Home / Toyota Supra Forums

Go Back   Toyota Supra Forums! Join the Supra forum! > Performance, Modification, and Maintenance Forums - for generation specific discussions > MKIII Supra

Old 07-08-2011, 08:59 PM   #1
Semper_Fi
3" Exhaust

Semper_Fi is on a distinguished road
Default Intercooler setup Pic Request and Questions

Ok. So i just turned my 7mgte for the first time in 2 years. Just finished rebuilding my engine(again), and Im in the process of installing my aftermarket intercooler setup and Stock oil cooler. Oil cooler was cleaned out, and the aftermarket intercooler setup is giving me hell of problems. First... WHY THE F%CK would they route the intake like that. frigging japan... anyways, yeah. So im going to install a regular intercooler, and didnt really count on how im going to run the piping from the turbo to the driver side of the car to catch the intercooler inlet. And now the oil cooler placement is also bugging me. I just want to see how the supra gurros installed there intercooler and maybe even the blow off valve setup.
Should i swich the intercooler out to one that the inlet outlet side are both on the same side??
Thanks again
Carlos

Ive been looking around, and some people have really clean setups, but have had the bumpers on. Thanks. Ill be away for two weeks since im doing some training, but i want to be able to do the piping myself. If i cant figure it out, muffler shop time. Thanks again. Get ready to have the cleanest supra driving around in a few weeks!!

uh-60 blackhawk... My life

Last edited by Semper_Fi; 07-09-2011 at 12:51 AM.
Semper_Fi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 12:52 AM   #2
Semper_Fi
3" Exhaust

Quote:
Originally Posted by Semper_Fi View Post
Ok. So i just turned my 7mgte for the first time in 2 years. Just finished rebuilding my engine(again), and Im in the process of installing my aftermarket intercooler setup and Stock oil cooler. Oil cooler was cleaned out, and the aftermarket intercooler setup is giving me hell of problems. First... WHY THE F%CK would they route the intake like that. frigging japan... anyways, yeah. So im going to install a regular intercooler, and didnt really count on how im going to run the piping from the turbo to the driver side of the car to catch the intercooler inlet. And now the oil cooler placement is also bugging me. I just want to see how the supra gurros installed there intercooler and maybe even the blow off valve setup.
Should i swich the intercooler out to one that the inlet outlet side are both on the same side??
Thanks again
Carlos

Ive been looking around, and some people have really clean setups, but have had the bumpers on. Thanks. Ill be away for two weeks since im doing some training, but i want to be able to do the piping myself. If i cant figure it out, muffler shop time. Thanks again. Get ready to have the cleanest supra driving around in a few weeks!!
Bump! Come on, some one took pics of there setup while they installed it.

Old 07-10-2011, 03:38 AM   #3
El Supracabras
3" Exhaust

El Supracabras is on a distinguished road

This was an "ebay" intercooler kit (actually cxracing). I tried with a few different pipes and couplers but always the same routing. Ignore that bov, it's gone now, it seemed like a good idea at the time. One pic shows the routing pretty clearly, this was during the mock up process, many things had to be moved around. It was also important to me that it fit behind the crash/impact bar as im not willing to give that up for a small ammount of power gain.
Glad you finally got your car running.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	022.jpg
Views:	2014
Size:	296.4 KB
ID:	4050   Click image for larger version

Name:	017.jpg
Views:	2346
Size:	297.9 KB
ID:	4051   Click image for larger version

Name:	120.jpg
Views:	2498
Size:	301.2 KB
ID:	4052  
El Supracabras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 01:41 PM   #4
Semper_Fi
3" Exhaust

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Supracabras View Post
This was an "ebay" intercooler kit (actually cxracing). I tried with a few different pipes and couplers but always the same routing. Ignore that bov, it's gone now, it seemed like a good idea at the time. One pic shows the routing pretty clearly, this was during the mock up process, many things had to be moved around. It was also important to me that it fit behind the crash/impact bar as im not willing to give that up for a small ammount of power gain.
Glad you finally got your car running.
Thanks!!!! Just got home... So lets see if i can get this

Old 07-25-2011, 04:47 PM   #5
El Supracabras
3" Exhaust

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/89-92...item27bbd268a4
This looks like a newer version of the one I bought 2 years ago. I bought directly from cxracings ebay store. I have had zero problems other than the piping for the pcv and vac lines don't line up with the bolt holes on the crossover pipe (3000 pipe replacement) and the intercooler itself is much heavier than the stock one. It also is NOT a direct bolt at all. I had to relocate my oil cooler, horns, coolant reservoir, steering cooler, make brackets (which I think are now included) and modify the hood latch support a little so it would clear the front crash bar.
Good luck, and don't you think it's time you put some pics of the beast up?
Old 07-26-2011, 07:11 PM   #6
Semper_Fi
3" Exhaust

Quote:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/89-92...item27bbd268a4
This looks like a newer version of the one I bought 2 years ago. I bought directly from cxracings ebay store. I have had zero problems other than the piping for the pcv and vac lines don't line up with the bolt holes on the crossover pipe (3000 pipe replacement) and the intercooler itself is much heavier than the stock one. It also is NOT a direct bolt at all. I had to relocate my oil cooler, horns, coolant reservoir, steering cooler, make brackets (which I think are now included) and modify the hood latch support a little so it would clear the front crash bar.
Good luck, and don't you think it's time you put some pics of the beast up?
Im posting pics as soon as im done with the intercooler kit... but i can show progress so far. Shes kinda ruff. Thanks again BRO!!!!!!
Can i ask for one more. How does ur intake fit? Also my Intercooler outlets are located on east and west... so i gotta figure how to redo the piping...

Old 07-27-2011, 12:28 AM   #7
El Supracabras
3" Exhaust

Easiest solution for your intercooler design is a FFIM. Mo' money!
When I first got mine, I looked at it carefully to check for crappy welds, holes, cracks or other problems (i was skeptical of its ebayness). It seems that it is just a regular intercooler with one of the side outlets cut off and welded shut (very cleanly) and a 90 degree elbow was welded to the bottom of the side tank facing the other way instead. I thought it was a pretty cool idea actually.
Old 07-29-2011, 08:30 PM   #8
Semper_Fi
3" Exhaust

Quote:
Easiest solution for your intercooler design is a FFIM. Mo' money!
When I first got mine, I looked at it carefully to check for crappy welds, holes, cracks or other problems (i was skeptical of its ebayness). It seems that it is just a regular intercooler with one of the side outlets cut off and welded shut (very cleanly) and a 90 degree elbow was welded to the bottom of the side tank facing the other way instead. I thought it was a pretty cool idea actually.
Thanks again bro. I have a supra guy in my area, that builds supras... he made his own kit, and sells it for 250$ So by monday, i should be tested out his equipment, and ofcourse, writing out a good review. Hell maybe ill even put a "how to make diy intercooler kit."

Thanks again supracabra!

Old 07-29-2011, 08:44 PM   #9
El Supracabras
3" Exhaust

Hey no problemo!
I'm sure many people would be interested in a DIY intercooler upgrade write up. Good luck.