Home / Toyota Supra Forums

Go Back   Toyota Supra Forums! Join the Supra forum! > Performance, Modification, and Maintenance Forums - for generation specific discussions > MKIII Supra

Old 03-28-2011, 01:16 AM   #1
Conga1991
3" Exhaust

Conga1991 is on a distinguished road
Default How to tune Apexi Safc??

Anyone own an Apexi SAFC 1st gen?? I installed it and everything but now my car idles 2k or higher. I was messing with it and put it on Karman and idles that high but when I tried another setting such as hot-wire it idled down to 1200-1400. Anyone know the setting for this or can help me bring the idle down?
Conga1991 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 07:14 AM   #2
cre

Toyota
Racing
Development

cre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond repute

You posted in the wrong section... hence the slow replies, I'm sure.

Is this in a GE or a GTE? GTE uses a KVAFM (Karmann Vortex); GE uses a VAFM (Vane)... As seen in the instructions there are a few different types of meter supported... they're all quite different and NOT cross compatible.

Sure your idle may be screwing up... you need to tune the fuel controller once it's installed and known to be functioning properly. On a bone stock system with no other mods, setting all the adjustments to 0 will have the engine running like is was before you added the controller.
If something breaks or you need to contact a member of the administration please post HERE. Unless it's a private or administration matter please post it on the forum. It benefits no one else if car related questions aren't posted for future users and takes away from the time I'm able to spend helping on the rest of the forum.

If you're so inclined I'm always more than happy to accept tips via PayPal.
Tip Jar --->
cre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 09:40 PM   #3
Conga1991
3" Exhaust

Ooops, sorry.

It is a gte, it's pretty much stock besides the intercooler kit from driftmotion with an hks ssqv bov. I did some research that you can tune it by looking at the O2 sensors voltage, is this true? I read it off a DSM how to tune safc. Here's the link, http://www.angelfire.com/pro2/rst/ai...uning_tips.htm

I'm just not sure if this is only used for mitsubishi or can be used by every vehicle.
Old 03-28-2011, 10:21 PM   #4
cre

Toyota
Racing
Development

cre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond repute

No good man. The MKIII only has a narrowband O2 sensor... it's about as useful as having some junkie sit with his nose in the exhaust and just yell is he's getting high or not.

A narrow band sensor only tells the ECU if it's on target, rich or lean... but not how much. It is basically a three position switch who's center position (optimum; ~.6v) indicates only 14.6:1 to 14.8:1.

A wide band provides information on the mixture from around 10:1 up to 21:1...

Ideal mixtures for gasoline engines start at around 13.1:1. You'll want between 10:1 and 12:1 depending on how much boost you're running, intake temps and so on.... 10:1 is safest but you lose mileage and a little power.
If something breaks or you need to contact a member of the administration please post HERE. Unless it's a private or administration matter please post it on the forum. It benefits no one else if car related questions aren't posted for future users and takes away from the time I'm able to spend helping on the rest of the forum.

Tip Jar --->
Old 03-29-2011, 12:27 AM   #5
cre

Toyota
Racing
Development

Ok, I have a moment more... You need a wideband in order to effectively and safely tune. If you do not have one and cannot afford one you should take your car to a TRUSTWORTHY performance shop for tuning. The system can only be tuned for open loop operation, if you want to tune the closed loop fueling you may remove the stock O2 sensor to force the ECU to remain in open loop mode, but aside from just being lazy when tuning there's no real benefit. I recommend just tuning the open loop levels unless you have a specific reason not to.

The most affordable wide band is the very reliable LC-1 by Innovate Motorsports. I've installed a number of these, tuned with them and have found them to have very little shift as the sensor ages; You'll find a number of magazine articles and owners praising this unit if you dig around.

Tip Jar --->
Old 03-29-2011, 01:44 AM   #6
Conga1991
3" Exhaust

All very great information. I have to wait to get a wideband since I am currently broke.

Everything needs to be at 0, that's everything in the settings and not the etc?? would reseting it back to factory settings be the best way?