Home / Toyota Supra Forums

Go Back   Toyota Supra Forums! Join the Supra forum! > Performance, Modification, and Maintenance Forums - for generation specific discussions > MKIII Supra

Old 09-18-2010, 02:43 AM   #1
bradenman1
3" Exhaust

bradenman1 is on a distinguished road
Default Need Help and opinnions on my rebuild!!!

ok so i have a 7mgte with a blown head gasket (shocker :P) and valves that have broken loose and are now slapping against the pistons and head, i planned to rebuild the car almost completely with engine rebuild, MHG, intercooler and BOV, oil cooler, and alot more. my problem is i priced a complete rebuild at Driftmotion with upgraded oil pump/oil pan, forged pistons, all machine work, new stock valves (if the head is usable), full arp hardware, 7/8 exhaust stud upgrade, braided internal oil line, and probably more that i cant remember. this was all for 400 whp reliably for everyday use and room to grow if i wanted to. If im going to redo everything anyway would it be more benificial and cheaper for me to swap in a 2jz and build from there??? idk what to do im stuck at this point both seem like good options but idk which way to go.

also i have heard very good things about the builds driftmotion does and all their machine work is well done from what iv read, does anyone have any imput on this or have had an engine rebuilt with them id like to know how your experience was with them before i decide to send my 7mgte off to them or try to sorce a 2j depending on which way i go.

thank you for reading all help is greatly appreciated

1995 NIssan altima with 2 year old pant on black Drag DR-8 17x7 Wheels with brand new Goodyear Eagle GT's
Custom Blue Parking lights with White silverstar head lights
JDM Ebay Catback Exhaust.
K&N air filter.
(Totaled Due To An Idiot)

bone stock (for now) 1990 Supra Turbo With a brand new CT-26 Turbo And New Exhaust Manifold. Now With A Brand New Blown Head Gasket

Now driving a 99 Nissan Maxima 5spd with the passanger side bashed in from passing out at the wheel nice cars ehh??
bradenman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2010, 03:00 AM   #2
Travis89Turbo
12psi boost

Travis89Turbo is on a distinguished road

Imho if u want reliable power go jz. U could get your 400hp mark with basic upgrades such as down pipe intercooler and intake plus a boost controller on 2jz. If u went 1jz u would need to go to a single turbo or upgraded twins due to the cheap turbos Toyota used on them.

1995 Toyota Supra SE 71k miles. Master power T70
stock 2jzge

1989 Toyota Supra. 1jzgte swap 5 speed of course..
Driftmotion 60-1 single turbo kit. Cxracing FMIC. 2jz 550cc injectors... soon to come..... EMS Stinger. BC 264 cams 680cc injectors Spec stage 4 clutch and A LOT of boost!------SOLD

1999 Ford F350 diesel

2004 Jaguar XJR Supercharged

If it hasnt broke you haven pushed it hard enough!!
Travis89Turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2010, 03:11 AM   #3
bradenman1
3" Exhaust

i have really considered going 2jz and theres a shop close to me that has cast aluminum manifolds and all kinds of other goodies they could throw in it for me its going to take some time to get the funds for this but it will be fun in the end

1995 NIssan altima with 2 year old pant on black Drag DR-8 17x7 Wheels with brand new Goodyear Eagle GT's
K&N air filter.

bone stock (for now) 1990 Supra Turbo With a brand new CT-26 Turbo And New Exhaust Manifold. Now With A Brand New Blown Head Gasket

Now driving a 99 Nissan Maxima 5spd with the passanger side bashed in from passing out at the wheel nice cars ehh??
Old 09-18-2010, 03:15 AM   #4
Travis89Turbo
12psi boost

I promise u won't be disappointed or broke down on the side of the road with a BHG if u go jz.

stock 2jzge

Driftmotion 60-1 single turbo kit. Cxracing FMIC. 2jz 550cc injectors... soon to come..... EMS Stinger. BC 264 cams 680cc injectors Spec stage 4 clutch and A LOT of boost!------SOLD

1999 Ford F350 diesel

Old 09-18-2010, 03:27 AM   #5
bradenman1
3" Exhaust

that sounds nice and im sure the jz will take the daily driver/ weekend drifter abuse just fine, what is the stock hp limit on the 2jz? like before i have to start upgrading internals and what not.

and did you just throw your 1jz in once you got it or did you have a mild rebuild done before you put it in? i want my motor to run well thats all i want i dont want any problems with it untill after 200k miles like mine did it made it to 238k before it blew it still runs but it sounds like chewbocka and a teapot boiling every time its driven

K&N air filter.

Old 09-18-2010, 03:44 AM   #6
Travis89Turbo
12psi boost

Well here is the magic of a jz engine the block including pistons and rods are capable time and time again of 900hp. the valvetrain however is only good to around 600hp. Plenty for a daily driver.

I didnt do any kind rebuild on my 1jz I bought the front clip and it only had 48k miles on it but they sit for awhile in Japan so I replaced the timing. Serp. Belt. Front and rear main seals. Neither appeared to be leaking nor is there any sign of a leak on the whole engine. I also replaced all vacuum lines and installed a catch can to pro long the life of the the stock twin turbos

2jzgte doesn't have the same problem with the turbos.

Chewbaca rules. But not when ur car mocks him

stock 2jzge

1999 Ford F350 diesel

Last edited by Travis89Turbo; 09-18-2010 at 03:46 AM.
Old 09-18-2010, 03:44 AM   #7
MJG
3" Exhaust

MJG is on a distinguished road
Default Nothing wrong with the 7MGTE

I have purchased parts from Driftmotion. Bad advise, good parts. However, I have no experience with Driftmotion rebuilds.
Having said that, the list you supply sounds good for a "reliable" 400 WHP build.
I really question the infactuation with the 1JZ. The 7MGTE is a strong engine. Capable of outstanding performance. Correcting the head gasket issue makes it VERY reliable.
NOTHING wrong with with the 1JZ or 2JZ, but why go to the trouble?
I suggest you weigh the cost of all options, rebuild verses engine swap. Consider the "quality" of the JZ engine you intend to purchase. Do you know the real condition of that JDM engine? Most likely, a rebuild of the engine will be required prior to install, to make sure it is sound.
Bottom line, their is nothing wrong with the old tractor motor.
MJG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2010, 03:57 AM   #8
Travis89Turbo
12psi boost

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJG View Post
I have purchased parts from Driftmotion. Bad advise, good parts. However, I have no experience with Driftmotion rebuilds.
Having said that, the list you supply sounds good for a "reliable" 400 WHP build.
I really question the infactuation with the 1JZ. The 7MGTE is a strong engine. Capable of outstanding performance. Correcting the head gasket issue makes it VERY reliable.
I suggest you weigh the cost of all options, rebuild verses engine swap. Consider the "quality" of the JZ engine you intend to purchase. Do you know the real condition of that JDM engine? Most likely, a rebuild of the engine will be required prior to install, to make sure it is sound.
My facuation with the 1jz is experience i have had both and the m series engine is way more prone to oil leaks. And coolant leaks even after replacing all hoses. It's still a bad ass motor but is very old technology. Head gasket even after repairing still have a high chance of leaking due to poor design of the head. but I'm not a 7m hater I have built two and one over 500hp. And it was fast. but it seemed after every race there would be a new leak somewhere.

As far as the swap goes. It is hella easy. I would put it next to swapping a honda if the wiring wasn't so tedious but 7 bills can fix that. And with just a turbo upgrade u can have 600hp with a stock engine. That's why I fell inlove with the jz series. Not to mention all the details of the engineering differences that makes it so reliable and strong. I bought mIne as a front clip so I could have actual miles which was 48k BTW. And that motor was absolutely spotless not a drop of oil anywhere on it and it dropped in and runs like a champ. but be catious of buying an engune the company I got mine from sent me video of it running in the clip and did a compresion check on the video

stock 2jzge

1999 Ford F350 diesel

Last edited by Travis89Turbo; 09-18-2010 at 04:03 AM.
Old 09-18-2010, 04:11 AM   #9
bradenman1
3" Exhaust

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJG View Post
im not saying there is anything wrong with it i just dont think my engine is going to be as repairable as it needs to be if i need to buy a head i think i might just junk it but its still up in the air

and i admire the fact that the 1j and 2j are easy to upgrade to higher levels of hp with one upgrade i like both series and may end up building both in the long run id love a divorced down pipe and so when i take the twins for a spin i hear them as soon as it turns over

K&N air filter.

Old 09-18-2010, 10:42 PM   #10
bradenman1
3" Exhaust

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis89Turbo View Post
My facuation with the 1jz is experience i have had both and the m series engine is way more prone to oil leaks. And coolant leaks even after replacing all hoses. It's still a bad ass motor but is very old technology. Head gasket even after repairing still have a high chance of leaking due to poor design of the head. but I'm not a 7m hater I have built two and one over 500hp. And it was fast. but it seemed after every race there would be a new leak somewhere.

As far as the swap goes. It is hella easy. I would put it next to swapping a honda if the wiring wasn't so tedious but 7 bills can fix that. And with just a turbo upgrade u can have 600hp with a stock engine. That's why I fell inlove with the jz series. Not to mention all the details of the engineering differences that makes it so reliable and strong. I bought mIne as a front clip so I could have actual miles which was 48k BTW. And that motor was absolutely spotless not a drop of oil anywhere on it and it dropped in and runs like a champ. but be catious of buying an engune the company I got mine from sent me video of it running in the clip and did a compresion check on the video
what company did you buy the engine from if i can get an engine like that comp tested and runing in video id be alot more at ease about buying one

K&N air filter.