Home / Toyota Supra Forums

Go Back   Toyota Supra Forums! Join the Supra forum! > Performance, Modification, and Maintenance Forums - for generation specific discussions > MKIII Supra

Old 02-13-2011, 06:48 AM   #1
zby67
3" Exhaust

zby67 is on a distinguished road
Default Ffim ge?

ok so i picked up a 87 supra oct 2 of 10 and have the engine stripped and ready to be rebuilt and boby is semi ready. iv been doing research on FFIMs and everything i come across is for the GTE and was wondering if it would work for the GE? i was planning on going with this model. http://www.suprasport.com/LIPP-Front...ld_p_5506.html
iv searched for the a FFIM thread on the GE's and looked to page 30 or so found some nice reads but nothing on FFIM's.
has anyone done this? and with an FFIM i can easily put the AFM ware i want it ( ware the fog light is for a ram air intake) and no pipes or throttle body will go over the engine/headers! a big plus. and if i ever get a GTE i can just take it off my GE so it wont be a waist of money unless it wont work with the GE.how does ACIS work? on other threads im getting people saying its a bad idea but im peeping for a NAT or GTE. since my 86.5's suspension is rusting really bad cause A its a DD and be salt and winter. so im rushing my project to be done by next summer max. and got GTE or NAT after that time (that winter) so ill have a hole summer to get a winter DD. if i go the route im going engine will be done this summer and body work i haven't priced everything yet. both front and rear suspension will be powder coated.

Last edited by zby67; 02-13-2011 at 07:18 AM.
zby67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 07:52 AM   #2
btwilson86
Super Moderator

btwilson86 is on a distinguished road

I personally like them on a GTE, but I would advise against it on a GE. Couple big reasons is that the ACIS system will no longer work (or be there), and I would think that the rear cylinders will be starved for air due to the increased distance air would have to travel after entering the FFIM (this will also reduce the air velocity thanks to the 90ish degree turns the air has to make to enter the plenum runners). So basically you'll lose some significant power/performance.

These tend to work okay on turbo models because the boosted air will pressurize the intake manifold so air will be readily available for all cylinders.

Stick with the GE manifold. It's design is one of the best possible ways to disperse air in a fuel injected inline engine. Besides, the heat transfer from traveling over the exhaust manifold/headers and engine is minuscule.
Driftmotion 57trim CT26, Upgraded Intercooler, 2.25" Hard Pipes, 3" Turbo Back Exhaust with Test Pipe, HKS VPC w/GM 3 bar MAP sensor, APEXi S-AFC, Walbro 255lph fuel pump, ProSport EVO Series Boost / Fuel Pressure / AFR gauges, Lotek a Pillar Gauge Pod, HKS Type 0 Turbo Timer, Eibach Lowering Springs, Tokico Illumina II TEMS struts, custom powder coated Motegi Racing TrakLite wheels
btwilson86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 08:53 AM   #3
zby67
3" Exhaust

Quote:
Originally Posted by btwilson86 View Post
I personally like them on a GTE, but I would advise against it on a GE. Couple big reasons is that the ACIS system will no longer work (or be there), and I would think that the rear cylinders will be starved for air due to the increased distance air would have to travel after entering the FFIM (this will also reduce the air velocity thanks to the 90ish degree turns the air has to make to enter the plenum runners). So basically you'll lose some significant power/performance.

These tend to work okay on turbo models because the boosted air will pressurize the intake manifold so air will be readily available for all cylinders.

Stick with the GE manifold. It's design is one of the best possible ways to disperse air in a fuel injected inline engine. Besides, the heat transfer from traveling over the exhaust manifold/headers and engine is minuscule.
ok thank you for the info! thats the one of the answers i was looking for. also how does ACIS work? i would like to under stand that better so if you have a link that would be sweet!!! as it stand right now making my 87 into my project car would be a bad idea. so ill take the two GE's i have make one fix what parts of the body are needed and gut the 86 junk it and make the 87 my DD and wait till i get the 90 supra i want for the project car.
Old 02-13-2011, 06:52 PM   #4
907mge
20psi boost

907mge is on a distinguished road

The ACIS controls a butterfly inside the main section of the intake manifold(under the plate with 6 srews) that will shut at a certain rpm seperating the manifold in 2. It is controled by a vsv and a vaccuum canister that is controled by the ecu. I don't remember the right rpm though. But what is does is keeps the air from each side of the y-pipe seperate and flowing into 3 runners each instead of a open chamber of 6 runners. I think the whole purpose is to reduce turbulance in the air flow being sucked in. This is why the turbo does not have one since it is forced induction and not natural aspiration.
907mge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 10:51 PM   #5
cre

Toyota
Racing
Development

cre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond repute

It's an acoustic modulation device. As valves open and close there are rebounding waves of air which pulsate back. These pulsations affect air velocity and density. Depending on how much air it's pressing back into the affect is different and the amplitude of the change varies. <--- going from memory on this, my memory of it is a bit rusty.

It activates at 4200RPM and around 70% throttle.
If something breaks or you need to contact a member of the administration please post HERE. Unless it's a private or administration matter please post it on the forum. It benefits no one else if car related questions aren't posted for future users and takes away from the time I'm able to spend helping on the rest of the forum.

If you're so inclined I'm always more than happy to accept tips via PayPal.
Tip Jar --->
cre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 01:27 AM   #6
zby67
3" Exhaust

Quote:
Originally Posted by 907mge View Post
The ACIS controls a butterfly inside the main section of the intake manifold(under the plate with 6 srews) that will shut at a certain rpm seperating the manifold in 2. It is controled by a vsv and a vaccuum canister that is controled by the ecu. I don't remember the right rpm though. But what is does is keeps the air from each side of the y-pipe seperate and flowing into 3 runners each instead of a open chamber of 6 runners. I think the whole purpose is to reduce turbulance in the air flow being sucked in. This is why the turbo does not have one since it is forced induction and not natural aspiration.
ok now i get what that valve in the plenum is for. thank you for the info! +1
Old 02-14-2011, 01:48 AM   #7
cre

Toyota
Racing
Development

cre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond repute

Think very early V-Tec... Air flow is cleverly modulated and timing is adjusted. It affects how the car performs at lower loads granting more torque. If you swap in a Cressida GE and don't swap over the intake or install a Cressie ECU you'll find you lose a good amount of power off the bottom end... Cressie's don't have ACIS.
If something breaks or you need to contact a member of the administration please post HERE. Unless it's a private or administration matter please post it on the forum. It benefits no one else if car related questions aren't posted for future users and takes away from the time I'm able to spend helping on the rest of the forum.

If you're so inclined I'm always more than happy to accept tips via PayPal.
Tip Jar --->
cre is offline   Reply With Quote