Home / Toyota Supra Forums

Go Back   Toyota Supra Forums! Join the Supra forum! > Performance, Modification, and Maintenance Forums - for generation specific discussions > MKIII Supra

Old 08-07-2010, 06:11 PM   #11
Supra Saiyan
3" Exhaust

Supra Saiyan is on a distinguished road

Dude, if it's a headgasket problem. Sounds like it is. I asked some shops around here what they would charge to do it. $1100ish!! Thats not bad if your not doing it yourself. That also included the ARP head studs, cometic metal head gasket, head getting machined! An the most work would be you getting it to the shop.! The shops that quoted me where not the BIG CHAIN shops. Just small, local, TUNER shops! Hope this helps. Find a reputable tuner shop and ask them about pricing out a BHG. Should be right around the price above.. If I remember correctly (5hrs - 6hrs of work to do the head gasket)..

APR HEAD STUDS - $130 -----> CLICK HERE
COMETIC METAL HEADGASKET - $180/$220 -----> CLICK HERE
MACHINE HEAD UP - $100
SHOP PER-HR - $90 (8HR of work)

TOTAL - $1130/$1170
Supra Saiyan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 06:30 PM   #12
cre

Toyota
Racing
Development

cre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond repute

I appreciate your enthusiasm, but you've got an incomplete and rather distorted image of the world in your head...

The cost for a shop to do a HG is going to vary GREATLY depending on the local market. There's not one shop out here that would make that quote that I trust to open a jar for me.... that and i have very little faith in tuner shops.

Another problem with just phoning up is that most shops just estimate it "by the book".... then things start breaking, they realize the block has to be pulled and machined due to warpage and pitting (or worse they just leave it as is and the HG blows again in a year). It's a 20+ year old engine which has most likely been beaten and abused its entire life.
If something breaks or you need to contact a member of the administration please post HERE. Unless it's a private or administration matter please post it on the forum. It benefits no one else if car related questions aren't posted for future users and takes away from the time I'm able to spend helping on the rest of the forum.

If you're so inclined I'm always more than happy to accept tips via PayPal.
Tip Jar --->
cre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 11:06 PM   #13
Green7mgte
Supra Forum Moderator

Green7mgte is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by cre View Post
It's a 20+ year old engine which has most likely been beaten and abused its entire life.
7m, the redheaded stepchild of the sport car community.

"What were the figures you were given for the comp. tests, was there a set of "dry" and "wet" figures given?

Engine, N/A? Turbo? Model year? US/JDM etc? please help us to help you "

the rough running like your driving on a road with a bunch of holes cound be caused by any number of items.. bad cracked air lines.. fuel pump.. spark plugs. leads..
what codes are you tossing? see the faq to diagnose codes.

92 Ma71 7mGTE Auto. SafcII
Supra FAQ
Supra MKIII FAQ
Classified Section guidelines :

Green7mgte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 12:22 AM   #14
clarence jenkins
Stock

clarence jenkins is on a distinguished road
Default clarence jenkins

dont look at this as a bad thing,,you have one of the most sought after cars on the road today and to have a real paformance car, you have to know your paformance car. my advice to you is to get a book and breake that engin down and learn it as you go. it wont cost you that much if you do it yourself and youl know as well as understand the parts as you go. now when your done and you turn that key and she leaves under her own power,,,and she aswers to your expectations, then youl know that you looked into her heart and saw first hand, what shes made of. her thanks to you will be that latenight run where she paforms like a champ, and you come away feeling like you two are one...i know,,,iv been there. good luck and youl be ok
clarence jenkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 04:33 AM   #15
cre

Toyota
Racing
Development

cre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond repute

The big concern here is the swapping in of another USED engine... without rebuilding it you have NO IDEA what you're going to end up with. Swapping in a used engine without rebuilding it first is just stupid... and since you're going to be rebuilding an engine, might as well save the money on the second one and rebuild the one you have.
If something breaks or you need to contact a member of the administration please post HERE. Unless it's a private or administration matter please post it on the forum. It benefits no one else if car related questions aren't posted for future users and takes away from the time I'm able to spend helping on the rest of the forum.

Tip Jar --->
Old 08-08-2010, 05:47 AM   #16
Supra Saiyan
3" Exhaust

Quote:
Originally Posted by clarence jenkins View Post
dont look at this as a bad thing,,you have one of the most sought after cars on the road today and to have a real paformance car, you have to know your paformance car. my advice to you is to get a book and breake that engin down and learn it as you go. it wont cost you that much if you do it yourself and youl know as well as understand the parts as you go. now when your done and you turn that key and she leaves under her own power,,,and she aswers to your expectations, then youl know that you looked into her heart and saw first hand, what shes made of. her thanks to you will be that latenight run where she paforms like a champ, and you come away feeling like you two are one...i know,,,iv been there. good luck and youl be ok
Are you a petafile? No j/k j/k.. I TOTALLY AGREE!!
Old 08-08-2010, 06:24 AM   #17
cre

Toyota
Racing
Development

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supra Saiyan View Post
Are you a petafile? No j/k j/k.. I TOTALLY AGREE!!
I'm just going to start deleting your posts...

Seriously though.... W T F ? Over 20yo is MILES from pedo status....

Tip Jar --->
Old 08-08-2010, 06:57 AM   #18
Supra Saiyan
3" Exhaust

Quote:
Originally Posted by cre View Post
I'm just going to start deleting your posts...

Seriously though.... W T F ? Over 20yo is MILES from pedo status....
I'm confused.. Are you serious, or you just joshing me?

Last edited by Supra Saiyan; 08-08-2010 at 07:01 AM.