View Single Post
Old 08-31-2011, 11:59 PM   #3
cre

Toyota
Racing
Development

cre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond repute

"Classics" laws are frozen on a given year in most states... have been for a long time. In CO it's 1974 or 1975, IIRC. Some states also regulate how many miles may be driven in a given year on any vehicle registered as such too. Sorry to say that I don't know of any state where you can have a "Classic" or "Collector" registered MKIII Supra AND drive it more than a couple thousand miles a year.

No, the twins will not fit without reworking the firewall and the same goes for the 6spd trans.

From what I hear California is a horrible state for swaps even if you do retain ALL emissions and engine control systems (which you must). It's not just a matter of knowing and abiding by all of the laws but also a matter of finding a ref who knows them. All of the laws regarding such things are available online (I think I've even posted links to CA's on the forum in the past). There is more to it than just having to be a newer engine with equivalent or better emissions controls though... just can't remember what. Some people have almost no trouble some have shit loads. At any rate, this has been posted in detail here in the past try searching to find more info.

EDIT: I just looked it up, California is frozen on 1969 for Collector/Classic vehicles except for commercial vehicles and trucks which are frozen at 1972.

I've heard that non-OBDII is easier and that's understandable given how much more tightly OBDII systems are wired in to the rest of the car. It wouldn't stop me, but I wouldn't recommend it to a newbie. Actually, I wouldn't recommend either a 1JZ or a 2JZ to a newbie. Most end up in over their heads with a simple 7M-GTE swap.
If something breaks or you need to contact a member of the administration please post HERE. Unless it's a private or administration matter please post it on the forum. It benefits no one else if car related questions aren't posted for future users and takes away from the time I'm able to spend helping on the rest of the forum.

If you're so inclined I'm always more than happy to accept tips via PayPal.
Tip Jar --->

Last edited by cre; 09-01-2011 at 12:13 AM.
cre is offline   Reply With Quote