Home / Toyota Supra Forums

Go Back   Toyota Supra Forums! Join the Supra forum! > Performance, Modification, and Maintenance Forums - for generation specific discussions > MKIII Supra

Old 08-20-2010, 02:28 PM   #1
Streetlimitz89
Stock

Streetlimitz89 is on a distinguished road
Question What Should i do?

im currently enrolled in school and the financial aid is going to be sending me a check for the amount of money i didnt use with the schooling for this semester.... i have been searching around and ive come across a 89 mkIII for 800 and it has the 7mgte engine.. the owner says it runs.. but smokes heavily .. i was assuming bad rings ( Blow By) would 800 be worth getting a 89 or should i find an 86?? ive heard a few different things from friends .. but none of them really know what they are talkign about .
Streetlimitz89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 02:43 PM   #2
cre

Toyota
Racing
Development

cre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond repute

willthis be your only car? will you have to pay a shop to fiji work on it? do you not have an extra $1000 in the bank tocover expenses when out breaks down? are you looking for a *reliable* cheap car?

if you said yes to any if these, forget the supra platform...
If something breaks or you need to contact a member of the administration please post HERE. Unless it's a private or administration matter please post it on the forum. It benefits no one else if car related questions aren't posted for future users and takes away from the time I'm able to spend helping on the rest of the forum.

If you're so inclined I'm always more than happy to accept tips via PayPal.
Tip Jar --->
cre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 04:39 PM   #3
Streetlimitz89
Stock

No it will not be my daily driver.. i have a honda for that .. im looking for one to play with i guess i shold call it .. i am going to school for auto mechanics and paint and body ... it has the 7mgte with upgraded turbo .. accordign to what the seller said about it ... i wont now forsure untill i go look at it tomorrow alot of people said the year 89 was notorious for blowing Headgaskets on a regular basis .. im not all sure about toyotas since i have only really spent my time working on chryslers and hondas ... im getting close to 4 thousand back from financial aid and i figured 800 for the car and a trip to advance to buy gaskets and internal replacement parts.. ie piston rings and so on. any body know any sites that offer performance parts at a Semi cheap price .. ( name Brand) not knock off brandsi found a set of stage 2 cams with retainers and springs for 500$ from Crower .. i read the reviews and alot of people said it gave a rough idle .. i found 550cc injectors for 113$ each . x6 = 678 =/ comes with o-rings and they are low impedence figured it wouldnt be bad .. i have hook-ups at advance auto for gauges and other things i also found a 8 gallon fuel cell for 300$ not sure on what kind of fuel pump to go with im going to Strip the interior no raido, speakers, carpet and the bare minium to get the car street legal . i looked at the rims i want for it ... gonna have to wait a LONG TIME for them .. unless i can fiind a used set of decent looking on craigs list ... im looking for 19x8.5 for rear and 18x 7.5 for front More of this design but i want the center section to be gold not all silver http://charlotte.craigslist.org/pts/1908305541.html

but any site you guys know of to get good parts cheap would be wonderful help to me and once i aquire the car i will post build before and after pics and In progress pics also .. i might also post videos of progress ( walk by's and commentary on what i am doing .. ) for suspension i am going to save a bunch of money .. i am going to Just do the old Style CUT technique on them .. and maybe sooner or later get a tien coilover set i play the forza motor sport 3 game quite a bit and i built one on there that pretty much is exactly how i want it to look .. (performance on the game is pretty much un realistic) im looking for a paint scheme that is charcoal grey with a CF hood and probally Stock bumpers and body kits .. no modifications to it .. i want it to look fast like a Ricer but perform like a champ .. soo pretty much going for the sleeper look but once its done i guess i will find out

Any info would be of great help
Old 08-20-2010, 07:19 PM   #4
Green7mgte
Supra Forum Moderator

Green7mgte is on a distinguished road

all supras are known for BHG.. is low torque factory defect. torque the hg to 75

600+ for 550cc? to much..

heres acouple well known stores.

suprasport
driftmotion

I just bought a set of 550 cc low impedance supra sport custom injectors for 270.. brand new =)they usually go for 400+ and are better IMO than RC.. don't go venom brand injectors.. oh yea they also fit the stock clips.. whoot!

92 Ma71 7mGTE Auto. SafcII
Supra FAQ
Supra MKIII FAQ
Classified Section guidelines :

Green7mgte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 09:46 PM   #5
Streetlimitz89
Stock

okay ill check that store out i was getting tht price from idk where but i knw honda injectors are pricey soo it kinda made sense out in my little mind but okay ill check those stores i posted and ill see what i can find... i think i am going to go with adding the lsd first .. not to sure .. im also building a budget soo lol it might take me a while to have it the way i want ... but the car is a definate the guy is holding it for me, he said he really wanted to see it go to sombody who would actually make it into one of them Sport fast cars as he said ... and the rims that i posted from craigs list im going to try and pick them up real soon 600$ for those shouldnt be a bad price since ive seen the same rims ( prolly Different brand) selling for 2500$ i looked at that price and i was like ( i love the little emoticons) soo i figure those rims some falken or bfg tires leave the body stock ... cut a hole in the hood for the turbo or maybe not ( still havent decided) maybe a carbon fiber hood ... the fuel cell is a def .. its not going to be a daily driver going to be a weekend track car .. i got a tuning shop here in nc not to far from me ... all they do is build( Very Pricey tho) and tune Cars. im looking/hoping to pull 400-450 WHPand hopfully the weight wont be a big issue with the power to weight ratio...being that i am going to be totally stripping the interior 100% except driver bucketi might Cut the dash in half or just remove it 100% and build a alum dash with necessary gauges and a steering wheel mount thats about it .. im looking also at a hydraulic E-Brake fo when i want to go to the wll mart paarking lot at 3AM and practice drifting im also looking at doing a spray bar on the intercooler.... whats the max boost reccomended to run on a stock block? j/w BTW im going with a .61 AR t3/t4 to start and then going up to a larger

What size head gasket should be used for a 400-450 whp build 1.5 or 2.0

Last edited by Streetlimitz89; 08-20-2010 at 10:01 PM. Reason: for got to ask a question
Old 08-21-2010, 01:44 AM   #6
Green7mgte
Supra Forum Moderator

Green7mgte is on a distinguished road

wouldnt go over 10 psi. forged internals is recommended for 14+.

goes to bed whistling.. "hes got HIGH hopes.. hes got.. hiiiiigh hopes, hot apple pie in the skyyyy hopes.."

good luck

92 Ma71 7mGTE Auto. SafcII
Supra FAQ
Supra MKIII FAQ
Classified Section guidelines :

Green7mgte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 02:02 AM   #7
Streetlimitz89
Stock

well we will see if i decide to go with a larger amout of boost ill be sure to get different rods and get the bottom end built right eagle rods and probally the je pistons i would go with crower but man that expensive... soo once i aquire the car i will see how it is engine wise get that mechanically sound and start the tear down at the schoolas the parts roll in i will re-assemble... piece by piece...

thanx for the advice and like i said i will post pics and vids when i can