Home / Toyota Supra Forums

Go Back   Toyota Supra Forums! Join the Supra forum! > Performance, Modification, and Maintenance Forums - for generation specific discussions > MKIII Supra

Old 08-31-2011, 03:44 AM   #1
Jrsinnovations
Stock

Jrsinnovations is on a distinguished road
Exclamation Newbie-86.5 supra want to do 2jz swap help!!

Ive decided to look past the 7mge my 86.5 Supra came with and go ahead with a 2jzgte swap instead. But ive been hearing that it isnt as easy as i think. So my Question is what would i need to install a 2jzgte in the 86.5 supra but also get the car BAR'D with this swap? Is there enough room for both turbos? Would i have to push the firewall back? I really have very little knowledge on this vehicle and preforming this 2jzgte swap. My other question would it be easier to get a OB1 2jzgte BAR'D or is it the same with a OB2 2jzgte with vvti?

Need help
Jrsinnovations is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 06:35 PM   #2
87hilux7mge
walbro fp

87hilux7mge is on a distinguished road

there are several threads providing help and suggestions with this conversion. search function

as for bar'd, if youre talking emissions requirements, as long as the motor is newer than the original motor, runs good and retains its emissions equipment, you shouldnt have much of a problem.

i dont believe the twin turbos fit, but dont take that as written in stone.

also, i believe the car is old enough to register as "classic" (25 years, right?) so you could do that and fore-go any kind of emissions/swap laws that are present right now, as far as i know.

its been done before, and im sure it will be done many a time in the future.
Old 08-31-2011, 11:59 PM   #3
cre

Toyota
Racing
Development

cre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond repute

"Classics" laws are frozen on a given year in most states... have been for a long time. In CO it's 1974 or 1975, IIRC. Some states also regulate how many miles may be driven in a given year on any vehicle registered as such too. Sorry to say that I don't know of any state where you can have a "Classic" or "Collector" registered MKIII Supra AND drive it more than a couple thousand miles a year.

No, the twins will not fit without reworking the firewall and the same goes for the 6spd trans.

From what I hear California is a horrible state for swaps even if you do retain ALL emissions and engine control systems (which you must). It's not just a matter of knowing and abiding by all of the laws but also a matter of finding a ref who knows them. All of the laws regarding such things are available online (I think I've even posted links to CA's on the forum in the past). There is more to it than just having to be a newer engine with equivalent or better emissions controls though... just can't remember what. Some people have almost no trouble some have shit loads. At any rate, this has been posted in detail here in the past try searching to find more info.

EDIT: I just looked it up, California is frozen on 1969 for Collector/Classic vehicles except for commercial vehicles and trucks which are frozen at 1972.

I've heard that non-OBDII is easier and that's understandable given how much more tightly OBDII systems are wired in to the rest of the car. It wouldn't stop me, but I wouldn't recommend it to a newbie. Actually, I wouldn't recommend either a 1JZ or a 2JZ to a newbie. Most end up in over their heads with a simple 7M-GTE swap.
If something breaks or you need to contact a member of the administration please post HERE. Unless it's a private or administration matter please post it on the forum. It benefits no one else if car related questions aren't posted for future users and takes away from the time I'm able to spend helping on the rest of the forum.

If you're so inclined I'm always more than happy to accept tips via PayPal.
Tip Jar --->

Last edited by cre; 09-01-2011 at 12:13 AM.
cre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 12:06 AM   #4
cre

Toyota
Racing
Development

cre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by 87hilux7mge View Post
also, i believe the car is old enough to register as "classic" (25 years, right?) so you could do that and fore-go any kind of emissions/swap laws that are present right now, as far as i know.
Collector plates in WA won't get you far either. You're not even allowed to operate it as a regular vehicle. But at least there there's no freeze on age.... YET. Getting a ticket for driving to the grocery store just because the cop was bored... no thanks.

To use collector plates, vehicles must be:
  • More than 30 years old.
  • Capable of operating on the highway.
  • Owned and operated as collector vehicles.
Collector vehicles may be driven:
  • To and from auto shows, circuses, parades, displays, special excursions, and antique car club meetings.
  • For testing purposes.
  • For the pleasure of others without compensation.
Collector vehicles may not be used for:
  • Commercial purposes or to carry a load.
  • Regular transportation in the manner of a fully licensed vehicle.
If something breaks or you need to contact a member of the administration please post HERE. Unless it's a private or administration matter please post it on the forum. It benefits no one else if car related questions aren't posted for future users and takes away from the time I'm able to spend helping on the rest of the forum.

If you're so inclined I'm always more than happy to accept tips via PayPal.
Tip Jar --->
cre is offline   Reply With Quote