Home / Toyota Supra Forums

Go Back   Toyota Supra Forums! Join the Supra forum! > Performance, Modification, and Maintenance Forums - for generation specific discussions > MKIII Supra

Old 07-06-2010, 06:45 AM   #1
Supra Saiyan
3" Exhaust

Supra Saiyan is on a distinguished road
Smile BUYING a FIREDAMAGED MKIII

Someone is selling a fire damaged MKIII Turbo for $600. I feel like $400 is more appropriate for dipping into the unknown. Please let me know your thoughts on this purchase. I am most interested in the engine for a swap and having a parts car! It would be nice if all I needed to do where simply buy these "plastic" parts and hoses. I have even attached the pictures of it. Here is what it said in the ad.

I need to sell my 88 supra w/turbo, sport roof.
Had a small engine fire. Hoses and plastic parts melted. Needs engine wire harness.
Car runs and has 115,000 mi. Did a head gasket @ 80,000.

[IMG]file:///C:/Users/JB/AppData/Local/Temp/moz-screenshot.png[/IMG]
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	3ka3m23o15Z15P65S5a727e8063f2e7d1127a.jpg
Views:	311
Size:	9.5 KB
ID:	3247   Click image for larger version

Name:	3n53ob3l35T45P65S2a726474f7e9d792138b.jpg
Views:	323
Size:	8.3 KB
ID:	3248   Click image for larger version

Name:	3n63kf3p15Q15U25R2a72bfe8fdb03e51113d.jpg
Views:	336
Size:	11.1 KB
ID:	3249  
Supra Saiyan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 12:58 PM   #2
cre

Toyota
Racing
Development

cre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond repute

IMO, fire damage == parts car only.
If something breaks or you need to contact a member of the administration please post HERE. Unless it's a private or administration matter please post it on the forum. It benefits no one else if car related questions aren't posted for future users and takes away from the time I'm able to spend helping on the rest of the forum.

If you're so inclined I'm always more than happy to accept tips via PayPal.
Tip Jar --->
cre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 02:31 PM   #3
Supra Saiyan
3" Exhaust

Quote:
Originally Posted by cre View Post
Question about that.. So if the engine was not the cause.. Do you think I could use it in a swap. It's not like the engine could be ruined by fire if it where not severe. I was just thinking because its metal and all.

Please let me know what you think about me using the ENGINE. I just didn't know if it was something that would be considered part of the PARTS you where talking about.
Old 07-06-2010, 03:04 PM   #4
cre

Toyota
Racing
Development

cre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond repute

even a small fire can cause massive damage... especially if the engine was running at the time if the fire. oil lines and seals can burn up in no time, same for coolant lines. manifold and head can warp too (depending on the type of fire).

like I said, parts.

if you want too use the engine, plan on a complete tear down. anything less would be foolish.
If something breaks or you need to contact a member of the administration please post HERE. Unless it's a private or administration matter please post it on the forum. It benefits no one else if car related questions aren't posted for future users and takes away from the time I'm able to spend helping on the rest of the forum.

Tip Jar --->
Old 07-06-2010, 03:31 PM   #5
Green7mgte
Supra Forum Moderator

Green7mgte is on a distinguished road

ah engine fires.. brings me back to the days of my Fiaro.. Did i even spell that right? those were notorious for engine fires.. 7m's not so much, makes me wounder what caused it. nothing worse then having your cabin fill with smoke to look in the mirror and see flames licking up outa your engine grates.

92 Ma71 7mGTE Auto. SafcII
Supra FAQ
Supra MKIII FAQ
Classified Section guidelines :

Green7mgte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 03:07 AM   #6
Supra Saiyan
3" Exhaust

Quote:
Originally Posted by cre View Post
CRE, I have some new info for you.. Since I will not be able to dig to deep into this guys supra to fully check it out, however. Here are some questions and answers that I got from him..

Does it still run now? Yes
How long did the fire last? about 2 minutes
Do you know what caused the fire? yes a leak on the power steering hose
How did you extinguish the fire?Fire extingusher

What do you think? Good buy for $600. You think I may be able to pull the engine for a good purpose without having to much bad luck?

Old 07-07-2010, 04:20 AM   #7
cre

Toyota
Racing
Development

Until it's dissected on the floor of my garage.... PARTS.

I feel this way about any used powertrain components but ESPECIALLY those involved in any sort of accident.

Tip Jar --->
Old 07-07-2010, 05:06 AM   #8
batmmannn
12psi boost

batmmannn is on a distinguished road
Default The wholistic Guru

Remember you're talking to Cre, he never seems to do anything half way or by tossing a coin in the air. I say slap it together and see what it does....hehe cause I am kinda that way.... Cre would be working on a crew at Nascar, I would be the guy rigging an accelerator with a coat hanger down at the dirt track. haha

By the way I set my Ford Econoline 350 on fire with Ether last summer. I mean I set it on FIRE! It runs great and I tore nothing down, just burnt some hoses and pastic. Turned out the electric fuel pump was bad.

Last edited by batmmannn; 07-07-2010 at 05:12 AM.
batmmannn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 05:31 AM   #9
Supra Saiyan
3" Exhaust

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by batmmannn View Post
Remember you're talking to Cre, he never seems to do anything half way or by tossing a coin in the air. I say slap it together and see what it does....hehe cause I am kinda that way.... Cre would be working on a crew at Nascar, I would be the guy rigging an accelerator with a coat hanger down at the dirt track. haha

By the way I set my Ford Econoline 350 on fire with Ether last summer. I mean I set it on FIRE! It runs great and I tore nothing down, just burnt some hoses and pastic. Turned out the electric fuel pump was bad.
Hahah! I love the coat hangar bit! I may do a half way check out. i'm more trying to find out the likely hood of it going south again. It all seems like it was a simple thing that was taken care of quick enough. I think SERIOUS fire would damage the engine but not such a soft 2 min fire created by a power steering leak. I'm going to try and talk them down to $400 and steal it! I mean honestly I feel its a good price of $400 for it being a little crispy on the edges..
Old 07-07-2010, 06:16 PM   #10
batmmannn
12psi boost

batmmannn is on a distinguished road
Default Parts

Either way that car is worth a lot of money in parts on ebay!!!

batmmannn is offline   Reply With Quote