Home / Toyota Supra Forums

Go Back   Toyota Supra Forums! Join the Supra forum! > Performance, Modification, and Maintenance Forums - for generation specific discussions > MKIII Supra

Old 09-06-2010, 06:27 AM   #1
wayzhack
Stock

wayzhack is on a distinguished road
Default 7mgte to 7mge conversion help

Yeah you read that right. Well actually I dont have a 7mgte engine, but Im trying to drop a 7mge engine, tranny, and ecu into a 1988 Toyota Supra Turbo shell.

Anyway, from what Ive read on here, I can pretty much bolt on the new tranny and engine, but what I need to know is if there is anything else that I will need for the conversion? My main question is: Will I be able to use my turbo harness for the n/a engine, or will I need to go buy a 7mge engine harness?

Once again the car is set up for a 7mgte turbo engine and 5spd transmission, but I am swapping in 7mge non turbo engine and auto transmission.

Yeah i know thats a totally hideous thing to do, but thats the cheapest option to get the car running while I save up for the 7mgte or 2jz...
Old 09-06-2010, 02:31 PM   #2
blake
Stock

blake is on a distinguished road

first question is what yr is the shell? if it is a 89+ you will need the harness of the shell and if you can locate a harness for the na of that motor and trans set up u will be in good water, here is a link i have for i am doing a reverse swap my self a 91na with a turbo 88 droped into it full swap of ecu harness trans and a few other little goodies, but since the <88 are different then the 89+ the harness will not plug into the dash hence this link, http://members.shaw.ca/boltz/7MGTE-S...TE,%205MGE.htm will help look at the pin outs, and the turbo harness on a na, there are many things different, example the na has a diffent afm, also no coil pack's, are you going from a 5speed to an automatic? we need detail's... yrs of everything, and it isnt a conversion but a swap.
blake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 05:43 PM   #3
btwilson86
Super Moderator

btwilson86 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by blake View Post
what yr is the shell?
Quote:
Originally Posted by wayzhack View Post
1988 Toyota Supra Turbo shell
Looks like your question was already answered...

Quote:
Originally Posted by blake View Post
are you going from a 5speed to an automatic?
Quote:
Originally Posted by wayzhack View Post
Once again the car is set up for a 7mgte turbo engine and 5spd transmission, but I am swapping in 7mge non turbo engine and auto transmission
There it is again, it's like he is psychic; your questions were answered before you asked them

Blake, thanks for posting some info for the OP. Please be sure to read the post throughly so that there are no repeated questions or missed information.
Driftmotion 57trim CT26, Upgraded Intercooler, 2.25" Hard Pipes, 3" Turbo Back Exhaust with Test Pipe, HKS VPC w/GM 3 bar MAP sensor, APEXi S-AFC, Walbro 255lph fuel pump, ProSport EVO Series Boost / Fuel Pressure / AFR gauges, Lotek a Pillar Gauge Pod, HKS Type 0 Turbo Timer, Eibach Lowering Springs, Tokico Illumina II TEMS struts, custom powder coated Motegi Racing TrakLite wheels
btwilson86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 11:13 PM   #4
cre

Toyota
Racing
Development

cre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond repute

The thing that needs to be asked here FIRST is just how temporary is this or how much do you want the GE to perform like it should in a MKIII?
If something breaks or you need to contact a member of the administration please post HERE. Unless it's a private or administration matter please post it on the forum. It benefits no one else if car related questions aren't posted for future users and takes away from the time I'm able to spend helping on the rest of the forum.

If you're so inclined I'm always more than happy to accept tips via PayPal.
Tip Jar --->
cre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 01:01 AM   #5
wayzhack
Stock

Default lets see

Yes, as stated before, I want to swap an automatic non turbo 7m-ge engine from a 1989 Toyota Cressida into a 5spd 1988 Toyota Supra Turbo shell.

The 7M-GE engine comes with an automatic transmission and ECU from the same Cressida.

The goal is simply to get the car running as cheaply as possible while saving up for a jdm 7M-GTE. Since I'm going back to school, this could take a while but I would have enough money within the year for sure. Therefore since its only temporary, I'd rather not have to splice the turbo harness too much or something.

Recap:
1989 Cressida 7mge, a/t and ECU into 1988 5spd Supra Turbo shell.
For temporary use (less than 1 year)

I dont know if I can be any clearer. Any other questions?
Old 09-07-2010, 03:52 AM   #6
cre

Toyota
Racing
Development

cre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond repute

I asked a question you did NOT already post and answer to and for a VERY specific reason... I was trying to determine just how much effort you were looking to invest PHYSICALLY. If this were for the long term my answer would have been different than the short term....

Knowing that the GE is from a Cressida makes a bit of a difference too... but ya know what, forget it. You haven't the patience to answer NEW questions and I haven't the patience to wait for you to get past that.

Good luck with the project.
If something breaks or you need to contact a member of the administration please post HERE. Unless it's a private or administration matter please post it on the forum. It benefits no one else if car related questions aren't posted for future users and takes away from the time I'm able to spend helping on the rest of the forum.

If you're so inclined I'm always more than happy to accept tips via PayPal.
Tip Jar --->
cre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 06:22 AM   #7
btwilson86
Super Moderator

btwilson86 is on a distinguished road

In order to do your swap easily (if you can call it easy), I'd start by removing the 7MGTE from the engine bay with it's wiring harness attached (just push the ECU plugs through the firewall and unplug the few remaining body connectors).

The turbo harness and ECU will not be able to be used on the 7MGE.

When you install the 7MGE and A340E, install it with both the harness and ECU from the Cressida (I can't remember off hand, but I think there is an additional transmission computer that you'll need to swap in as well). After putting the few odds and ends together, and getting through the unforseen difficulties, that should give you a decently operating drivetrain in the Supra without damaging or modifying most of its components for when you get that JDM 7MGTE.
Driftmotion 57trim CT26, Upgraded Intercooler, 2.25" Hard Pipes, 3" Turbo Back Exhaust with Test Pipe, HKS VPC w/GM 3 bar MAP sensor, APEXi S-AFC, Walbro 255lph fuel pump, ProSport EVO Series Boost / Fuel Pressure / AFR gauges, Lotek a Pillar Gauge Pod, HKS Type 0 Turbo Timer, Eibach Lowering Springs, Tokico Illumina II TEMS struts, custom powder coated Motegi Racing TrakLite wheels
btwilson86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 08:22 PM   #8
wayzhack
Stock

Default Canceling the swap

Quote:
Originally Posted by cre View Post
I asked a question you did NOT already post and answer to and for a VERY specific reason... I was trying to determine just how much effort you were looking to invest PHYSICALLY. If this were for the long term my answer would have been different than the short term....

Knowing that the GE is from a Cressida makes a bit of a difference too... but ya know what, forget it. You haven't the patience to answer NEW questions and I haven't the patience to wait for you to get past that.

Good luck with the project.
woah alright dude no need for hostility. My post was just to make things perfectly clear that I thought may not have been clear already due to Blake and your posts. Within my post I gave you a clear answer and also asked for any other questions which needed answering. Im just trying to be clear and give as much info as I can so that I can get some help, but I'm sorry if you somehow took that as "not having enough patience".

Quote:
Originally Posted by btwilson86 View Post
In order to do your swap easily (if you can call it easy), I'd start by removing the 7MGTE from the engine bay with it's wiring harness attached (just push the ECU plugs through the firewall and unplug the few remaining body connectors).

The turbo harness and ECU will not be able to be used on the 7MGE.

When you install the 7MGE and A340E, install it with both the harness and ECU from the Cressida (I can't remember off hand, but I think there is an additional transmission computer that you'll need to swap in as well). After putting the few odds and ends together, and getting through the unforseen difficulties, that should give you a decently operating drivetrain in the Supra without damaging or modifying most of its components for when you get that JDM 7MGTE.
As I said before, the shell doesn't have a 7mgte in it because it is a shell. I do however have the 7mgte harness. I also dont have the harness from the cressida. I only have the 7mgte shell, 7mgte harness, 7mge engine, 7mge tranny, and 7mge ECU.

Anyway, I have decided that I'm not going to be doing the swap after all. I'm just going to continue saving up for a 7mgte. However I would like to thank all of you for posting and helping me figure out how much trouble it would be! lol And I'm sorry if I've offended anyone through my posts, because that was not my intention.

Tags
7mge, 7mgte, conversion, engine, harness