Home / Toyota Supra Forums

Go Back   Toyota Supra Forums! Join the Supra forum! > Performance, Modification, and Maintenance Forums - for generation specific discussions > MKIII Supra

Old 08-14-2010, 05:58 PM   #1
afsvanderveen
Stock

afsvanderveen is on a distinguished road
Question 87 to 89 conversion

hey there, I bought a mint 89 turbo chassis and already had a 87 turbo car. The 87 was in rough shape but the engine is great. it been taken care of and the head has all been redone already. I want to put my gear in the 89 car. The 87 is atomatic and I am putting a 5 speed from another turbo car into the 89, which was originally a maual to begin with. So that wont be too bad. the guy I bought the 89 from cut the fuse box and a bunch of other components out and just cut the wirring for the gauge cluster and again other things out of the car. I was going to re wire the entire car with my 87 components. Basically start from scratch. Does anyone have experience or links or any advice to make this easier? There is a ton of wirring and its a daunting task. Is there anything thats the same between cars, ie body wirring, ect? I know the engine wirring is likely diffrent but thought I look for some help. Thanks a lot!!!!
afsvanderveen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 06:25 PM   #2
CanadianBak'inSupra
Official hall monitor / search nazi - NO SOUP FOR YOU!

CanadianBak'inSupra is on a distinguished road

as far as i know there should be little differences between the 2.
and really the wiring is strait forward, each plug onnly has one place to go and only 1 other plug will mate with it...

easier than you think.
Old 08-14-2010, 07:19 PM   #3
cre

Toyota
Racing
Development

cre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond repute

Quite different actually. Different engine harness, different dash harness and all of the lighting connectors are different but the wiring and internal clips are all the same IIRC.
If something breaks or you need to contact a member of the administration please post HERE. Unless it's a private or administration matter please post it on the forum. It benefits no one else if car related questions aren't posted for future users and takes away from the time I'm able to spend helping on the rest of the forum.

If you're so inclined I'm always more than happy to accept tips via PayPal.
Tip Jar --->
cre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 03:51 PM   #4
CanadianBak'inSupra

oh wow, didnt know.
but either way every clip can only go into its mate clip.
thanks for clearing that up!
Old 08-15-2010, 08:07 PM   #5
cre

Toyota
Racing
Development

cre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianBak'inSupra View Post
either way every clip can only go into its mate clip.
I'm not sure what you mean by this..
If something breaks or you need to contact a member of the administration please post HERE. Unless it's a private or administration matter please post it on the forum. It benefits no one else if car related questions aren't posted for future users and takes away from the time I'm able to spend helping on the rest of the forum.

Tip Jar --->
Old 08-16-2010, 02:13 AM   #6
afsvanderveen
Stock

i think he means every plug, as they all semm to be diffrent either by shape or colour with corresponding male and female ends. I think thats it, correct me if im wrong though. So im sure the wirring is quite diffrent now, i am tearing everything out of the 87 to put in the 89 chassis. What a job this will be. Any ideas on what may plug and play? Heater box? or any of that stuff? I was hopping some items may mesh between years but so far it doesnt look like it.
Thanks
Old 08-16-2010, 02:56 AM   #7
CanadianBak'inSupra

Quote:
Originally Posted by cre View Post
I'm not sure what you mean by this..
obviously a triangle cant fit into a square...
Old 08-16-2010, 11:57 PM   #8
afsvanderveen
Stock

ok i get that,duh lol. I was looking at the tail light connecters and I can plug my 89 light in to the 87 harness. Do they work fine like that or do the pins feed power diffrently between years? Its a ton of work to pull all the wirring and change them over, maybe ill just have to go out to where the 89 is parked and start looking around. Thought maybe someone had more experience, in this area. thanks again though.its starting to rack my brain a bit
Old 08-17-2010, 12:57 AM   #9
CanadianBak'inSupra

if your tail lights plug in fine check your fuses in both cars, should be the same, so i imagine they would be fine.

its a massive harness its pretty funny
Old 08-17-2010, 01:09 AM   #10
cre

Toyota
Racing
Development

Front signals have a different lamp holder... either cut the old one off and crimp/solder on one of the right year or file off the bits that get in the way.

Tip Jar --->