Home / Toyota Supra Forums

Go Back   Toyota Supra Forums! Join the Supra forum! > Performance, Modification, and Maintenance Forums - for generation specific discussions > MKIII Supra

Old 02-09-2011, 06:05 PM   #1
MADMKIII
Stock

MADMKIII is on a distinguished road
Default Keep stock ic or go fmic

HI newbie here i have a 87 7MGTE R154, i wanted to know how good is the stock ic and if its worth the 400 bucks to upgrade??? only looking to get about 300-340

current mods:
hks mhg
arp studs
forged valves
3' hks exhaust
hks BOV
apex-i avcr (currently not installed)

any other mods that will help me reach my goal??
MADMKIII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 08:48 PM   #2
cre

Toyota
Racing
Development

cre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond repute

FMIC = Front Mount InterCooler.... The stock IC is a FMIC. Now, as for upgrading it.... cooler air will always net you more power per every unit of air/fuel mixture. If you're running the stock turbo or don't plan on running one much bigger then a larger intercooler is a must in my book.

Other upgrades I would recommend a higher volume fuel pump and a fuel controller. If you're keeping it in the mid 3xx's the stock injectors will probably be fine but definitely send them out for cleaning and blueprinting... An adjustable fuel pressure regulator can help you ensure you're not running the injectors past 80% d.c. and help ensure a nice clean spray pattern.
If something breaks or you need to contact a member of the administration please post HERE. Unless it's a private or administration matter please post it on the forum. It benefits no one else if car related questions aren't posted for future users and takes away from the time I'm able to spend helping on the rest of the forum.

If you're so inclined I'm always more than happy to accept tips via PayPal.
Tip Jar --->
cre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 08:59 PM   #3
MADMKIII
Stock

ok thanks yea i will definetly upgrade the fuel pump and get a fpr and as a fuel controller what do u recomend? and i dont have any plans for the turbo maybe a ct26 57 trim in the future. if any one have any more suggestions feeel free im new to supras and im also using the search button but its also good to get some updated info
Old 02-09-2011, 10:50 PM   #4
cre

Toyota
Racing
Development

cre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond repute

For such modest goals you really don't need much more than an Apex'i SAFC II or Neo. If you want to do your own tuning you'll need an onboard wideband O2 sensor and a gauge (if your fuel controller doesn't integrate with it); I'd recommend the Innovate Motorsports' LC-1, it's an inexpensive unit and it's very reliable.

If you're planning on pushing things further and want to really push your limits a piggy back like the MAFT Pro or a full stand alone EMS may be more to your liking. These would allow you do remove the airflow meter, offer built in boost and timing control and so on.... but they're not for the faint of heart and take a lot of work to get dialed in perfectly.
If something breaks or you need to contact a member of the administration please post HERE. Unless it's a private or administration matter please post it on the forum. It benefits no one else if car related questions aren't posted for future users and takes away from the time I'm able to spend helping on the rest of the forum.

Tip Jar --->
Old 02-10-2011, 02:47 AM   #5
MADMKIII
Stock

i see well i dont think ill be doing my own tunning i have no idea of how it works so i dont want to take a chance on messing something up, i see lots of peps here say to do the lexus afm and injector change but its not nessesary for 350ish whp is it? and i can get ahold of a apex-i safc I locally are those any goood?
Old 02-10-2011, 05:19 AM   #6
supraturbo_mk3
3" Exhaust

supraturbo_mk3 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by cre View Post
For such modest goals you really don't need much more than an Apex'i SAFC II or Neo. If you want to do your own tuning you'll need an onboard wideband O2 sensor and a gauge (if your fuel controller doesn't integrate with it); I'd recommend the Innovate Motorsports' LC-1, it's an inexpensive unit and it's very reliable.

If you're planning on pushing things further and want to really push your limits a piggy back like the MAFT Pro or a full stand alone EMS may be more to your liking. These would allow you do remove the airflow meter, offer built in boost and timing control and so on.... but they're not for the faint of heart and take a lot of work to get dialed in perfectly.

Your like a walking supra encyclopedia lol.....No really though your very thorough in your response most people have the half ass answer and then people throw in bits of info here and there but you pretty much have it all covered lol

87 Supra N/A JDM 7MGTE, 8psi, 2.5inch Exhaust, 18inch Rim's, 255/45/18 rear, 255/40/18 front, 3inch DP, Ported 3inch elbow, Stage 2 6 puck Clutch

95 Eclipse GST 15psi, 3inch Stainless Steel Exhaust, 3inch DP, MBC, 2.5inch Upper I/C piping, Short Throw Shifter, Stainless Steel turbo inlet, Type S BOV (Sold)

89 Supra Turbo, 12psi, 3inch Exhaust, Ebay intake, 2.5inch Upper I/C piping, ARP Head Studs, Stainless Turbo Manifold Tial BOV (Sold)
(Sold)
supraturbo_mk3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 08:15 AM   #7
cre

Toyota
Racing
Development

Quote:
Originally Posted by MADMKIII View Post
i see well i dont think ill be doing my own tunning i have no idea of how it works so i dont want to take a chance on messing something up, i see lots of peps here say to do the lexus afm and injector change but its not nessesary for 350ish whp is it? and i can get ahold of a apex-i safc I locally are those any goood?
The larger injectors are preferable to just increasing pressure. Increasing pressure may result in an a finer spray pattern and increased flow but the injectors may leak sooner than otherwise too. I suggest working all angles; larger injectors pushing their top rated pressure at a medium-low duty cycle.

What I don't like about the Lexus AFM housing + 550cc/min injector upgrade is that it's a blind upgrade. The assumption is that with an even increase in air and fuel that there's no difference but that's never the case and there's ALWAYS room for improvement; Fuel maps aren't just some linear graph. The Lex housing doesn't provide any major reduction in airflow restriction to make it worthwhile if you're also using a fuel controller.

A fuel controller (which actually only controls how much air the ECU is seeing) servers pretty much the same purpose as the Lex housing... it lies. The difference is that with the controller you have.. wait for it.. control! You have control over how much air the ECU is being told is or isn't coming into the engine and at which RPM and load level. Personally, I wouldn't run a lex housing unless I got it for $20..... and then I'd still be adding a fuel controller and doing some tuning.

The Lex housing isn't a bad idea; As they say "every little bit helps". But, it's not the first thing on my shopping list.

Tip Jar --->
Old 02-11-2011, 02:03 AM   #8
916MKIIIx2
3" Exhaust

916MKIIIx2 is on a distinguished road

I think the upgrade I personally have enjoyed the most, being in California... a fat giant shiny radiator... I think cre has everything covered xD
916MKIIIx2 is offline   Reply With Quote