Home / Toyota Supra Forums

Go Back   Toyota Supra Forums! Join the Supra forum! > Performance, Modification, and Maintenance Forums - for generation specific discussions > MKIII Supra

Old 05-14-2010, 12:02 AM   #1
Jay633
3" Exhaust

Jay633 is on a distinguished road
Default boosting wrong. help please

hey my car just got back from shop because headgasket job. before the boost gauge would rise, but now it doesnt. were is the connections to see if they misplaced them??. when driving doesnt feel as quick. gears dont pull as much. takes forever to get to 60. suggestions?? and yes im getting aftermarket boost gauge
Jay633 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 04:11 AM   #2
cre

Toyota
Racing
Development

cre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond repute

Sounds more to me like an intake coupler is off, loose or has a big tear in it.

The boost gauge's sensor is by the cruise control actuator behind the front driver's side wheel well... it is not used by the ECU though so while the gauge won't read anything it wouldn't affect performance at all.

EDIT: And check for error codes, the details are in the MKIII FAQ.
If something breaks or you need to contact a member of the administration please post HERE. Unless it's a private or administration matter please post it on the forum. It benefits no one else if car related questions aren't posted for future users and takes away from the time I'm able to spend helping on the rest of the forum.

If you're so inclined I'm always more than happy to accept tips via PayPal.
Tip Jar --->
cre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2010, 05:17 AM   #3
Jay633
3" Exhaust

Jay633 is on a distinguished road

ok so now its boosting correctly according to aftermarket gauge. still feels kinda wierd, whats stock boost 5-psi??
Jay633 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2010, 07:20 PM   #4
Bru
Bone Stock w Upgrades ;-)

Bru is on a distinguished road
Default Stock Boost

I believe its computer limited at 7.3 PSI
Bru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2010, 07:53 PM   #5
cre

Toyota
Racing
Development

cre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond repute

No, the ECU has no idea what boost level you're running. The only control is the wastegate actuator (and boost leaks). The acceptable boost range is something around 9 to 6psi (I can't remember right now, it's in the TSRM though if you wish to look it up)... it's not uncommon for the wastegate actuator's spring to weaken over time causing a drop in boost pressure.
If something breaks or you need to contact a member of the administration please post HERE. Unless it's a private or administration matter please post it on the forum. It benefits no one else if car related questions aren't posted for future users and takes away from the time I'm able to spend helping on the rest of the forum.

Tip Jar --->
Old 05-16-2010, 08:22 PM   #6
Bru
Bone Stock w Upgrades ;-)

Bru is on a distinguished road

I have added 3.5mm of washers under the waste gate bracket to shim it up.
Bru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2010, 10:26 PM   #7
cre

Toyota
Racing
Development

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bru View Post
I have added 3.5mm of washers under the waste gate bracket to shim it up.
Bad idea. You limit the range of motion of the actuator and open yourself up to the possibility of boost creep and running lean. Just build a cheap manual boost controller... they're very easy to make and a decent bit safer to run.

Here:
http://www.gusmahon.org/html/boostcontrol.htm

Tip Jar --->
Old 05-18-2010, 07:03 PM   #8
MIKEFMKIII
Stock

MIKEFMKIII is on a distinguished road
Default boost problem

ok so leme start i replaces plugs and wires. replaced intake tube. checked for leaks cant seem to find any. my problem is if i slowly give full throttle i boost great but if im on it hard it boosts half way up the rpms then feels like it starts to miss. at idle i smell fuel and it spudders every 3 seconds not a misfire spudder but like a blank spot hard to explain more like grrrrrrrrrrPgrrrrrrrrPgrrrrrrr if thats understandable. also if im quick shifting under full throttle it falls as soon as i shift gears and hit throttle again there is a noticable miss but instantly comes back. only throws check engine light if im on it hard. any ideas??????
MIKEFMKIII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 07:44 PM   #9
cre

Toyota
Racing
Development

if the check engine light is coming on at all you need to check for codes. critical codes may only cause it to light up momentarily... many codes don't trigger the light at all.

Tip Jar --->
Old 05-18-2010, 09:17 PM   #10
ReelBandit
Stock

ReelBandit is on a distinguished road

What can you boost safely on a stock setup?
ReelBandit is offline   Reply With Quote