Home / Toyota Supra Forums

Go Back   Toyota Supra Forums! Join the Supra forum! > Performance, Modification, and Maintenance Forums - for generation specific discussions > MKIII Supra

Old 07-25-2010, 03:00 AM   #1
bryanf89
3" Exhaust

bryanf89 is on a distinguished road
Exclamation 7m on life support

Heres my story, about a month ago i had to towed my car to a mechanic that i been going to for about two months, cool dude. My 89 supra's clutch master cylinder wanted to break on the night i was with a girl, great -__-. The next i towed my car. When i got it back, the mechanic, that i trustED, told me my engine needed a tune up. He fixed everything that needed to be fixed, but now my engine has problems?! He told me he took it home because he didnt want to take a chance of leaving it in that neighborhood and wanted to test out the cylinder. I told him that my engine was running good before i bought it here, not it has problems, what gives?! He told me that the engine needed a tune up that first he started it.

It turns out that sonofabitch blew my headgasket. It was worst than i thought, when i took off the head. He must of ran the engine so hard, that it overheated to the point that the block expanded! Theres a slight gap between the piston and wall, lost compression according to the gauge. I would take legal action, but i have no proof and its bad enough that i towed it over there. Smh, my trust issues have just escalated.

Now, no further digressing. The 7m is on life support and its doesnt seem cost effective to rebuild it. Im going 2jze twin turbo vvti from jdm imports shop in new jersey. My questions are this. Will i be able to use my aluminum driveshaft? I have an apexi power intake kit, can i salvage that also. I also have the blitz nur cat back exhaust, will that be able to stay. Im leaving this supra to the professionals at e shift performance.
Any advice will be helpful thanks.
bryanf89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 03:29 AM   #2
btwilson86
Super Moderator

btwilson86 is on a distinguished road

If you're sticking with the same transmission, and it stays in the same spot (not sure if it would need to move or not to accommodate the different engine), then you *should* be able to use the driveshaft. I'm not sure on the intake though...
Driftmotion 57trim CT26, Upgraded Intercooler, 2.25" Hard Pipes, 3" Turbo Back Exhaust with Test Pipe, HKS VPC w/GM 3 bar MAP sensor, APEXi S-AFC, Walbro 255lph fuel pump, ProSport EVO Series Boost / Fuel Pressure / AFR gauges, Lotek a Pillar Gauge Pod, HKS Type 0 Turbo Timer, Eibach Lowering Springs, Tokico Illumina II TEMS struts, custom powder coated Motegi Racing TrakLite wheels
btwilson86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 03:52 AM   #3
bryanf89
3" Exhaust

The 2j comes with the 6speed. I do have the r154. What about the exhaust?
Old 07-25-2010, 04:12 AM   #4
907mge
20psi boost

907mge is on a distinguished road

From what I have heard the 6 speed is a very tight fit. So you might what to look into that.
907mge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 04:28 AM   #5
btwilson86
Super Moderator

btwilson86 is on a distinguished road

Well, the shifter on the v160 is further back than it is on the r154, pretty sure the transmissions are different lengths as well which means no on the driveshaft. You could still use it if you got a 1jz bellhousing for that r154 though.

As for the exhaust, you can probably get that to work with either a custom dp for the 2jz or with an aftermarket dp and an adapter pipe to fit it to your current cat-back.

If you didn't want the project to be too labor intensive, I'd stick with the r154+your driveshaft and exhaust, buy an intake for the 2jz, and sell the v160 to pay for a good chunk of the swap. Last time I checked, those transmissions still went for a good amount of money
Driftmotion 57trim CT26, Upgraded Intercooler, 2.25" Hard Pipes, 3" Turbo Back Exhaust with Test Pipe, HKS VPC w/GM 3 bar MAP sensor, APEXi S-AFC, Walbro 255lph fuel pump, ProSport EVO Series Boost / Fuel Pressure / AFR gauges, Lotek a Pillar Gauge Pod, HKS Type 0 Turbo Timer, Eibach Lowering Springs, Tokico Illumina II TEMS struts, custom powder coated Motegi Racing TrakLite wheels
btwilson86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 06:23 AM   #6
wstanek
3" Exhaust

wstanek is on a distinguished road

if he took the car home without ur approval thenu can take legal action take it and fuck him up i woulda fucked him up gooooood!
Old 07-25-2010, 02:36 PM   #7
bryanf89
3" Exhaust

@btwilson86. I was thinking of taking my ds to machine shop and letting them cut the output shaft to acommandate the length of the longer v160. You think its a good idea? Yeah the exhaust i could always weld on, but that would be my last resort, i dont like welds. I still wants to use my apexi air filter, i seen a thread on supraforums about air filters and the apexi came out on top

@wstanek, i didnt want to fuck him up, i wanted to burn his place down to the ground, so his crook ass would be a broke ass
Old 07-25-2010, 05:21 PM   #8
cre

Toyota
Racing
Development

cre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond repute

AFAIK, yes on the DS (with the R154, no with the V, with the V I believe you need a custom built DS); No on the exhaust; No on the Apexi (you'll need a different filter adapter and last I checked they weren't available individually); Fitting the V160 isn't easy, definitely not a straight drop in. There are a couple people on SM and SF who've done it with a good amount of time and custom work to get the shifter relocated... it's doable, but I don't know that I'd consider it worth the time... just one more shift to make and the gear ratios of 1 and 6 aren't much further apart IIRC.

Additionally, Unless there was already something massively wrong (coolant blockages, low oil, etc.) I doubt he managed to wreck everything in one joyride.

With the filter get a "universal" AEM DryFlow filter. Just as good as the Apexi (possibly better) and less expensive, then (if needed) just get a filter adapter off eBay.
If something breaks or you need to contact a member of the administration please post HERE. Unless it's a private or administration matter please post it on the forum. It benefits no one else if car related questions aren't posted for future users and takes away from the time I'm able to spend helping on the rest of the forum.

If you're so inclined I'm always more than happy to accept tips via PayPal.
Tip Jar --->
cre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 08:05 PM   #9
bryanf89
3" Exhaust

Quote:
Originally Posted by cre View Post
AFAIK, yes on the DS (with the R154, no with the V, with the V I believe you need a custom built DS); No on the exhaust; No on the Apexi (you'll need a different filter adapter and last I checked they weren't available individually); Fitting the V160 isn't easy, definitely not a straight drop in. There are a couple people on SM and SF who've done it with a good amount of time and custom work to get the shifter relocated... it's doable, but I don't know that I'd consider it worth the time... just one more shift to make and the gear ratios of 1 and 6 aren't much further apart IIRC.

Additionally, Unless there was already something massively wrong (coolant blockages, low oil, etc.) I doubt he managed to wreck everything in one joyride.

With the filter get a "universal" AEM DryFlow filter. Just as good as the Apexi (possibly better) and less expensive, then (if needed) just get a filter adapter off eBay.
My exhaust, i cant lose my exhaust i spend almost a gran for the complete setup, ill make it work lol. The place im taking it to does custom machine work, im sure they can come up with something to keep the apexi. Since its a twin turbo, does that mean it requires 2 filters.
Yeah you right, ill stick with tje r154 and keep the V as a spare. Can the r154 handle the engine? Yeah the engine would overheat on the highway and had other minor problemz before i took it to him, he just made it worst.
Old 07-26-2010, 12:41 AM   #10
Green7mgte
Supra Forum Moderator

Green7mgte is on a distinguished road

man sounds like your throwing allot of money at this problem.

good luck with your garage.

92 Ma71 7mGTE Auto. SafcII
Supra FAQ
Supra MKIII FAQ
Classified Section guidelines :

Green7mgte is offline   Reply With Quote