Home / Toyota Supra Forums

Go Back   Toyota Supra Forums! Join the Supra forum! > Performance, Modification, and Maintenance Forums - for generation specific discussions > MKIII Supra

Old 11-19-2007, 06:56 AM   #1
bluemeate
Stock

bluemeate is on a distinguished road
Default Audio and a lot of other things wrong with car

okay, so im using my dads 89 or 90 supra (i think it was 1989 model he bought in 1990) and its all junked up... apprently, someone left the volume on max cause the sound was too low on one of those cassette to cd player things, and when my dad turned the radio on, it blew out the speakers. So i got some 6x9 slappers for 20 bucks, 2 speaker boxes for 5. can anyone think of some nifty places to put them besides just laying in the very rear of the trunk facing each other? also how would i get the wiring from the radio to the back without just leaving it exposed on the floor?
Also how do i unplug the stock speakers, i was looking around and i couldnt figure out what to unscrew to get to them.

I also have this really annnnoying problem, when i turn the speakers on, with volume all the way down, i still get loud static. When i turn the speakers off, i get this hard to describe but extremely abnoxious popping/ticking/whatevering noise that happens like 2/3rd of a second. also, will this fit, and is it worth 20 bucks?
"Pioneer HeadUnit - Super Tuner Series, small scratches on face plate, 4x50w, great head unit, no harness.
20$ Shipped." (whats up with the no harness part? do i need one those, what is it?)

even though the car still runs, there is still lots of other random problems, please dont get mad, i have little knowledge of cars, so descriptions will probably be vauge, im just looking to see if these might be common known problems with htis car that have quick fixes, or where would be the first place i should look to fix it.

1. brake and clutch oil leaks really slowly, i have to refill it like once every 6 weeks or so

2. oil leaks so i gotta refill it like once every month

3. some fucker broke my antena so the bottom of it is stuck inside the little antena thing and i dont know how to get in there

4. right headlight doesnt work, but the right highbeam does.... any clue why this is happening, how to fix it?
this one right here pisses me off... at night i have to drive with my damn hand holding the highbeam on, and then take it off everytime a car is coming in my direction...

5. the gas door button switch thing under the seat doesnt work, so i have to pop open the trunk, reach my arm in some hole on the right, and then feel around for a button with my finger to pop open the gas door

6. my windshield wont stay clean... i clean it over and over and over and it keeps looking smudge and nasty, and i know its not my cleaning cuase i do other windows fine.

lots of other shit wrong with this, but nothing i really care to fix, like the front end of the car is all dented to hell, the light wont go down/up, interior is fucked, right door keyhole is broke from attempted car theft, the rubber lining is hanging off n shit... wish i had a picture, lol

oh yeah, anyone know what the mpg for city and street probably is for this car? and how big is the gas tank?

Last edited by bluemeate; 11-19-2007 at 07:03 AM.
bluemeate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2007, 07:19 AM   #2
CyFi6
3" Exhaust

CyFi6 is on a distinguished road

1. You should NOT be driving around with a leaking brake system, thats extremely dangerous, if fluid is getting out theres a good chance air can get in, and when it does youre completely screwed.

2. clean the engine really good all over with some engine cleaner spray and a hose and watch for where you find fresh oil comming from, valve covers are a common place to check.

4. Replace your sealed beam headlight unit thing, the whole glass part comes out and you replace it.

5. The cable is probably stretched, if you can get to where the cable meets the lever and you put a couple zip ties around the cable end just before the end of it, when you pull the lever the ties will contact the latch lever as if the cable werent stretched. Or just replace the cable.
CyFi6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2007, 07:26 AM   #3
bluemeate
Stock

bluemeate is on a distinguished road

1. hmmm... i remember one time all the fluid did drain out, and when i refilled it, it didnt work until i pumped the clutch up and down for like 15 minutes straight

the clutch goes out before the brake does, doesnt it? so in the event that happens, im not completely 'cant stop the car' screwed am i? or are you talking about air bubbles in the brake line?

2. the leak is reallly slow, so i dont know how i would actually watch for it... explanation?

4. uhhh?

5. ill look at it

Last edited by bluemeate; 11-19-2007 at 07:30 AM.
bluemeate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2007, 09:01 AM   #4
CyFi6
3" Exhaust

CyFi6 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluemeate
1. hmmm... i remember one time all the fluid did drain out, and when i refilled it, it didnt work until i pumped the clutch up and down for like 15 minutes straight

the clutch goes out before the brake does, doesnt it? so in the event that happens, im not completely 'cant stop the car' screwed am i? or are you talking about air bubbles in the brake line?

2. the leak is reallly slow, so i dont know how i would actually watch for it... explanation?

4. uhhh?

5. ill look at it
Im talking about the brakes, if its leaking at all, get it fixed immediately, theres nothing more important in your car than the brakes, and they need to be working 100%. If the clutch goes out its not as big a deal but it could stop disengaging fully making your transmission work really hard when you shift, prematurely wearing it out without your knowledge.

2. What im talking about, is clean the engine off really good so its nice and clean, drive it a couple days and then look for wetness, and follow where its comming from.

4. http://www.partsamerica.com/ProductD...pe=301&PTSet=A

buy that and just replace it, theres no single bulb with this type of headlight system, theres a whole glass assembly like that and you must replace the whole thing if either the regular or highbeam filiment goes bad.
CyFi6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 07:07 PM   #5
MIKEFMKIII
Stock

MIKEFMKIII is on a distinguished road

you should take the car to some one who can either teach you or do it for you most of is easy fixes with a little mechanical knowledge
MIKEFMKIII is offline   Reply With Quote