Home / Toyota Supra Forums

Go Back   Toyota Supra Forums! Join the Supra forum! > Performance, Modification, and Maintenance Forums - for generation specific discussions > MKIII Supra

Old 10-19-2011, 01:35 AM   #1
Ranma
12psi boost

Ranma is an unknown quantity at this point
Angry sodai gomi

well my mkIII has destroyed yet another power steering pump, oh glory be and the *deleted* at the Toyota dealer thinks I will pay for a third. The pump was not Toyota, how can I get a decent pump?
Old 10-19-2011, 07:29 PM   #2
cre

Toyota
Racing
Development

cre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond repute

Heh, buy used and rebuild it or go aftermarket/refurb... I'd try real hard to figure out why you're killing them off first.
If something breaks or you need to contact a member of the administration please post HERE. Unless it's a private or administration matter please post it on the forum. It benefits no one else if car related questions aren't posted for future users and takes away from the time I'm able to spend helping on the rest of the forum.

If you're so inclined I'm always more than happy to accept tips via PayPal.
Tip Jar --->
cre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 08:10 PM   #3
Ranma
12psi boost

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by cre View Post
Heh, buy used and rebuild it or go aftermarket/refurb... I'd try real hard to figure out why you're killing them off first.
Well I am pretty tame with my guy rarely going over 4500 rpm on any takeoff. Could it be a bad job of installation? I do not drift or race, though am known for my spry entrance onto the turnpike. Really what does it take to kill off aftermarket stuff? The thing was a Denso, I have been able to get a new Toyota one but am puzzled why the previous 2 failed?

Sodai gomi is garbage one has to pay to get rid of in Japanese.
Old 11-02-2011, 12:32 AM   #4
carl johansson
3" Exhaust

carl johansson is on a distinguished road

were they new units? or remanufactured units? How are they failing? how do you know they are bad?
3 going bad - something else is going on, thats not normal. Of course if they are rebuilt units, the explanation could be as simple as the rebuilder is making the same mistake over and over again, or the installer putting to much tension on the belt!
regardless, throwing pumps at the result time after time will not solve the problem! isolate the problem, fix it, then put on a new pump!

Carl Johansson
carl johansson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 05:32 PM   #5
Ranma
12psi boost

Talking

Hi the first one came with the car and was leaking. The second was rebuilt by Riverside Toyota and the third was replaced with an aftermarket unit by them. The mechanic that did the work has been released by the dealership. The maintenance advisory has moved along as well. Oh the unit works but leaks along the shaft.
I was hurt in Iraq on of all places the FOB. Got caught in an explosion and it has limited my capacity to do maintenance to my guy. Got all of my parts so do not worry It is just ah hard to do certain things. Will try Jim Norton Toyota next.
Old 11-02-2011, 08:14 PM   #6
cre

Toyota
Racing
Development

cre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond repute

Excessive pressure (generally due to a buildup of debris in the system) or fine debris in the fluid; I think the belt would have to be extremely tight to cause these failures repeatedly and in such a short period of time. I'd flush and rebuild the rack and add an oil filter just before the PS fluid cooler.

I would also buy my own pump from another vendor for them to install, just in case they were trying to make extra money by just replacing the seal and skipping replacing the whole unit. As you were going to the same dealership for all three previously though and are now going somewhere else it's probably not a relevant concern.
If something breaks or you need to contact a member of the administration please post HERE. Unless it's a private or administration matter please post it on the forum. It benefits no one else if car related questions aren't posted for future users and takes away from the time I'm able to spend helping on the rest of the forum.

Tip Jar --->
Old 11-02-2011, 08:24 PM   #7
carl johansson
3" Exhaust

carl johansson is on a distinguished road

This is what I am trying to figure out Cre, she seems a bit vaugue about exactly what the failure is. Are seals blowing? are bearings going out? are fittings failing, what exactly is the failure? She says it leaks along the shaft? The shaft the puley is mounted on? So that would be a seal? and was it leaking along the shaft for all 3? all 3 had the same issue?

and now we know it was not 3 gone bad - it was the one that came with the car - no big deal, then a 'rebuild" which could have easily been the dealer trying to cheap out and just do the seals - or dump in lucas for that matter, Then the 3rd - which she identifies as aftermarket - but don't know it that was new? or rebuilt? who provided it.

Right now we are trying to be helpfull, but we are peeing into the wind - more complete info would help alot in trying to direct her repair efforts! I think your flush and rebuild is probably just the ticket, but hard for me to make an informed guess , given the lack of information!

I have never had any issues with my Toyota PS pumps, but I had alot of problems with my GM pumps in my corvettes every HPDE and track day, boil over and puking of fluid asll over the engine baty and the front right tire.

Turn - One powersteering did a revalve and some internal mods, to lower the pressure, and make it less easy to turn the wheel at high RPM, worked spectacularly well, never had an issue since then, and it drives alot better at speed! (and it was cheap)

Don't know if they mess with toyota stuff, but if I was having issues with PS pumps, thats who I would call first, pick their brains and see if they have a solution (BTW I guess they build most of the NasCar PS pumps now days)_

Quote:
Excessive pressure (generally due to a buildup of debris in the system) or fine debris in the fluid; I think the belt would have to be extremely tight to cause these failures repeatedly and in such a short period of time. I'd flush and rebuild the rack and add an oil filter just before the PS fluid cooler.

I would also buy my own pump from another vendor for them to install, just in case they were trying to make extra money by just replacing the seal and skipping replacing the whole unit. As you were going to the same dealership for all three previously though and are now going somewhere else it's probably not a relevant concern.

Last edited by carl johansson; 11-02-2011 at 08:35 PM.
carl johansson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 03:03 AM   #8
cre

Toyota
Racing
Development

The seal has to be going out for the oil to leak. I'm pretty sure the seal isn't part of an integrated bearing and is just a conventional sacrificial seal such as the cam seal which relies on a *tiny* leak of oil to create a barrier against the greater volume... the problem is they're not long lived if there's debris in the oil, the pressure on the back side is too high or the shaft isn't rotating properly along it's axis (bad bearings or bad shaft). A bent pulley is another possibility to add to the list but that's generally included with a rebuilt unit.

Since the pump was once rebuilt and then actually replaced with another unit bent shafts or bad bearings in two different units are unlikely. The belt being too tight could also pull the shaft out of alignment but it would have to be virgin tight. That's why I suspect oil contamination or pressure.

I don't know why it didn't occur to me sooner.... Ranma... as in 1/2? Is that where your username came from?

Tip Jar --->
Old 11-04-2011, 12:31 AM   #9
Ranma
12psi boost

Quote:
The seal has to be going out for the oil to leak. I'm pretty sure the seal isn't part of an integrated bearing and is just a conventional sacrificial seal such as the cam seal which relies on a *tiny* leak of oil to create a barrier against the greater volume... the problem is they're not long lived if there's debris in the oil, the pressure on the back side is too high or the shaft isn't rotating properly along it's axis (bad bearings or bad shaft). A bent pulley is another possibility to add to the list but that's generally included with a rebuilt unit.

Since the pump was once rebuilt and then actually replaced with another unit bent shafts or bad bearings in two different units are unlikely. The belt being too tight could also pull the shaft out of alignment but it would have to be virgin tight. That's why I suspect oil contamination or pressure.

I don't know why it didn't occur to me sooner.... Ranma... as in 1/2? Is that where your username came from?
Will have to check it out when I get time. Been busy with my new house, now the pump in the swimming pool is not working, well with cold and leafs time to shut it down.
As for Ranma 1/2 well yes I did use that since like Ranma have 2 distinct sides to me. The civilian and the warrior. It is hard for me to switch between the 2 of them and each causes the other trouble. Soon I should be retired, thank Jesus!