you like it's a matter of selecting the power source for the main fog light relay) and then again you'll wire the H3 ballasts to feed from the battery via fuse and relay and trigger that relay by the stock fog light output.

Oh and buy real H4 enclosures or you're just going to blind other traffic and attract police. Remember, blinded drivers actually tend to steer TOWARD the light. I recommend Cibie E-code housings then Hella E-code then Cibie or Hella DOT housings... in that order. eBay housings are nowhere on the list, they're shit... might as well just tape a few dozen flares to the hood, just as much light is going to actually make it to the road.
If something breaks or you need to contact a member of the administration please post HERE. Unless it's a private or administration matter please post it on the forum. It benefits no one else if car related questions aren't posted for future users and takes away from the time I'm able to spend helping on the rest of the forum.

If you're so inclined I'm always more than happy to accept tips via PayPal.
Tip Jar --->
cre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 10:30 PM   #5
Killa B
3" Exhaust

Default Correct HID kit installation?

Okay so I recently got an hid kit for my 89 supra however I hooked it up the way the kit comes in the box and I have been having problems with them coming on. a moderator told me on this forum before I got it that to do them correctly all new wires had to be run will anyone who knows the correct way to install these please shed some light on the subject I'm guessing I just cut the two positive wires that go in the the hid control box and wire them in the the switch on the car so that they are wired exactly like the factory headlight setup?
Old 08-19-2012, 04:23 AM   #6
cre

Toyota
Racing
Development

cre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond repute

Here's your original thread:
http://www.toyota-supra.info/forums/...onversion.html

Threads merged.
If something breaks or you need to contact a member of the administration please post HERE. Unless it's a private or administration matter please post it on the forum. It benefits no one else if car related questions aren't posted for future users and takes away from the time I'm able to spend helping on the rest of the forum.

If you're so inclined I'm always more than happy to accept tips via PayPal.
Tip Jar --->

Last edited by cre; 08-19-2012 at 04:26 AM.
cre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 03:48 AM   #7
Killa B
3" Exhaust

Still confused a little about the wiring, do I power the ballast off the battery with a fused relay then run the factory wires into the control box?
Old 03-07-2013, 06:20 PM   #8
pandrade
12psi boost

pandrade is on a distinguished road

instead of a hid converson couldent you just get the Cibie E-code housing and install silver star ultra's which will be way brighter than factory and will give you that crisp white look as well as keep the heat off of you whith the law. even facotry specs bulbs whith the cibie housing will be brighter and have more usefull light.

on a side note does any one know of a good online dealer to order the cibie housings that is a legit site