Home / Toyota Supra Forums

Go Back   Toyota Supra Forums! Join the Supra forum! > Performance, Modification, and Maintenance Forums - for generation specific discussions > MKIII Supra

Old 03-09-2011, 02:50 AM   #11
graywolf1969
Intake

graywolf1969 is on a distinguished road
Default my car did this too

it was the vsv its down below the intake its red thay go bad some times
graywolf1969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 06:39 AM   #12
cre

Toyota
Racing
Development

cre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by graywolf1969 View Post
it was the vsv its down below the intake its red thay go bad some times
What are you saying? You know he's missing a VSV and which one it is? Are you both in the same location?

There are two VSV's under the intake and the fuel pressure up VSV is quite important.... If it's missing he could be having a number of problems including damage from running lean. I can't remember the color of each, but new one is a brownish orange and the other is blue.

EDIT: Well, whichever parts you two have found are missing, be sure the vacuum system is properly routed to account for it and make sure that none of the missing parts are related to the fuel supply.
If something breaks or you need to contact a member of the administration please post HERE. Unless it's a private or administration matter please post it on the forum. It benefits no one else if car related questions aren't posted for future users and takes away from the time I'm able to spend helping on the rest of the forum.

If you're so inclined I'm always more than happy to accept tips via PayPal.
Tip Jar --->

Last edited by cre; 03-09-2011 at 07:26 AM.
cre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 04:39 AM   #13
supraheelfan
3" Exhaust

supraheelfan is on a distinguished road

I'm missing the thermostat bvsv. And I am running rich. But from what I can tell the fuel vsv is intact and fine. The previous owner got rid of all the EGR hoses. You said earlier that it would effect the engine being cool, is that really true?
supraheelfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 05:03 AM   #14
cre

Toyota
Racing
Development

cre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond repute

No, I lied... it's a hobby.

Yes I'm serious; It's what the EGR system does. The EGR system reduces emissions by reducing the temps in the combustion chamber... It also improves mileage on most vehicles today. In most vehicles it's off when you're driving at full throttle, so despite what you hear removing it usually doesn't provide any gain on modern vehicles. Anyway, EGR = lower combustion chamber temps = less frequent detonation and ping = higher spark advance = more power = the ability to run a lower octane fuel. Some markets didn't come with the EGR system (such as the JDM Supras); Their ECUs are tuned differently. A JDM ECU is strongly advised if you run without the EGR, but do know that they have a governor.

If the system was left in place but the vacuum lines weren't properly terminated or rerouted it could end up leaving the EGR valve open which would impact your vehicle's idle and the top end power. This is only if they left the EGR valve in place.

I'd find a replacement for the BVSV, running the charcoal canister purge directly into the intake lets a fair amount of pirate air into the system when it's cold and not really up to it.
If something breaks or you need to contact a member of the administration please post HERE. Unless it's a private or administration matter please post it on the forum. It benefits no one else if car related questions aren't posted for future users and takes away from the time I'm able to spend helping on the rest of the forum.

Tip Jar --->
Old 03-10-2011, 09:07 PM   #15
supraheelfan
3" Exhaust

Engine light comes on only when I start driving, took it to the shop and they said the engine is fine. It doesn't have any power at all. I did not know that JDM 7m's do not have the EGR systems, that explains a lot, cause I got a JDM 7mgte from Japan Star Motors and it came with its own ECU and wiring. But seriously my car will not go to save its own rotting existence.

Last edited by supraheelfan; 03-10-2011 at 09:31 PM.
Old 03-12-2011, 12:58 AM   #16
graywolf1969
Intake

Default there only one on my 89

so what your saying there is two bc i dont have 2 i have a red one and it run so goood
Quote:
Originally Posted by cre View Post
What are you saying? You know he's missing a VSV and which one it is? Are you both in the same location?

There are two VSV's under the intake and the fuel pressure up VSV is quite important.... If it's missing he could be having a number of problems including damage from running lean. I can't remember the color of each, but new one is a brownish orange and the other is blue.

EDIT: Well, whichever parts you two have found are missing, be sure the vacuum system is properly routed to account for it and make sure that none of the missing parts are related to the fuel supply.
Old 03-12-2011, 01:12 AM   #17
graywolf1969
Intake

Default ok man

if you check the engine code if its the vsv it will say its the O2 siner im not saying that could be it but my supra was saying that ...and i put a outher O2 siner and it did nuthing i put a use vsv the red oneand it runs very good .. the code should blink 5 time and then pause for like 2 sc
Old 03-12-2011, 02:07 AM   #18
cre

Toyota
Racing
Development

Then explain to me, please, how it is that your photobucket account is in HIS name. It's not a common name you both speak the exact same breed of thinglish, your photobucket account is his name, you both log on via the same internet connection (and it's not a proxy, I've checked). I'm deciding how to handle this now.

EDIT: Sorry, I didn't understand... I was dialoging with your alter ego in another thread and thought this response was your reply to that. You've two accounts depending on how quickly you man up and PM me I may just not complete ban you from this site and only close one of the accounts. The other account is Josiah1989.

Tip Jar --->

Last edited by cre; 03-12-2011 at 02:10 AM.
Old 03-12-2011, 09:40 PM   #19
supraheelfan
3" Exhaust

I think I missed something. What are you guys talking about? So the o2 sensor will take away half of my power? That's what is happening to my car. I have a 87 N/A mk3 and I'm parting it out. Let me know if there is something you need.
I'm also in the process of getting a rack and pinion, I was looking at the one from Beck Arnley, is that a quality product? Is there a better choice, should I just rebuild or buy another one?

Last edited by supraheelfan; 03-12-2011 at 09:51 PM.
Old 03-13-2011, 09:11 PM   #20
cre

Toyota
Racing
Development

If it came with an ECU that'd be the one you want to run. Otherwise swap over the EGR components and wire up the VSV... I don't think the harness needs to be completely swapped, but I don't have a wiring diagram for the JDM. I think you just need to run the one VSV signal wire and then you may get the positive for the other pin at the fuel pump resistor relay (brown wire with red stripe).

This is more of a longevity issue... if anything. In cooler climate areas or high altitude I can't say I'd worry about it. Somewhere like California, Florida, Arizona... I'd do everything I could to make sure that engine is running nice and cool and safe from detonation. You really may be just fine pulling 5? or so off the base timing, I'm not sure I haven't been through this... I'm going off the theory of the thing.

With the check engine light, there are no codes getting stored? Does your ECU have power at the BATT pin when the ignition is turned off? Put the diagnostic jumper in and driver the car. For as long as it usually takes for the check engine light to come on. It'll start blinking a code as you drive, you'll get at least a code 51, that one you may ignore. Now pull over periodically and see if there are any other codes. I'm thinking you're going to see either a code 52 or some code(s) related to the AFM.

Quote:
Originally Posted by supraheelfan View Post
I think I missed something. What are you guys talking about? So the o2 sensor will take away half of my power? That's what is happening to my car. I have a 87 N/A mk3 and I'm parting it out. Let me know if there is something you need.
I'm also in the process of getting a rack and pinion, I was looking at the one from Beck Arnley, is that a quality product? Is there a better choice, should I just rebuild or buy another one?
I have no idea what he means about the O2 sensor... and NO, it will not affect your power like this. You can simply unplug the O2 sensor on these cars and you should see no difference. If the signal is missing or too far out of range (more than 200mV +/- 600mV) and the ECU will just ignore it and use the same base maps it uses when the car is started cold. On 89+ you'll get an O2 sensor heater circuit code along with the O2 sensor code but it doesn't do a thing.

Tip Jar --->

Last edited by cre; 03-13-2011 at 09:16 PM.