Home / Toyota Supra Forums

Go Back   Toyota Supra Forums! Join the Supra forum! > Performance, Modification, and Maintenance Forums - for generation specific discussions > MKIII Supra

Old 10-25-2011, 08:08 AM   #1
ochowdero
12psi boost

ochowdero is on a distinguished road
Default 7mge to 7mgte REBUILD QUESTIONS

sooo, its about time to rebuild my 7mge.
i want to put a turbo on it.. what rebuild kit should i get for this?
i am getting it machined and buying valve, springs and retainers.
possibly new connecting rods... i know what im getting(in a sense) but i have a gut feeling and would like to know directly from someone whos done this before.

WHAT DO I REALLY NEED TO REBUILD MY 7mge to a 7mgte?

please and thanks..

i really want turbo
ochowdero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 08:13 AM   #2
ochowdero
12psi boost

should i get the 7mgte rebuild kit?

http://compare.ebay.com/like/3206194...=sbar&_lwgsi=y

or the 7mge rebuild kit?

http://compare.ebay.com/like/3304982...=sbar&_lwgsi=y

alil history on what i want..
i purely want to rebuild my engine for a turbo and boost like 6-9psi

idk what rebuild kit to get nor extra parts to get.
help? lol

i really want turbo
Old 10-25-2011, 08:59 PM   #3
cre

Toyota
Racing
Development

cre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond repute

I'd start with getting the block and head fully machined; Get the stock oil supply and drain for the turbo drilled and tapped; Then forged pistons, peened OEM rods, GTE oil pump, GTE intake cam and aftermarket, full flow oil cooler setup.
If something breaks or you need to contact a member of the administration please post HERE. Unless it's a private or administration matter please post it on the forum. It benefits no one else if car related questions aren't posted for future users and takes away from the time I'm able to spend helping on the rest of the forum.

If you're so inclined I'm always more than happy to accept tips via PayPal.
Tip Jar --->
cre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 10:46 PM   #4
ochowdero
12psi boost

yeah alot of machining.. figured lol

doing a complete change over vs just buying a jdm or even rebuilt 7mgte..
which is cheaper?
and quicker?
trying to get this thing running again..i miss it :'( lol

where can i find a rebuilt or jdm 7mgte at anyway?

i really want turbo
Old 10-25-2011, 10:51 PM   #5
cre

Toyota
Racing
Development

cre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond repute

A used engine is a used engine... I wouldn't run a JDM unless it was rebuilt the same as if I were to buy one locally. You can often find 7M-GTE for pocket change... A friend just bought a complete engine for $80; The seller did a 1JZ swap and just wanted it out of the garage.

I recommend starting with a GTE for the oil squirters, the turbo oil ports are already open and tapped and you'll have the right cams and thermostat neck and housing.

What transmission are you planning on running?
If something breaks or you need to contact a member of the administration please post HERE. Unless it's a private or administration matter please post it on the forum. It benefits no one else if car related questions aren't posted for future users and takes away from the time I'm able to spend helping on the rest of the forum.

Tip Jar --->
Old 10-26-2011, 12:13 AM   #6
carl johansson
3" Exhaust

carl johansson is on a distinguished road

buying a turbo manual transmissioned car would have saved you money, lots of time, and agrevation. Doing a turbo swap requires alot of other part beefing up - good luck to you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ochowdero View Post
sooo, its about time to rebuild my 7mge.
i want to put a turbo on it.. what rebuild kit should i get for this?
i am getting it machined and buying valve, springs and retainers.
possibly new connecting rods... i know what im getting(in a sense) but i have a gut feeling and would like to know directly from someone whos done this before.

WHAT DO I REALLY NEED TO REBUILD MY 7mge to a 7mgte?

please and thanks..
carl johansson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 09:59 AM   #7
ochowdero
12psi boost

@cre - right now i plan on using the w58 w/stage 2 clutch...
not looking for more then 400ish hp
and thats a while from now and by then may upgrade the trans(doubt it) but who knows. just need to rebuild my engine so why not just swap a 7mgte and be happy with it lol turbo is purely what i want anywho.

@carl - yes i know but the mere beauty of seeing your car rebuilt with your time,money,blood and aggravation is better then buying one already done.
its part of my hobby and soon career.

i really want turbo
Old 10-26-2011, 03:43 PM   #8
Sonyps307
Lexus & 550's

Sonyps307 is on a distinguished road

I had my 7mge rebuild with eagle rods and forge Wiseco 7mgte/7mge 9:1 compression pistons, Clevite bearings and arp head studs. Im running it as a na right now. Then I got a 7mgte took all the turbo parts off to use. Now Im having the head redone and sent the turbo to driftmotion to get rebuild due to some shaft play. Got the motor for 300$ guy say it had 60,000 miles but I don't know. Cylinders still had line honing. I also got 89 ecu and wiring to match my 89 supra. I will be getting a aftermarket oil cooler and intercooler.
Sonyps307 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 07:49 PM   #9
cre

Toyota
Racing
Development

Quote:
@carl - yes i know but the mere beauty of seeing your car rebuilt with your time,money,blood and aggravation is better then buying one already done.
No, it's not... not at all, Trust me on this. It's a LOT more work to convert to a GOOD turbo setup than to start out with a turbo equipped car and build from there... it costs a lot more and even good N/A-T jobs are seldom as reliable as a crappily built up stock turbo car.

Quote:
its part of my hobby and soon career.
Careers and hobbies should NEVER meet.

Tip Jar --->
Old 10-27-2011, 08:05 AM   #10
ochowdero
12psi boost

@cre - i know the price and pain itll take to do it. the reason ppl are into cars(for the most part) is to rebuild them their selves. my career is my hobby because of one reason, im not in the field yet. i always loved cars and never started to rebuild until i first got my supra, from then on i fell more in love with working on them.. maybe using "hobby" was a bad word, but your career should always be something you love to do.

anyways, im getting a jdm 7mgte, hopefully. swap it in all the other good shiet i need to do and be set..

what are major pieces needed? i assume ecu and turbo components manifold and such(but all that should be on the engiine when i buy) what else?

i really want turbo