Home / Toyota Supra Forums

Go Back   Toyota Supra Forums! Join the Supra forum! > Performance, Modification, and Maintenance Forums - for generation specific discussions > MKIII Supra

Old 08-10-2011, 12:46 PM   #1
lmmr74
Stock

lmmr74 is on a distinguished road
Default Additinal Electrical Fan

Hello, i just recently bought an 1989 3.0i Turbo Supra, and i was wondering if it is possible to add an "extra" electrical fan on the radiator. The car has a stock mechanicall fan that is allways working since you start the engine, so, is it possible to have 2 fans at the same time colling the radiator, the mechanicall one plus the electric??

Thanks in advance for your help!

Luis
lmmr74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 07:01 PM   #2
Mk3FirstCar-Mike
3" Exhaust

Mk3FirstCar-Mike is on a distinguished road

You can get a reversed electrical fan to put in front of the radiator, but if you have a clutch fan that is always running, it's not going to help all that much. In my opinion, your best bet would be to take the clutch fan off and put an electrical fan on the back of the radiator. I'm assuming that you're looking to squeeze every drop of power out of your engine. Doing this will make it so the fan will only run at low speeds or at idle, unless your engine begins overheating at high speeds ( Which it most certainly should not if your radiator is working properly).

"It is amazing how many drivers, even at the Formula One Level, think that the brakes are for slowing the car down." – Mario Andretti

"Speed has never killed anyone, suddenly becoming stationary… that’s what gets you." – Jeremy Clarkson

"When I raced a car last it was at a time when sex was safe and racing was dangerous. Now, it’s the other way round." – Hans Stuck
Mk3FirstCar-Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 09:50 PM   #3
lmmr74
Stock

Default Additional electrical fan

Thanks for the tip. But if i keep the mechanical fan plus the reversed electric fan on the front of the radiator, will i get an extra cooling efect? Will it avoid the engine to overheat on heavy traffic?

Thks again in advance for the help!

Greetings from Lisbon!
Old 08-11-2011, 12:17 AM   #4
907mge
20psi boost

907mge is on a distinguished road

I have had my supra in traffic on hot days with the ac on and have not had any overheating problems. If you are having a problem with overheating you most likely have a problem causing it. The supra is a modern car and was deigned from factory to be a daily driver. Also electric fans are a power gain only when the electric fan is not running since it will just transfer the load to the alternator.
907mge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 03:41 AM   #5
El Supracabras
3" Exhaust

El Supracabras is on a distinguished road

The stock fan is sufficient on the GTE if the clutch is good and you at least use the shroud. There are all types of electric fan options if that's the route you want to go. There are ready to bolt in kits that cost some coin, some universal kits that cost less but require some driveway engineering to fit and there is the junk yard route. Measure your radiator and its clearances then go to the junk yard and find one that fits.
As mentioned before, if you are overheating in traffic there is likely something wrong with the cooling system. The time and money would be better spent checking the condition of the cooling system components before replacing the fan set up.
El Supracabras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 07:06 AM   #6
cre

Toyota
Racing
Development

cre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond repute

I agree with the others that the stock fan should be more than sufficient. However, do note that the GTE already has a supplimental electric fan mounted between the radiator and a/c condenser.... not including the one or two small aux fans next to the mechanical fan. If your car is GTE and the A/C fan is still in place you could bypass it's relay so that it's on full time, but you're wasting energy doing to... the greater the electric draw on the alternator the greater it's resistence and you lose more power.

Fix the real problem is what I recommend.
If something breaks or you need to contact a member of the administration please post HERE. Unless it's a private or administration matter please post it on the forum. It benefits no one else if car related questions aren't posted for future users and takes away from the time I'm able to spend helping on the rest of the forum.

If you're so inclined I'm always more than happy to accept tips via PayPal.
Tip Jar --->
cre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 12:32 PM   #7
lmmr74
Stock

Thank you all for your replies!

I am checking the entire cooling system, i changed the water pump, the thermostat valve, i will also check the radiator just to make sure it's not blocked or something. What other components should i check?
Old 08-11-2011, 12:45 PM   #8
El Supracabras
3" Exhaust

All of the hoses. Make sure the system is completely purged of air, the fan clutch is good, the shroud is present, check for blockage between the radiator and a/c condenser also if front of the condenser. The 7MGTE cooling system is complex and has many points of potential failure but in good condition it is capable of handling some serious heat.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	7mgteCOOLING.jpg
Views:	405
Size:	102.6 KB
ID:	4143   Click image for larger version

Name:	7MGTEHTRHOSE.jpg
Views:	308
Size:	39.9 KB
ID:	4144  
Old 08-11-2011, 02:07 PM   #9
lmmr74
Stock

Just one more thing...how can i check if the fan clutch is working fine??
Old 08-14-2011, 02:25 PM   #10
El Supracabras
3" Exhaust

I tried to search for a video or link with instructions but all I could find were idiots sticking things in the fan while it was running to see if it would stop. I can't recommend those methods. While the engine is cold (and off!), the fan should give resistance to turning by hand. You can check it for side to side wobble, there should be very little to none. You may have to remove it to check if the fluid inside has leaked out around the coil in the front, unless you can squeeze between the fan and radiator to look at it.
If you end up taking it off, and are unsure of how old it is, just replace it. It is pretty cheap and will eliminate it as the cause of your temp issues.