Home / Toyota Supra Forums

Go Back   Toyota Supra Forums! Join the Supra forum! > Performance, Modification, and Maintenance Forums - for generation specific discussions > MKIII Supra

Old 12-12-2009, 02:56 AM   #1
Green7mgte
Supra Forum Moderator

Green7mgte is on a distinguished road
Default 92 Supra HID conversion kits.

Im a little worried about purchasing a HID conversion kit for my 92 Mk3. I belive the specs for my stock headlights are classified as H6 but all the hits I get off of ebay motors are for H4. I was going to purchase the HID conversion kit as well as new Projector headlights. Anyone upgraded their stock to HID. If I buy a 7x6 H4 projector headlight set and install an H4 conversion kit am I able to hook that to my stock wires? First time doing an Hid kit on any car. Can anyone shed a little light on the subject? thanks in advance.

I've searched and searched, starting to belive they don't even make h6 hid conversion kits.. what a shame.
----
stock 92 7mgte

Last edited by Green7mgte; 12-12-2009 at 06:23 AM.
Green7mgte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2009, 07:47 AM   #2
cre

Toyota
Racing
Development

cre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond repute

If you've got anything other than sealed lamps your lighting already isn't stock.

If you upgrade to HIDs make sure the enclosures you get have a decent cut off (Like Cibie or even Hella's E-Code H4 housings)... otherwise you're probably more likely to get hit from just blinding fellow motorists or get ticketed.

Also check the laws in your area, aftermarket HIDs are not legal in many places.

EDIT: Oh, and no, you can not use the stock wiring to power the ballast. You may use it to power a relay though.
If something breaks or you need to contact a member of the administration please post HERE. Unless it's a private or administration matter please post it on the forum. It benefits no one else if car related questions aren't posted for future users and takes away from the time I'm able to spend helping on the rest of the forum.

If you're so inclined I'm always more than happy to accept tips via PayPal.
Tip Jar --->
cre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2009, 04:56 PM   #3
Green7mgte
Supra Forum Moderator

Green7mgte is on a distinguished road

Yep my lights are stock. So the Major questions is If I purchase the h4 hid conversion kit and the 7x6 projector headlamps will I be able to install it w/o any problems? Or like you said I would have to power a relay then attach that to my conversion? If that is the case can someone point me in the direction of some reading material on the subject. as always thanks for the assistance.

side note - before I even thought of purchasing the hid's I did all the reading I could on the subject of laws and cut off distance. While driving I take the safety of myself and others into account constantly.
(2 second rule for the win) state laws also. (young guy,sports car.. I've got pulled over more then once for no reason) on a personnel note. Don't wave and smile at a sitting high patrolmen You think your being nice, they don't see it that way. (think forest gump wave, gave me a giggle)

-edit. I gave a fellow supra owner in my area a call and said his h4's were plug and play so to speak. no wire modifications. hes not running HID cause of the short life span of them But is using a new h4 projector housing. please post with any thoughts or comments on the subject. I would like to hear more before I purchase anything.

as always thanks in advance.

92 Ma71 7mGTE Auto. SafcII
Supra FAQ
Supra MKIII FAQ
Classified Section guidelines :

Last edited by Green7mgte; 12-12-2009 at 06:34 PM.
Green7mgte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2009, 07:39 PM   #4
cre

Toyota
Racing
Development

cre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond repute

The housing means next to nothing... the concern is always wiring. You cannot supply enough current to a ballast through the stock wiring... People have tried and it NEVER works... the wiring gets too hot, the ballast cuts out a (if it ever even manages to come on), and fuses blow.

Wiring up a relay is a standard thing... easy to do and worth the trouble even if you're still running sealed beams (better lighting can be had from just better sealed beams or regular H4s). Do a search for Daniel Stern's headlight rewire articles.... He's published a great deal on the matter.
If something breaks or you need to contact a member of the administration please post HERE. Unless it's a private or administration matter please post it on the forum. It benefits no one else if car related questions aren't posted for future users and takes away from the time I'm able to spend helping on the rest of the forum.

If you're so inclined I'm always more than happy to accept tips via PayPal.
Tip Jar --->
cre is offline   Reply With Quote